Search results

1. Briant8

Carver M500t toasted r181

Always a good idea!
  2. Briant8

Was considering doing a recap on it. But now considering sending for a Mkii conversion…
  3. Briant8

Great idea, thanks!
  4. Briant8

Calling any and all Carver gurus, There I was, just listening to some nice tunes with my Carver M500t and suddenly, burning smell, fuse blows, and silence… Crack her open and r181 is toasted. Nothing else looks affected (to the naked eye). I’ve done a fair bit of repair/ recapping, etc. but...
  5. Briant8

Harman Kardon ST-7 strobe issue

Thank you both, that was the issue. All is finally well in ST-7 land! Brian
  6. Briant8

Ohhhhh.... good thought! Let me look into how to check that. Thanks!
  7. Briant8

Hi All, So I just dove into my first ST-7, replaced tracking wheel, belts, DeOxit on pots, etc... After much frustration, cussing, cajoling and downright threatening (it never seemed to listen at all, btw) it’s up and running and sounding great. My issue is that the strobe speed is off. When...
  8. Briant8

Identify the Yamaha Tweeter!

Right!? It looks close to a few of them, but nothing matches, grrrrr....
  9. Briant8

Identify the Yamaha Tweeter!

Hi Collective! I found this stray singleton and can’t seem to find any info on it. Just wanted to know if it’s of enough consequence to repair or not. It’s a Yamaha 4563 tweeter. It looks to have a 1” beryllium diaphragm. Any thoughts as to what it belongs to? Thanks!
  10. Briant8

Sansui QRX-7500 channel weirdness.

Well, My buddy lost interest in deeper diagnostics, so I buttoned her back up, for now anyways. Thanks all for the help!
  11. Briant8

Unfortunately not pieces of equipment in the arsenal just yet...
  12. Briant8

Well, Made a bit of headway. Cleaned all 523 pots and switches again as well as the speaker clips, and managed to retrieved the rear left channel from the upside down. However, the right front is still missing in action :( Interestingly, I’m am now getting bleed-through sound on all 3 good...
  13. Briant8

Ah, good to know. This one doesn’t have the pre-out/ amp in scheme or I would have tried the test the preamp/amp tactic. Or is there another way to test them independently?
  14. Briant8

Yeah, tried that hoping to hear any scratchiness at all in any control. Wasn’t any evident, but I’m hitting them all again.
  15. Briant8

Oh, and I did pull the lid off and clean the relay (it actually looked a lot nicer than some others I’ve been into) One thread I saw mentioned that the level set (4 banger) pot was bad. I did manage to extract it enough to clean it, but it is a mother to get to... I’ll check on the speaker...
  16. Briant8

Hi All, A buddy asked me to look at his QRX-7500, and this is the channel weirdness going on. When I try 2-channel stereo (front speakers) the left side is strong but the right channel is out. But when I try the quad settings, the rear right side is good but the left side is out. All 4 power...
  17. Briant8

Identify the driver?

Crap, totally forgot to update! I borrowed a buddy’s monoprice 15W tube amp and strapped them on it. Holy hell, did they come alive! Totally different speakers with the right amount warm tube wattage into them.
  18. Briant8

Let’s play identify the speakers!

Oh sorry, I was speaking of the entire big-ass speaker. I wonder if it’s a SpeakerLab made model? I’m a newbie as far as speaker drivers are concerned, but those are Alnico magnets, correct? Thanks again for the great info!
  19. Briant8

Let’s play identify the speakers!

Wow, great eye! Thanks for the info. I’m guessing that the speakers themselves are home grown... I can’t find any images of SpeakerLab speakers that resemble these.
  20. Briant8

Identify the driver?

True enough!
  21. Briant8

Identify the driver?

So I have them hooked up. They sound good, very crisp like a studio monitor, and very loud (likely super efficient as was discussed earlier) They need a little help with bottom end and hitting the Loudness button helps with the fullness. I agree, I think a nice tube amp that will promote some...
  22. Briant8

Identify the driver?

Not exactly sure what that means, but sounds cool!
  23. Briant8

Identify the driver?

Thanks for that great info! Am I reading the code correctly? 719 = Carbonneau 626 = 26th week of 1966 (probably not 1956) 8C9CWF = some sort of model number?
  24. Briant8

Identify the driver?

Ha, I appreciate the vote of confidence! But the nuances of speaker design just aren't in my wheelhouse. I haven't had a chance to hook them up yet, I'll give them a try tomorrow.
  25. Briant8

Identify the driver?

Well, here they are! Any thoughts on them? I’m not familiar with them at all
Back
Top Bottom