Search results

1. dwaller131

Sansui 9090DB question

Will be making a tester in the next week or two. Looks like a fun project, even if I only use it a few times.
  2. dwaller131

Sansui 9090DB question

Hey all Going to be helping my stepfather, who now lives if FL, clean out his house (in New York) at the end of next month (he hasn't lived in it since 2005, but he's been renting it out). He has a Sansui 9090db that he wants me to take home with me, clean, and possibly sell for him (and we...
  3. dwaller131

Plinth Finish (tung oil) Questions - Help Needed

General Finishes Arm-R-Seal is a superb product. Following the instructions, and taking your time, you will get a truly professional finish. Looks great and holds up very well. And it is so smooth it feels like fine furniture.
  4. dwaller131

What cartridge is this?

Nagatron! Had a 350e years back and it was a very nice performer. The 185e is a workaday cart, .03 x .07 bonded elliptical stylus on an aluminum cantilever. But the Nagatron 'sound' is normally rather warm and laid back, with a good low end. EDIT: Forgot to add that I don't think there are many...
  5. dwaller131

New Life for a tired/old JVC QL-Y66F Turntable

Scuffing plastic prior to clear won't harm anything unless you really get stupidly aggressive. Taking down the shine will not be a problem and will certainly aid adhesion, and possibly help with possible bridging issues down the road (depending on the type of plastic being coated). The plinth...
  6. dwaller131

Hilarious Article On Turntables

"Bass: We played bass-heavy songs to determine how deep the bass came through the speakers." Hmm, if the speakers can only play so low, won't all of the tables (I'm sorry, RECORD PLAYERS) score exactly the same in this test? Also, I'd think a better test would be to listen to the high end...
  7. dwaller131

Vintage Audio Technica Cartridges

I've mentioned it before on AK, but I'm a big fan of Audio Technica's 'Precept' line of carts from the early 1980s. I'm currently running a PC440, which is a square-shank, nude mount Shibata on a Beryllium cantilver. Also have 2 PC220s as backups (one is NOS, one has about 100 hours of use); the...
  8. dwaller131

Christmas vinyl - what did you get, what are you spinning?

I collect Christmas LPs and was delighted with these 2: -A gorgeous vintage mono repress of Johnny Mathis' 'Merry Christmas' (probably in my top 3 of Christmas LPs). His voice sounds even more gloriously golden in mono! -An original press of the LP of the audio track from the Christmas special...
  9. dwaller131

The Amazing Collapse of CD Sales

3/4ths of the fun of music, to me, is the discovery. There's a ton of great music that gets passed by because it was never a "hit". "My Sharona" isn't the best song on "Get The Knack", the Goo Goo Dolls were actually an awesome punk/power pop trio prior to shit like "Name" and "Iris", Van...
  10. dwaller131

If I understood even 1/10th of what you wrote I might be interested in streaming service. I just don't have the drive (or interest) to bother with all of that. As I said, I'm good.
  11. dwaller131

yeah, she's better at tech than I am, that's for certain. And kudos to you for having the Outlaws queued up!
  12. dwaller131

I will still purchase used CDs, but haven't bought a brand new CD in years. As for streaming, I think I'm broken or weird or something. The idea of having my music come through my (admittedly crappy and old) phone just makes me wheeze. Seems everyone is doing it, but I just don't see the joy in...
  13. dwaller131

Why rip vinyl to digital?

Lots of new LPs are cut using a digital master, hence the sound being similar to CD. Wish I could've gotten a manual with our '19 Sportwagen 4motion, but my wife was tired of rowing her own gears. Still got a 5-spd in our little truck, though.
  14. dwaller131

Sounds just as good to my ears when played back though my system; even sounds good in my noisy truck, driving down the highway. I see no reason to go delving into something new (streaming) at this stage of the game; I record what I want to hear, and play it back where I want to hear it.
  15. dwaller131

I'll digitally record music that I want to hear in the car (I record to antiquated Minidisc). I'm not worried about stylus wear all that much, my stylus will most likely outlive my interest in listening to my records. I don't have an extravagant setup (Rotel RP855, Precept PC440 nude Shibata on...
  16. dwaller131

Most Attractive Turntable?

I'm partial to my Rotel RP-855, most likely because it's mine.
  17. dwaller131

Shibata users, tell me about yours

They are truly wonderful cartridges, but don't tell anyone or the price will go up!! You can still find NOS PCN220 stylii for under $80. I've got one as a backup, just in case. The Shibata PC-440 is awesome, but that PC220 is no slouch. Hard to find a comparable .2 x .7 square shank nude mount...
  18. dwaller131

This bodes well for me, as my usage is at the point where the stylus will last me 10 years :)
  19. dwaller131

Roughly how many hours can you get out of a Shibata? I have about 50 or so on mine right now, but I only listen about once a week, if that. And only for maybe an hour each time.
  20. dwaller131

Rotel RP-855 with Knotty Pine veneer

Thank you! And yeah, I hated that black oak finish, so dated and bland. The 3M PSA is super easy to use. Cut with a razor blade/knife of a scissor. Sticks like crazy. The only difference I found between the PSA and using contact cement is that the veneer is a little thicker because the PSA has...
  21. dwaller131

Thank you! And did you like the Rotel? I think this thing is wonderful.
  22. dwaller131

Thought y'all might enjoy seeing my latest project; I re-veneered my Rotel RP-855 last weekend and finally finished assembly a few days ago. It's an odd choice for veneer, that I'm sure of. But I like the knots and thought it might make for a snappy looking turntable. Veneer is a 3M PSA (first...
  23. dwaller131

What cartridges are we using?

Staying with my (much) earlier post, I still have a Precept cart, but it's now a PC-440; nude square-shank Shibata on a beryllium canti. Lovely.
  24. dwaller131

Here's a Few to Play Loud . . .

Superb choice. And from the same album we could add "Seal The Deal".
Back
Top Bottom