Search results

1. mattstech

Sansui SS-2 Help

Soldered a new connector, still no difference. Right channel still having balance issues on quieter passages. Looks like it's time to take the driver out and inspect tinsel leads.
  2. mattstech

Cassette Phasing Issues at low Frequencies

What does a magnetised head sound like?
  3. mattstech

The head tilt screws (Which I am assuming are the screws along the top and bottom of the head, and spin with it) Still have the greenish glue from the factory... I do not want to adjust these. Visually from the side, the head tilt and azimuth looks to be at a perfect angle with the tape guides...
  4. mattstech

I had a large (>100 C-60s) tape duplication job to complete, so I decided to align my master deck to the duplication.ca alignment tape to achieve a good treble response, to send the master tape out for duplicating. Output attached to scope, I turn the head screws until I get the most output I...
  5. mattstech

Sansui SS-2 Help

I will try soldering a new plug. Thanks.
  6. mattstech

Sansui SS-2 Help

Bump.
  7. mattstech

Sansui SS-2 Help

Hello my friends of AK! So due to being "temporarily laid off" as to current world events, I have decided to work on some projects of mine. This includes a pair of Sansui SS-2 headphones from the early 1970s, that i managed to score at a thrift store a while back. The problem: -Often times...
  8. mattstech

What's your best thrift store speaker score?

JBL 4311s for $35 CAD Perfect condition, was just missing foam around the tweeters!
  9. mattstech

How do I clean these switches?

Thanks for this suggestion! But if I already blew an arm and a leg on DeOxit fader, I might as well just use that. Also I believe (Not sure but somehow I remember this) that import of Aerosols into Canada is prohibitively expensive due to some environmental regulations. But it seems this DeOxit...
  10. mattstech

Unfortunately not sadly :(
  11. mattstech

Thanks. I didn't want to disassemble the switch, but I'll give it a shot
  12. mattstech

Had the same issue on this one as soon as I brought it home, But moving the coupling switch around back a few times seemed to have stopped this, and it's never returned since I've cleaned the switch. I'll be replacing those tantalums with above stated electrolytic caps asap when I head to B&E...
  13. mattstech

Best I've found is a 0.1uf 63v electro. But thanks
  14. mattstech

Suggestion what to replace them with? I can buy the same value tantalum caps but it seems they get a bad rap in hifi equipment...
  15. mattstech

I live in Canada and unfortunately Caig products are very hard to get here. Had to pay almost $80 to get a small can of DeOxit Fader imported :(
  16. mattstech

Thanks. The part of the switch that moves is the orange plastic. I've tried shooting DeOxit through those two little "rail-guides", It's improved only slightly but I'm not able to get ALL of the contacts inside the switch using this method.
  17. mattstech

For the past week I've been restoring this very beautiful Yamaha CA-600. Cleaned pots, replaced some caps that have drifted off in value, centered bias... etc. etc. It sounds very nice now. Now, I really need some help with these 3 switches. I know where the contacts are, but it's impossible to...
  18. mattstech

Scintrex Model 98

I found a pair of Sharpe by Scintrex Model 9 headphones from a garage sale. The lady said I could just take them, and so I did! Not particularly good sounding phones for music, though. Paper cone drivers with harsh peaks. Anyway, I modded them with some 50mm drivers from a pair of old realistics...
  19. mattstech

What CD Player Do You Use?

I use a Pioneer PD-T510. Not excellent but has a sweet sounding dac!
  20. mattstech

My cassette deck stopped working... So I've started using this.

Here are some pictures of the insides... I couldn't find any recognizable manufacturers, however there were some logos on the preamp board and motors. Also, I was surprised to see that this mechanism isn't as bad as I expected: Might be fisher though as you've said. Not sure sadly
  21. mattstech

I believe fisher was one of the manufacturers for Sears. Wouldn't surprise me if this is just a re-branded version of the same deck!
  22. mattstech

Will open it up later today. Sears amplifier brands tended to be made by sanyo or sherwood iirc, but not sure about the cassette decks! Expect some pics soon...
  23. mattstech

That's very impressive. a basically NOS deck should sound excellent
  24. mattstech

Yes, there are different classes of quality when it comes to cassette decks. One one side we have the high end, with 3 heads, the best version of Dolby at the time, tons of options and controls. Then on the other side, we have the plastic "junkers" This is pretty obvious hahaha. But my point is...
  25. mattstech

Sony GX59ES... Keeps going into protect?

I've put the project aside for a day, but I suspect this is the case. I don't know how to read the voltage on the surround ICs as they have 5 or 6 pins instead of the "standard" 3 pins configuration. Will post some pictures I took yesterday of the inside of the unit
Back
Top Bottom