Search results

1. Briant8

Carver M500t toasted r181

Calling any and all Carver gurus, There I was, just listening to some nice tunes with my Carver M500t and suddenly, burning smell, fuse blows, and silence… Crack her open and r181 is toasted. Nothing else looks affected (to the naked eye). I’ve done a fair bit of repair/ recapping, etc. but...
  2. Briant8

Harman Kardon ST-7 strobe issue

Hi All, So I just dove into my first ST-7, replaced tracking wheel, belts, DeOxit on pots, etc... After much frustration, cussing, cajoling and downright threatening (it never seemed to listen at all, btw) it’s up and running and sounding great. My issue is that the strobe speed is off. When...
  3. Briant8

Identify the Yamaha Tweeter!

Hi Collective! I found this stray singleton and can’t seem to find any info on it. Just wanted to know if it’s of enough consequence to repair or not. It’s a Yamaha 4563 tweeter. It looks to have a 1” beryllium diaphragm. Any thoughts as to what it belongs to? Thanks!
  4. Briant8

Sansui QRX-7500 channel weirdness.

Hi All, A buddy asked me to look at his QRX-7500, and this is the channel weirdness going on. When I try 2-channel stereo (front speakers) the left side is strong but the right channel is out. But when I try the quad settings, the rear right side is good but the left side is out. All 4 power...
  5. Briant8

Identify the driver?

Hi All, I ran across these speakers at a thrift store today and am hoping someone may have an idea what the drivers are. The speakers themselves look like homemade jobs probably, although pretty solid and well done. But I’m not familiar with the drivers at all. (I’m doubtful that they would...
  6. Briant8

Let’s play identify the speakers!

Hello fellow Audio Karmaniacs! Just sprung on these from the pics, will pick them up later. They looked intriguing at the very least. Anybody recognize them? Thanks as always!
  7. Briant8

Another identify this speaker post :-)

Hi all, I found this in a Goodwill here in Portland. It’s an ophan, but was cheap and I couldn’t resist the mystery. No markings at all. Very well built, even down to the 10ga wire used. Can be bi-amped. Drivers have no markings either. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
  8. Briant8

ADS a/d/s sticky midrange shipping disaster

Hi all, So I sprung on those ADS midranges on the auction site here recently in order to replace a bad one on a set of L990’s. Fortunately they came packed very well to protect them from outside evil forces. UNfortunately on the inside, they came wrapped in an (impressive) amount of plastic...
  9. Briant8

Help identifying set of headphones.

Hi fellow AK’ers, Does anyone recognize the model of this set? They are a Goodwill find and are the spitting image of the Sony MDR-3L2 (of The Guardians of the Galaxy fame) except no Sony Markings anywhere. Doubtful that Sony would have released anything without their name all over it, right...
  10. Briant8

Marantz 1060 recap fail.....?

Hi All! It's been a while since I've worked on any pieces, but here I am elbow deep in a cherry little 1060 amp that I found recently. She powered up and worked just fine but had that muddy kind of sound that seems to be a popular complaint about them. So I read up on several 1060 recap threads...
  11. Briant8

San Francisco area to Portland, OR?

Hi all, If any one is making that trip anytime soon, I have some Apogee speakers that need a ride to Portland, Vancouver, Bend or anywhere closer. Can call/text me at: 971-344-0089 Thanks much! Brian
  12. Briant8

Dadgummit! 2275 MPX board recap, now no radio...

Hi all! I've been following along with both thxdave and Steven Tate's threads as it seems that we are all currently recapping a 2275 (how do you guys insert those cool short blue links? Was going to link to those threads and the parts list, but it comes up as the big long URL address...)...
  13. Briant8

Yamaha CR-820 lamps out (and I didn't do it this time!)

So my buddy picks up a cherry awesome CR-820 at an Estate Sale for a song, lucky b@St@rd... Anyways the unit looks great, sounds great, is great, except of course the pointer and meter lamps are out. Asks me to take a look. No problem, just swap those suckers out, right!? Wrong..... Here is...
  14. Briant8

Marantz 2215B popped it's top

So, there I was.... I'm super stoked after a wildly successful 2250B recap last week. I carefully choose my next victim, the sweet little 2215B that has been waiting patiently for some lovin'. Very methodically (as all you fantastic gurus recommend) I start with the: Tone board: Recap, test...
  15. Briant8

Marantz 2250b noise with tone control selector switch

Hello all of you wonderful Marantz gurus! I've got a frustrating little issue to ask about. Firstly, this was my first (mostly) complete recap adventure. I started with some swollen caps on the power supply board, then after more reading here went ahead and recapped the tone control board...
  16. Briant8

Cassette deck belt supplier?

Hi all! Please forgive if this info is on here somewhere, I wasn't able to locate it. (Also, please let me know if this would be better posted in Barter Town?) But I'm looking for a good resource for belts. I've picked up a few great decks and am wanting to get some belts in them to see if they...
  17. Briant8

Sx 1010 3 lead capacitor replacement?

Hi all! I'm looking over that pesky, well-cooked power supply board (AWR-054 C in my SX-1010) and am considering taking that plunge to replace those swollen caps (and of course all the rest of them while at it) I'm noticing that the original big 35V 1000uF (x2) and the 80V 470uF (x1) caps have 3...
  18. Briant8

Fail.....

Note to self. Double check main fuse before spending 742 hours trying to track down the cause of a "blown" left channel......... o_O
  19. Briant8

Changing lamps, Yamaha CR 2040 go boom.....:-(

I posted this in the Yamaha forum, but got no replies at all. Is this a better forum for this topic? (Sorry, trying to learn the ropes...) Ok, so not that much drama but still my first major screw up. I found this posting from a while back from someone else that explains almost exactly what I...
  20. Briant8

Changing lamps, Yamaha CR-2040 go boom.....!

Ok, so not that much drama but still my first major screw up. I found this posting from a while back from someone else that explains almost exactly what I did, "Just finished replacing all lamps in my cr-2040. I accidentally shorted the white and red wires that go to the upper 4 lamps which...
  21. Briant8

Hello from sunny Portland, OR!

And if you know Portland, you know how rare it is to that this time of year.... Finally going to join the gang, thank you for having me. AK has already helped me save a couple of vintage pieces, and I'm trying to devour the incredible wisdom by the day. Hope I get to the point of being able to...
Back
Top Bottom