Search results

1. Jeff W.

Seller Waxwaves Delivers!

I purchased a Harman Kardon Citation II from Waxwaves advertised on Bartertown that was honestly represented, packed well and shipped promptly. There was great communication from the beginning until I had the unit up and running. Waxwaves has a wide knowledge and enthusiasm for vintage gear...
  2. Jeff W.

Good deal and great service from Truck

A "thank you" and shout out to Truck for offering a nice Technics headshell and an AT cartridge in Bartertown Parts & Accessories that I purchased. The communication was clear and the transaction was easy. He shipped right away and packed the items very well. I was very pleased with what I...
  3. Jeff W.

Sherwood S-7310 Power Supply Rectifier Diodes

I'm recapping and refurbishing this receiver and wanted to confirm correct and possibly improved substitutions for the six rectification diodes on the power supply board. Here is the board: The six diodes at the right are in question. The top four are what make up the bridge and are described...
  4. Jeff W.

The infamous Sherwood Power Switch / Volume Pot: Repaired!

I've seen many posts here and on other forums about the combination Power Switch/Volume Potentiometer used on most Sherwood receivers from the 70's failing. I've repaired several over the years and thought I would share the solution I have found to work. It is possible to repair the switch...
  5. Jeff W.

Early 1030 Restoration Questions

I realize there is much information available on this little guy, but there are couple questions about this early model for which I have not seen the answer or a definitive one. For those that may be curious, mine is serial number 1399 and has a silver (or natural aluminum) engraved faceplate...
  6. Jeff W.

Restoring Sony SBMC plinths?

Have any of you attempted this with good results? I have a PS-X75 that has many light hairline scratches in the base. Have any of you attempted sanding and polishing a Sony plinth made of "Super Bulk Molding Compound"? I have a chance to buy another Sony with an SBMC base, but it has someone's...
  7. Jeff W.

Pioneer PL-L1000A service and repair questions

I've had the good fortune to purchase one of these tables locally. I have been cleaning it and recapping it. I have replaced all the electrolytics on the power supply board and the control board. These are no problem to remove and service. Now I want to recap the board for the drive motor. I've...
  8. Jeff W.

Frazier Mark V speakers

Someone in my vicinity that has a pair of these (they are not on Craigslist) and is considering selling them. I've looked here on AK and have seen there are at least two types: ones with a Piezo tweeter and ones with horn tweeters. The ones I am considering have horns. They also have two cone...
  9. Jeff W.

MikeT. made it as good as can be!

Mike made it a hassle free experience to buy a nearly new Hana EL cartridge that I had been interested in since I first read about it. He did this by answering my pre-sale questions quickly and, when I decided to buy, remained just as responsive after the sale. He shipped right away and provided...
  10. Jeff W.

High compliance stylus for Audio Technica VS210(E)

I just purchased a Pioneer PL-930 turntable in Bartertown: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-pl-930-turntable-in-fantastic-condition.735479/ for a friend. It has an ATVS210 mounted on it with an original?/gray stylus of unknown (it works) condition. It looks like LPgear has...
  11. Jeff W.

KM-60 Tuner Advice Please

Hi All, Recently I was fortunate enough to find and purchase this tuner along with a KX-90 integrated amplifier. I am in the process of doing some restoration/preventive maintenance for both, but need some help due to my lack of experience with tube equipment in general. By the way, this is my...
  12. Jeff W.

Au-7500 Alignment clarification please

This is my first post in this forum and this is my first piece of Sansui gear. I purchased the working unit locally and have done a major cleaning and full recap. I really like the appearance of this model and am hoping the sound will be equally beautiful. I have a copy of the Operating...
  13. Jeff W.

Denon POA-2200 went "pop"

I bought this amp about two months ago in working condition and replaced all the electrolytics (95% Panasonic FC's). I have the service manual and set the idle current. The DC at the speaker terminals was very low in both channels (<10mv). I did not adjust the "Distortion Factor" as I do not...
  14. Jeff W.

tidbit of info needed to safely bias SX-727 please

I had to install a new volume pot on my SX-727 (Thanks to DCINDC for supplying) that I had recapped a few years ago and was doing some searching to see if there was anything else I should be doing to service the unit while I had it apart and found this thread...
  15. Jeff W.

cnolanh delivered the goods!

I posted a want for an ADS tweeter. cnolanh responded quickly with one for offer. After payment he shipped quickly and packed with "Ft. Knox" protection. Always a pleasure on AK with fellow members like this! Would not hesitate to deal again. Thanks!
  16. Jeff W.

ADS 910 Stands

I have recently purchased a set of ADS 910's lacking stands. I am interested in exploring the possibilities of making a set. I read that DENNYDOG either made a set or had a set made. I'd appreciate anyone that has a set measuring theirs and filling in some dimensions to the simplified drawing I...
  17. Jeff W.

Newly Acquired H.H. Scott 240 monoblock

I just bought this locally and am planning to restore and purchase a mate. I'm putting together a parts list and hoping that some of you tube afficianados may offer some pointers and help me with this initial question. It relates to the two largest twist-lock can caps which are both dual 40uf...
  18. Jeff W.

Wilkes Barre, PA to Cincinnati, OH (or near)

I've just purchased a set of Sony SS-3300 speakers from Music Go Round in Wilkes Barre, PA . I live in the Cincinnati, OH area. I spoke to them about how they would pack these 90 pound speakers and was not satisfied they would make it safely in the manner they described via FedEx ground . They...
  19. Jeff W.

"New" Sony TA-N7B, need advice please

Having been infected with the Vfet bug some time ago, starting with refurbishing a Sony TA-5650 (with much advice from Echowars), I've been on the lookout for a TA-N7B. I finally purchased one a few weeks ago and it arrived today. Thankfully it was well packed and arrived safely :banana:. Except...
  20. Jeff W.

Sony XA5400ES P. S. Board mystery substance

I bought this player earlier this year and am enjoying it very much. Recently I decided to apply some dampening material to the inside of the cover and along the open chassis sheet metal to minimize vibration/resonance. This easy project went just fine. However, I was puzzled by what I saw...
  21. Jeff W.

Sherwood SEL-400 output transistor subs./equivilants?

My SEL-400 has had one of the pairs of main output transistors replaced before I purchased it. The originals are SJ1936 (NPN) and SJ1937 (PNP). They are in a TO-3 package, are Darlington types and were made by Motorola. I could not find any specs on them. Apparently their codes were custom...
  22. Jeff W.

Choosing main filter caps for Sony TA-2000 (pre) & ST-5000FW (tuner)

I'm requesting guidance from those "in the know". I'm recapping these two units and want to make sure I get the best possible replacements for the main filter caps in both units. I'm aware that choosing the "right ones" is a little more difficult to discern than the other smaller caps. I don't...
  23. Jeff W.

Sony TA-5650 v-fet matching and 1N4148 diodes

I got the bug to try a v-fet and Sony vintage equipment, in general, from the many enthusiastic posts here. I recently purchased a working TA-5650. Of course, I've combed many of the threads here while anticipating its arrival. I also acquired a service and users manual. If any of you can help...
  24. Jeff W.

Sx-1010 restoration underway, need help please

Greetings To All, Now that I've been a member for nearly two years I'm ready for a post! Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information you've shared here. I have been studying the posts here and acquiring some gear locally that I am enjoying as well as restoring. I got started...
Back
Top Bottom