Search results

1. M

Fisher vs Scott preamp

I have both a Scott 130 and a Fisher 400C. Neither are exactly cheap these days. Both are still original and most useful as shelf ornaments as-is. Agreed the PAS 2/3 mods are the best sound for your money.
  2. M

Western electric to produce 12ax7

LOL...edit: apparently I don't know how to quote. LOL was meant for ramjet. No offense it just struct me as funny.
  3. M

I wish them well too. It's a positive story for the future of the hobby. EPA and OSHA regs might also be a challenge, but what do I know?...not much.
  4. M

Article said Russian tube shipments have resumed? How does that work given current sanctions? Also said they had to buy 100 tubes to get 30 that are acceptable. Wonder what happens to those 70 rejects? edited #'s
  5. M

My amplifier is lost in shipping, any help out there???

That is correct. I once had a PO Box at a UPS Store.
  6. M

Original dynaco ST70 coupling cap question

Realize this thread is getting old. Planning strategy for updating my fleet of Dynaco's. July '82 article from Frank Van Alstine first addressed the coupling cap issue. Also advocated bandwidth limiting R/C filters on input. https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0902/index.html...
  7. M

Dynaco Mark IV PAS2 Time Capsule barn find.

Telefunken 12AX7's. The PAS2 cover has been on "wrong" so long the faceplate patina is has a shadow. Pretty darn nice though. Just dirty.
  8. M

Dynaco Mark IV PAS2 Time Capsule barn find.

Bought this on an auction site. It was listed as a Dyna CB radio. Makes me feel guilty but it was up for a week or so. Very nice people. They provided packing and shipped it to me. Took a chance and it turned out great. Packed tightly. UPS respected:). Never owned a MKiv before. Both...
  9. M

Fisher 400 owners PLEASE READ....IMPORTANT!!!!

Not an investment banker. Well that's interesting. That's what I was told by the guy from KC who supposedly knew him so well. BS'er I guess.
  10. M

Fisher 400 owners PLEASE READ....IMPORTANT!!!!

Never met Al, but knew a guy who knew him who spoke highly contrary to the negative reviews. Bought a NOS faceplate for an 80R from his friend via AL. LOL, paid enough I could've bought a complete tuner on ebay, but I appreciated I was able to get it. He works as an investment banker afaik...
  11. M

Pilot AA-904 KT66 amp power supply transformer rewinding ?

Turned out Pilot potted this thing in epoxy. Impossible to heat or melt it out. If cosmetics are important then only way is to make a new metal box and stuff a new core inside it to match OE appearance.
  12. M

Thanks peareye. I found a NOS Thordarson 24R06U. Haven't had time to get back to it. Sam's incorrectly listed a Thordarson 24R02 as a replacement which is wrong having too low of filament current and not being an upright "U" version. Must have been a Monday. Anyway here's a listing of some...
  13. M

A woofer and a subwoofer

https://www.indoorphin.com/radio/woofer_subwoofer.mp4 Credit due the original unknown creator.
  14. M

My guess which is probably way off. When no load the ac movement favors the outside perimeter of the magnet wire. Traveling in a slightly higher orbit around the core results in an "effective" turns ratio greater than the design load. When loaded electrons disperse across the entire cross...
  15. M

Thanks, Saw several Peerless potted xmfrs today at the meet. Heathkit, Regency and something else I don't remember now. Also was a Pilot AA-410 (6v6) with similar looking xfmrs, but smaller and no mounting ears. Nobody brought their junkers with them. Maybe next month.
  16. M

6.3 volt winding on the R21A is 6.8 vac. I'm using a Fluke 87. DC resistance is real small on the filament windings...like a couple tenths of an ohm. HV is 75 ohms. The original Pilot HV winding resistance was around 130 as I remember. The triad HV is 50ma greater than Pilot so it makes sense.
  17. M

2.75" x 4.0" is the hole pattern. The transformer was removed by the PO or his tech presumably years ago. It was unsoldered properly, not just cut out. And there was a sticker on the amp from Electrical Engineering Co on W. Diversey, Chicago. Sorry, the sticker self-destructed when I cleaned...
  18. M

Thanks. Adding up filament current comes to 3.7amps for the 6.3v. KT-66 draws 1.25 amp each. 6SN7GT is .6 each So there's no extra. Size might just fit. I'm heading out the door to grab dinner with my wife. I'll check on the hole pattern in a bit. The Hammond potted like all the other...
  19. M

This pair was found on a basement shelf at an estate sale covered in dust. Been a long time since it played. Preamp is loaded with bells and whistles. Worth saving.
  20. M

Thanks. Hammond makes a potted 375XP that meets specs, but is way too big. Their 275X should fit. Edcor also makes one that fits for a little less $. Blue...guess I could paint it black? A vintage Stancor P-6143 or Thordarson 24R02U should also fit. I'm afraid a potted replacement is no...
  21. M

Yes yes yes, definitely do the cooking outside! The paint stripper softens it a little. Nothing I have found actually dissolves it. Stripper I used is methylene chloride. Not certain, but I think this stuff is off the market these days. Maybe soak it in a can of acetone and sometime this...
  22. M

Solvent testing...An hour in and no change.
  23. M

I've thought about soaking it in kerosene and striking a match. The tar I saw creeping up around the edges turned out to be from the insulated tarpaper that is wrapped around the core. The potting resin must be dissolved somehow. Acetone or maybe paint stripper, but heat won't do it. IDK.
  24. M

This thing is really glued in the can. The resin is exceptionally tough. It might be easier to make a new metal can. I'm now using a chisel and maybe the drill press next. Removed enough to see the laminations. Last night when I had it in the oven I was concerned it might go up in flames as...
  25. M

Thanks for the suggestion of adding a separate filament xfmr. I thought about it too, but didn't think there was enough room to do it and shielding might become an issue. I'll probably end up using this Triad I have. It fits the hole pattern, but has to be mounted on spacers to get it high...
Back
Top Bottom