Search results

1. Mojoworkin

Frazier amplifier?

Look familiar? Bought this in lot that came from a storage space with a bunch of *really* nice gear (Sansui, Heathkit, Luxman) and test equipment. The PO had good taste. I wonder if it was the original poster. Listening to Ella Fitzgerald right now. Lots of clean power and does not wince at...
  2. Mojoworkin

Mac 4100 Thrift Store Find. Pix fixed!

I would totally go for a recap, but I am still cutting my teeth. I want my work to be on-par with the project. Any thoughts on the speaker terminals or how to repair the busted RCA's? I'd be inclined to replace ALL of the RCA jacks, but don't know where to source these.
  3. Mojoworkin

Thank you! Where does a fella get the replacement?
  4. Mojoworkin

Well, the way it was priced, nobody would have bought it by accident, but I did alright.
  5. Mojoworkin

Anyone in Silicon Valley and Bay Area?

I'm in Campbell. Easy to find- just drive around until you hear Yma Sumac being played at neighbor-enraging levels
  6. Mojoworkin

Fixed the pics. You will see from the photo of the knob that the metal piece is in there. Volume pot is clean. It's the loudness pot that needs some love. Can't wait to play with it some more.
  7. Mojoworkin

A Mac 4100 fell into my lap. (Serial BY 8862) Plugged 'er in and no sound. Then I noticed it's missing the pre in/out jumpers. Patched it with RCA cables and it started singing. Sounds fantastic! I'd characterize the sound as "authoritative." Takes whatever you give it, and it seems to say, "I...
  8. Mojoworkin

Macintosh 4100

Burrrmp! Watching.
  9. Mojoworkin

Picked up a non-working Fisher 500C

I am SO enjoying this thread, fellers. I have my steely gaze set on a rough-looking 500c tucked under the counter at a local record shop. One of these days if I have some spare bread and If the price is right, I'll pick it up and hang onto it until I'm ready to try this myself. (so many...
  10. Mojoworkin

Wharfie W70 Xover Project and the Case of the Mysterious Fiddly Bits

Yeh. After reading up (check the time I posted my last comments) I was thinking about giving my tweeters the Zobel Prize since I never tamed the screamies out of bright strings and certain horns. But yeah, build the crossover first, see what that's like and fiddle from there seems like the best...
  11. Mojoworkin

Well, of course this is something I can find on the Googles. Easy peasy. Audiojudgement says: "To calculate the values of the electrical components, you just need some speaker parameters: R = 1.25 * Re C = Le / R2 Re is the DC resistance of the speaker. Le is the inductance of the voice coil...
  12. Mojoworkin

Trying not to lean on him so hard. I just text him whenever I'm stumped about something, and he's been generous with his knowledge. So far He's answered questions about speakers, crossovers, tube amps, vintage stoves, steak preparation, vacation destinations, adjusting dual carburators, citrus...
  13. Mojoworkin

Zobel network, eh? Heard the words, never seen one in action, tho. Those values are fairly common, then and thus work-outable? I'm in this deep, I might as well get me some of that sublime bass while I'm at it. I am at my father's assisted living facility and furtively glancing at my phone...
  14. Mojoworkin

Blame Mr. Biggles. All I needed were a pair of 8" drivers for my Wharfdale W70's, and maybe while I'm talking to a guy who knows I can get some advice on replacing the one measly 4mfd that filters output to the tweeter. That's ALL I NEEDED. But no, he goes over and above - gives me some NOS PIO...
  15. Mojoworkin

Running powered sub from the...

That's pretty much what I expected to hear, though in all the "How do I run a sub off of my prehistoric gear with no pre-outs" threads, I never saw a mention of this method. To clarify though: I am running to the line-level in on the sub. AMTRS phono--->RCA-->Sub--->Ears
  16. Mojoworkin

Running powered sub from the...

...Headphone out. Sounds crazy, but it works well enough to get me down the road until I find an RCA Y and connect to the center out of a Scott 222c. I would, however like to know the implications of doing this. I am assuming that if my mobile phone can deal with this kind of indignity, this...
  17. Mojoworkin

How many records would it take to stop a bullet?

You are asking the wrong question. The important issue is whether one has enough Andrea Bocelli and Celine Dion records within easy reach when the shniz hits the fan.
  18. Mojoworkin

Recording Streaming Audio

I can think of lots of reasons one would want to capture a stream. Live streams of music events jumps to mind. I have airchecked my daughter's college radio shows for posterity. There are some nice proggies for routing/capturing audio streams for both Mac or PC. AudioHijack for Mac, Voicemeeter...
  19. Mojoworkin

Wharfedale W60 score! Now what? (vc rub/re-cap)

Harrrumph! I took another poke at that tinsel lead. I desoldered and re-attached at the little nub where the vc lead meets the tinsel. Still sounds fizzy. It does not sound like VC rubbing, but when I work the the cone, I can make it lightly click if I apply veeeeeery gentle pressure in just...
  20. Mojoworkin

The buzz in the second mid is definitely the mid. (from the later W70's with the real crossover) Pulled it out and verified. Now it's all coming back to me: When I stashed these in the basement in frustration and disgust a few years back, it was because of that buzz - the cause of which MIGHT...
  21. Mojoworkin

But wait! There's MORE! Second set is out of the basement. What do I need to know about these? W70's or W70-somethings? Cabinets are different. More furniture-like. Different sized drivers. Have not had look at the tweeter. Took 4 outside nuts off the enclosure, but it didn't budge Obligatory...
  22. Mojoworkin

Ah, Yes - W70's! Duh. Brainfart. Soo, did I fark up that mid by undoing them bolts, or what? I was reading about making a jig with PVC pipe and some screws to align a voice coil. Would this hack work in this case? Mr. B, I'd be into buying a mid, or mids whichever is more appropriate. Thanks...
  23. Mojoworkin

Sorry! CONE tweeter. Like this:
  24. Mojoworkin

Good Morning friends- I wanted to share my good fortune at obtaining these lovely early dome cone tweetered (not the purple pancake) Wharfedale W60's. (Actually a long time ago, but finally getting around to playing with them. Also, I have questions. Hooked them up, and the sound is "meh,"...
  25. IMG_20171230_143439

IMG_20171230_143439

Back
Top Bottom