Search results

1. fcleff69

Pioneer PL4 or Sony PS-X5

You know it. I’m gonna give it a good breaking in tonight with a spinning of Farewell to Kings. Then some Lee Morgan. And I’ll finish up with a little Bartok. When I have some time to myself I’ll throw on some of my Scandinavian Black Metal LP’s. Good time await. f
  2. fcleff69

Thanks for this info! Nice design idea, indeed. The tonearm balancing steps you mentioned are printed in the manual. This is exactly how I did it. The brush is in excellent condition and I can’t really see a reason to change anything, even the stylus, just yet. The whole thing seems to be...
  3. fcleff69

Gotta say that, after spinning a few LP’s tonight, I was blown away by how much more sound and clarity this Sony TT produced. It still needs a little setup tweaking and maybe a servicing (there is a slight issue with the tonearm not dropping tonrest after auto return). But definitely a nice TT. f
  4. fcleff69

Panasonic DVD-F65

Never mind. Hooked it up and it works and plays fine. Sounds nice through my Luxman R404. f
  5. fcleff69

Luxman or Yamaha Receiver

I just got a system passed on to me from my stepfather. I've hooked up the TT (Sony PS-X5) and it sounds great through my Luxman and Polk Monitor 10B speakers. And I like the advice of listening for a week or two and then swapping the Lux for the Yammie and giving that a go. Thanks! f
  6. fcleff69

I set the tracking force to 2.25 grams for the Stanton 680 EE, including an added gram for the brush on the cartridge. Antiskate is set at 2.25 accordingly. I found another thread in a forum here that recommended adding a gram of weight for this particular cartridge. f
  7. fcleff69

I just looked and the cart is the Stanton 680EE f
  8. fcleff69

Panasonic DVD-F65

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Panasonic DVD/CD-F65? I inherited one from a system that belonged to my stepfather. Is it worth integrating into my home system as a CD player (to be fair, I don't listen to a whole lot of CD's anymore). f
  9. fcleff69

Luxman or Yamaha Receiver

Howdy. I posted in the TT forum about a system I have inherited from my stepfather. The receiver that came with it is a Yamaha RX-500U. I am currently using a Luxman R404 and I really enjoy it. So I thought that I would post here and see if the community has any thoughts on comparisons between...
  10. fcleff69

Ha! @majick47 indeed he did keep the owners manual and I have it in my possession. To my knowledge he never changed the cart or stylus. Thanks for that info! It’s nice to know that I stumbled into a nice find. They were going to send the whole setup to Goodwill before I intervened. Though I...
  11. fcleff69

I appreciate those replies. I’ll look into all tonight. My stepfather, while not necessarily an audiophile, was a physicist and really appreciated good quality equipment. He made sure to do good research pre-purchase. The TT hasn’t seen use in a very long time but I can’t see that there is any...
  12. fcleff69

Thanks! I appreciate all the advice. Gonna give it a good listen today after I get it set up. Any advice on tracking weight with the Stanton cart? f
  13. fcleff69

Hello all. I currently am using a Pioneer PL4 on my system. Today I went to my mother’s house to help her break down her husband’s stereo system. They gave me the whole thing. The TT is a Sony PS-X5 and is in very good condition. I am fairly certain it will need a new cartridge and stylus...
  14. fcleff69

Pioneer PL4 and Stylus

The left side speakers on my system cut in and out (mostly out). I suspect it is my Luxman R404 but have read that a bad stylus can cause this problem. Is that possible? I have a Pioneer PL4 with an AT cart and stylus (not sure which model). Also, how can I tell if the cart is MM or MC? I can't...
  15. fcleff69

New Receiver Recommendations

It does. There are 4 HDMI ports (br/DVD, gaming, etc.) that can handle 4K and there is one HDMIarc port. f
  16. fcleff69

I know it's not the ultimate Home Theater setup but that's not entirely what I'm going for. My living room isn't really made for that, either. I'm just looking for a good, entry level system that can integrate the new technology components with the older ones I have and still produce a good...
  17. fcleff69

Gaming console is all HDMI (PS4).
  18. fcleff69

I'm gonna bump this one last time for another question on a potential setup. After reading about this all day here's what I may settle on: Sony X930D tv (already have) Pioneer VSX531 (70w at 8ohms through 2 channel) Little Bear Vacuum Tube Mini Phono Preamp Pioneer PL4 turntable (already have)...
  19. fcleff69

One I have considered is the Yamaha RX-V379BL. I'm assuming that the phono preamp I choose would connect into one of the AV lines while the tv would go into the HDMIarc connection? f
  20. fcleff69

Marantz is a little out of my price range for now. Even the used offerings is see tend to be above what I can spend right now. f
  21. fcleff69

Thanks. The tv is a Sony X930D. I was kind of thinking along the lines of your suggestion as I haven't been too impressed with any new models I have seen. I don't need (necessarily) a complete home theater setup. I just want better sound than what comes out of the tv speakers. Do you have any...
  22. fcleff69

My Luxman R404 is having a problem with the left side cutting out. Sometimes, after it warms up, the left side speakers will come on, but not always. It has recently been serviced and recapped but that problem persists. Any thoughts? This leads to my thread title. I recently just got a new...
  23. fcleff69

Luxman R-404

Will do. Thanks. I'm guessing if I still get the same problem then my receiver is in need of service. f
  24. fcleff69

Luxman R-404

I have a Luxman R404. I think it might be in need of some service as I am losing power after listening for a while (usually after an hour or so, sometimes at higher volumes). The speakers with start to fizzle out. At first I thought it might be the speakers themselves going bad but after...
  25. fcleff69

Tuner Question

Bump.
Back
Top Bottom