Search results

1. B

It's 2021 and my search for a new pair of outdoor speakers

I'll do that. but I'm confident they will lose bass. Even the specs shown says they will. That's been my experience with other bass reflecting speakers that the resonator is on the back. I had bookshelf Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series back in the 70's with front facing resonators as auto...
  2. B

Well I've pulled the trigger and purchased the Bowers & Wilkins AM-1's. One day about 3 weeks or so ago my inner self told me to check Best Buys website and I couldn't believe my eyes. There they were with a 1 day sale 50% off. $400.00 for $800.00 speakers, so that helped me make my...
  3. B

Thanks for the ideas so far. The Def Tech 6500s also have passive radiators and having the brick wall to reflect off of made the bass quite good. I have no clue if the speaker frying caused the take out of a channel, but for a few years I used those amps on many other sets of different speakers...
  4. B

I've run a search for outdoor speakers and almost all of them on the forum are 2-3 years old and older. Gleaned through them, but didn't seem to find enough to make a decision on what to get. My first and only pair were Def Tech AW-6500's and they sounded good enough to be indoor speakers. I...
  5. B

Praise for Definitive Technology AW6500s!!! Outdoor speakers.

Bought a pair of those Def Tech speakers. They do have a very good sound quality to them using a brick wall as the backing for them. Everyone was amazed how good they sounded and how far the sound was good through the back yard that's 250 feet deep. Then on year 3 one of them shorted out a...
  6. B

Please your advice on best speakers for my VINTAGE system

That's what's so intriguing about audio and each persons ears. To my ears any horn type speaker doesn't sound good to me with the 1010; of course it will to others. Each person has their own sound they prefer. Since I did a total refurbishing of the KW-60 Tube Receiver I haven't powered up one...
  7. B

Please your advice on best speakers for my VINTAGE system

Each brand of receiver/amp will need speakers that jive with it. My brother has a SX-1010 and it sounds better to me when the speakers are on the warm sounding side as it seems to have a bright tint in it's output. I have no clue if the SX-850 is tinted the same though. Maybe go on the...
  8. B

KLH Model 6 Restore

Damn you're getting me all worked up now. Those look awesome; nice job. I bought 2 sets of 6's late last winter for 50.00 each set and they're just sitting looking at me crying as I haven't touched them. 1 set the Cabinets are in really good shape, but the other has much swollen area of the...
  9. B

Why go old, when you can get new???? Why?

Wouldn't it suck if everyone liked the same things? We'd all be driving a Prius, all have black Poodles, all like the same beef and potatoes or all like the same hifi systems? Don't try to convince anyone of anything. You'll just frustrate yourself. :whip:
  10. B

Why go old, when you can get new???? Why?

I can only tell you what a family friend said about my most listened to setup. An old, old system comprised of a Kenwood KW-60 (tube - 30 watts output), Dual 1219 and a Shure V15III cartridge with a Pico stylus and Rectilinear Low Boy speakers. My total cost including replacing most caps in...
  11. B

KW-60 Receiver - Nearly Brand New

An iPhone video of the KW-60 and the Lowboys playing Bliss - Kissing
  12. B

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Well trying to figure out some stuff. First try at youtube. My Kenwood KW-60 and Rectilinear Lowboys with Bliss - Kissing playing. Sorry it's an iPhone video, but it sounds relatively good. Enjoy if you'd like.
  13. B

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Giving my ears some lov'in at the moment with Snarky Puppy - SHOFUKAN
  14. B

My expectations Bose 901 and setup

From my perspective the 901 Series II was the pinnacle of the 901 line. Other series I've listened to are the IV and V. Neither come close to the sound of the II's in my ear. My brother bought a Pioneer SX-1010, 901 Series II and Philips 212 back in I believe 1974. A year before I joined him at...
  15. B

Enjoying something refreshing to the soul right now. Bliss - various titles.
  16. B

HELP!! Need Help Identifying 1960's Huge Pioneer Mystery Speakers!

Those speakers and the tube receiver are junk. I'll take them off your hands and bail you out of the female scorn for wasting money on something that's not shoes. ;) That tube system and those speakers should sound very nice together. :naughty:
  17. B

Paradigm 9se vs DIY vs JBL Studio 530

I love my music, but I'm not a crazed maniac about systems. From my limited view of systems and what I have, which is more than in my signature now. Speakers from the era that were produced when tubes or a warm sounding amp were made is to couple them with speakers of the era of tubes. The...
  18. B

Some Stevie Ray Vaughn and Peter Green.
  19. B

Kenwood KW-60

I've been enjoying mine also. It really made the Rectilinear Lowboys come into a place of their own. I don't believe I'll ever pass it on to another, so my son will have to do that after I'm gone from the material world.
  20. B

KW-60 Receiver - Nearly Brand New

Your KW-60 is in much better cosmetic shape than mine. I purchased 7189 Russian tubes off fleebay from Ukraine and they sound wonderful. I replaced more caps than you did. The Rectilinear Lowboys sound really nice with this unit powering them. I find myself pretty much forgetting the JVC-ja-s71...
  21. B

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

Jeff Beck on Rectilinear Lowboys with a KW-60 tube receiver powering them.
  22. B

Vinyl Vs Spotify Home Test

I use Spotify Premium through an iPad with Apple Talk going into the Aux. inputs. It's pretty darn good, but the old Dual 1219 with a Shure V15III on quality vinyl still beats it 90% of the time. On the outdoor system I use Spotify all the time. Inside for critical listening vinyl, but that's...
  23. B

Kenwood Stereo Receiver KW - 60

Well didn't think to put a price out there. I paid $105.00 for my KW-60 and it had the supply caps replaced. He was asking $175.00. Cosmetically it's probably a 7/10. The face is nice, but there's some issues with the paint on the metal case. Don't throw away those tubes until checked. The...
  24. B

Sansui SP-200 speakers

Well I'll be damned. My Son drug home 4 SP-2500's and a pair of SP-3000's a couple years ago and when I hooked them up...err well I wasn't impressed at all. Why I still have them I don't know, but this thread is making me want to open them up and freshen the guts. Can I really expect what I...
  25. B

Kenwood Stereo Receiver KW - 60

I have a KW-60 in the shop now. You'll need to have all the grey Caps replaced as they are junk after all the years. It is 25 Watts RMS with 30 total per channel. You won't need an an additional amp. I bought mine without listening to it and the right channel wasn't quite up to par. I did like...
Back
Top Bottom