Search results

1. Fernando

Dual 510

I have a 510, a 504 and have played with the 506. I like the 510 much better. Many components that are plastic on the other 2 were still metal on the older 510. The platter was a cast unit similar to the one in the 704 and 721. The SM-840 motor was a problem until I replaced it with an...
  2. Fernando

Dual 1218/1219/1228/1229 Appreciation thread

Got my 1229 in 1973 for my college dorm. It is still in use. Early on, I got a kit of Dual approved lubricants and have kept the unit in mint condition. About 8 years ago I gave it an overhaul, replacing the main elastomers, including the steuerpimpel and collar from the arm pivot raise/lower...
  3. Fernando

SEAS Dynaco A-25 10" Woofer DC resistance ?

I believe the 15 ohm version was used in the A-50
  4. Fernando

To stuff or not to stuff: That is the question

If ported do not touch. It will ruin the enclosure tuning. In 40 years of building speakers, I have never been happy with stuffed encosures, even closed ones. The sound always became lifeless and 2 dimensional. The measured results of stuffing is a lowered resonance because of the apparent...
  5. Fernando

What causes Shisshh in records.

"This is Kaos, ve do not shisshh here" Siegfried Sorry guys, I could not resist.
  6. Fernando

Sennheiser HD424 Headphones today . . .

I think my HD414 pads from 1969 were gray. Fernando
  7. Fernando

Philips?

The tweeter is one of the many variants of the Philips AD016X series. If fabric it was the 0163. Mid looks like Philips AD0211SQ Woofer looks like something made by Becker or Carbonneau. On second look it could be a Philips AD12200W or 12250W (difference was the magnet size. Fernando
  8. Fernando

philips 212 vs ?

This photograph clearly shows a trait of Philips arms that led me to choose a 1229 over Philips GA212 in 1973. Notice the plane of the two vertical pivot points perpendicular to the arm tube. This causes a slight side to side rocking as the cartridge moves up and down on a warped record. This...
  9. Fernando

Best bookshelf speakers of the 70s and 80's

Dynaco A25 (probably best deal ever) Polk 7 KEF 104ab LS3/5A Advent AR3a Fernando
  10. Fernando

Better sound, Philips AF-977 or GA-312 ?

I have not done a head to head but you should consider that the GA-312 and its nearly identical predecessor, the 212 were in production for quite a long time and sold many more units. Therefore parts may be easier to find. I personally love the European style of the 312 vs the plasticky look...
  11. Fernando

Belt drive versus Direct drive quality sound?

Julian Hirsch, Stereo Review's longtime equipment reviewer used to say that if a team of hamsters on a wheel could be made to turn the platter quietly at a steady speed, then it was a valid drive system. Fernando
  12. Fernando

philips 212 vs ?

Physical beauty contributes to the enjoyment of audio gear and the Philips has a classic European look. I was sorry when their newer Japanese lookalikes came out in the late 70s to replace the 312. I think the older GA202 may have been one of the most beautiful audio products ever. Fernando
  13. Fernando

Best Record Changer?

The Dual 1219 or 1229 are probably the best bets. The belt driven 1249 and 1246 were also good units. Later models such as the 1264 and 1268 had cartridge compatibility issues and were not as well made. Some swear by the older 1019. The Thorens TD-224 mentioned above was a rarity. Only 4000...
  14. Fernando

Sennheiser HD424 Headphones today . . .

The HD424 was an improved HD414. The 424 was more comfortable in that it spread the force against the ear over a wider area. The original headband lacked detents and was difficult to keep in place. Later models had detents to fix the element position along the headband. Sound was slightly...
  15. Fernando

When did you start?

I started with Sennheiser HD414s in 1969. Since then I have owned various other Sennheisers including HD424, HD420, HD340, HD545, and HD580. I still love the 580s and will not replace them in the near future. Fernando
  16. Fernando

Shure M91ED. Stylus replacement questions.

I had these in the late 60s. The difference was the 91E tracked from .75 to 1.5 grams. The 93E tracked from 1.5 to 3 grams. The 91ED meant a nude tip with somewhat better tracking than the 91E. The bodies were the same.
  17. Fernando

What do NEW speakers have over OLD speakers?

While driver materials have changed dramatically with plastics and aluminum, some very high end drivers such as Scan-Speak are going back to exotic paper and wood pulp formulations. The biggest change has been in computerized network design and use of resonance reduction techniques in...
  18. Fernando

Best Speakers Made In The 70s

KEF 105 Not only did they sound superb, but revolutionized speaker design with the use of computers for simulating the electrical slopes in conjunction with driver's acoustical slopes. Fernando
  19. Fernando

Grundig Box 525

Try this link for information http://grundig.pytalhost.com/grundig72/grundig72-55.jpg Fernando
  20. Fernando

Dual 1246

The 1246 arm is set a little higher at its base than the equivalent manuals such as the 504/521. I have a 1246 and a 504 and can see this difference. This aligns the arm of the 1246 to approximately the middle of a record stack. It relies on the knob on the headshell to change the angle of...
  21. Fernando

Dual 1246

I had a 1246 with a problematic variable VTA headshell. My solution was to use a standard non variable headshell with spacers to level out the arm. As much as a pain in the butt the 1229's VTA mechanism is, I still prefer it to the variable headshell approach of the 1228 and 1246. The 1246...
  22. Fernando

Dual 1246

What was the question?
  23. Fernando

Garrard Lab 80MkII

It is actually a changer. It is rare for a Garrard of that time in that it used a single point support umbrella spindle. Older Garrards and some newer ones used both spindle and rim support. Mine always worked well though. With the short spindle, it became a single play. Fernando
  24. Fernando

Garrard Lab 80MkII

I had one in the 60s. I liked the sound of the wooden arm. It is however, relatively high mass. One of the Shures with a damping brush or a moving coil would be a good match. I had a V15Type II Improved on it. Way too compliant for the arm. The grease tends to gum up so plan to degrease...
  25. Fernando

Soundsmith or Jico on Shure V15 IV?

Not to get Type IV lovers upset at me, I too preferred the III to the IV when it first came out. A few years later I fell in love with the VMR. I later found out that the IV stylus assembly used a dual frequency mechanical damping system in the bearing itself to control resonance (not the...
Back
Top Bottom