Search results

1. TJLitt

What PUNK Rock Album Are You Hearing Now !!!

"Live Stiffs" Brit compilation.
  2. TJLitt

TD-150 or PL-41

count me in, I'll likely take it, making it the third Blue Shadow item in my collection(ADS speakers in VA house, Tuner in DE rig). Let's do this, and figure an arm that mates well with the DV cartridge.
  3. TJLitt

TD-150 or PL-41

well, now that I'm home again, I can update this much. The table in question was mis-ID'd by me. The Thorens is a TD-160 Super. May well change some views. I think the arm choices available include an Audiomods arm and a couple others.
  4. TJLitt

TD-150 or PL-41

my suspicion as well. Any suggestions good or bad?
  5. TJLitt

TD-150 or PL-41

Oh, he is and he will. My main concern is that I'd waste time in which he could have sold it for a bit more on CL or somesuch. My longterm game plan was to drop serious money on an SME model or possibly a couple other options, when the Pioneer dies. Of course, it hasn't died, and i've had it for...
  6. TJLitt

TD-150 or PL-41

As most folks who've encountered me here know, I am a pretty happy owner of a Pioneer PL-41. Essentially bone stock with modern headshell and pretty good LOMC cartridge. A wonderful friend nearby is offering for my consideration a well-restored Thorens TD-150, with arm to be determined. I'm sure...
  7. TJLitt

New thread, about an old console TT

got this email from a friend's daughter in Connecticut. Don't know the answers she needs, but I know some of you do. ". I brought home my Grams old console record player. Mom thinks it's from the 50's but it still sounds amazing. Occasionally it will slow the record down. We think it might need...
  8. TJLitt

Leaving amp on all time..

likewise, and my amp runs real cool and with no input active seems to not draw much by way of wattage. I also leave the phono pre on at all times, but shut down other sources(Tuner/Disc player).
  9. TJLitt

Badass MC cartridge on cheapass turntable - anyone done it?

I had missed this post, and this thread. Yup, I have a DV 20X2 on a cheap-to-me PL-41. Sounds VERY good, actually. As for the rest, Blue is still trying!!! I just keep buying records.
  10. TJLitt

sorry it took me a few days to reply. Been busy. Listened to the 500 through a pair of Focal...

sorry it took me a few days to reply. Been busy. Listened to the 500 through a pair of Focal bookshelves in the shop, and a pair of standing Sonus Fabers. At home, I ran the AS500 with Klipsch 5.5s(floorstanders, but very efficient) a small pair of ADS bookshelves and later GoldenEar Triton...
  11. TJLitt

The Yamaha A-S2100

lol. I think I upgraded my sig, but I moved up to a Naim SuperNait2, yes, another level. Still the little AS500 drives an older pair of ADS speakers down in the VA Shore house!
  12. TJLitt

new cartridge, playing on an old table....

by the way, Sreten, you'll see that I chimed into that old thread once or twice, the original poster turned out to be living near me at the time. Glad to see that they got the thing up and running well. I note the comment towards the end about skipping, and frankly, I don't have that experience...
  13. TJLitt

cool set-up Sreten!! I've found it to be reasonably resistant, but I have it on a slightly more substantial piece with a marble slab under it. There are a few things I couldn't be arsed to do, and trying to wall mount a shelf capable of supporting this thing falls into that category.
  14. TJLitt

hmmmm, the TD125 might have a lot of potential. Apparently likes mid-heavy arms. Was smiling at my post above as I'm sitting here listening to Rosanne Cash with a pair of dancing princesses twirling around the listening room about 5 feet from the playing Pioneer. Yes, footfalls can be an issue...
  15. TJLitt

I'd be interested in Sreten and other's opinions as to what the suitable table, to their mind, would be to bring out the best in this cartridge. One review I read noted that the expected difference the reviewer expected moving up to a high level SME table didn't really show up. Also, it would be...
  16. TJLitt

working end to beginning: cannot find which resonant frequency the complance figures are calculated from and frankly don't know the true effective mass of the stock arm(it's heavy). It will be interesting to see what 'considerably better' consists of, so that may require you listening to where...
  17. TJLitt

well, it isn't like I haven't auditioned a bunch of new tables(up to maybe $3000 price point) and was less than blown away. I have no doubt that I can better what I now hear, but am also pretty sure that what I now hear is a bit better than some of you might expect.
  18. TJLitt

What TT's do you folks have

The PL-41 was MADE for a DL-103. It's that simple. The Pioneer is a damned good table, and the arm, though crude and unrefined looking, does its job well. There are some very good tables/arms without anti-skate sold new today, so leave that out. You may wish to read my thread in here about my...
  19. TJLitt

I type this listening to Herbie Hancock's 'The Prisoner' on Blue Note, hearing spit through horns and feeling reeds vibrate, all in pinpoint spatial placement up there, frankly, with most systems I've ever listened to(homes and show setups). This and probably 25 playing hours from full break-in...
  20. TJLitt

well, Sreten, I think I am testing your assumption. I've heard varying opinions on the 'limitations' of the PL-41, along with some(myself included), who find it rather well designed for a SPECIFIC type of cartridge. Stay within those specifics, it seems, and you can go up the ladder a certain...
  21. TJLitt

not sure you aren't pointing out the obvious, Sreten. The choice becomes when the move up is 'sensible', which it would seem to me a rather personal line to draw. YMMV.
  22. TJLitt

Blue's point is well taken. Lord knows I tend to simplicity on the whole, but the PL-41 is sort my little pet project. I'm essentially running the thing bone-stock, except for aftermarket modern headshells(Tonar w 2g or 4g additional weights). Oil the motor and spindle, installed the proper belt...
  23. TJLitt

precisely something I was going to contact you about, my friend. As of Labor Day weekend, ALL the grandkids will be in school between 9 am and 3 pm. Listening sessions at 'audiophile' volume levels are once again a possibility with no one trying to nap in the back of the house.
  24. TJLitt

......the PL-41 is sporting a new cartridge of late. I just got and installed a Dynavector 20X2 on the old beast, and damn, is this cartridge nice!! It has the musicality of the DL-103 I have as a constant backup, and the detail of the AT33EV it replaced, with better staging, timbre and 3D...
  25. TJLitt

joined the British audio club today

at around 300 hours playing time, I figure we're pretty well broken in. The Supernait2 is a superb integrated, rivalling virtually every system of separates I've ever heard. By far the best amp I've ever had in the house. Deep, detailed and defined soundstage, outstanding dynamics, top to bottom...
Back
Top Bottom