Search results

1. Trekkie4

Where is the thread on Pro-Ject's new automatic turntable???

Oh, that 3600L sounds wonderful on CS-415, there's no doubt about that. Channel separation is highly noticeable and there's really not much surface noise from what I can tell. What I meant to say is that the only downside is actually replacing the actual cartridge for another one, because...
  2. Trekkie4

Didn't realize that, thanks for the info. Mine definitely has conventional spindle, that's attached to plastic subplatter. Somewhat lightweight, but with aluminum platter on top & rubber mat, it has plenty of inertia to keep it going. All in all, pretty decent turntable, which I initially picked...
  3. Trekkie4

Hmm, you do have a point there... Haven't considered aftermarket solutions. Most (if not all) AT carts track between 1.5 & 2.5 grams top. Even Microline & Shibata cuts.
  4. Trekkie4

Yes, but you are forgetting something very important. CS-415 has a factory set tracking force of 2.6g. And that's it - there is no way to add or remove VTF, not without hacking or gluing coins or nuts behind the counterweight which isn't ideal. Unfortunately, 2.6 grams is beyond the recommended...
  5. Trekkie4

Interesting... I've had this same turntable for quite some time now, except it was labeled as Dual CS-415. Good to know that AT-3600 isn't the only cartridge that could fit the tonearm, I may eventually swap it out for Ortofon OM10. From what I remember, manufacture date is around 1988, 1989...
  6. Trekkie4

$11 Chinese AT3600L Thread Mk. II - Champagne sound on a Beer budget!

I know, I know. Same thing with AT-95EX (which was exclusive for AT-LP5 turntable) and AT-91R (exclusive for AT-LP3). Nevertheless (and regardless of what AT claims) I've seen complete cartridge assemblies on sale through certain vendors, such as Thakker and Vinyl Engine for example.
  7. Trekkie4

For $24, you'd think they would give you a complete cartridge assembly and not just the replacement stylus alone...
  8. Trekkie4

Crosley clone of AT-LP120 issue.

Yeah, you're right ... now I remember! It was you who first mentioned Skywin, and (if I'm not mistaking) it was Matt/Techmoan who talked about Tanashin & cassette mechs. Thanks for the info! :beerchug:
  9. Trekkie4

Not really, if you take a closer look you will notice that BJ-U25 features entirely plastic platter, not the aluminum one. Where C100 (from what I've seen on Google) has aluminum one, but other than that they are indeed identical. As for Pro-Ject components, I'm pretty sure that it was...
  10. Trekkie4

Of course, I'm not saying anyone should take YT for granted. But for what it's worth, I trust Techmoan. He was always honest about his reviews and was never afraid to admit that the (reviewed) item was given to him for free. As for the word "decent", it can be interpreted many ways, sure. For...
  11. Trekkie4

Ah, why didn't you say so? This one isn't LP120 lookalike, it is actually one step below. Also known under the name(s) of Lenco L-3808 and Dual DTJ 301 USB. Along with many other different brands & models, I'm sure. By the way, some of you here may find it interesting that BOTH Matt (Techmoan)...
  12. Trekkie4

Exactly that, it only shows how much people know about OEM turntables, and yet advise people to stay away from them. There is no such thing as copy of Audio Technica, or copy of Crosley. These are all Hanpin Electron made units, sold under different brand names. To make it absolutely clear...
  13. Trekkie4

What does your username mean?

Back when I first joined Twitter in 2009, I had to come up with username... Being a huge fan of Star Trek at the time, I wanted to call myself "Trekkie", but apparently the username was already taken by someone else. Same with Trekkie1. Seeing how number "4" marked my life in many different ways...
  14. Trekkie4

Search for vintage or get a new, budget turntable?

I never owned Fluance RT... turntable(s), but from what I heard they are very reliable & have a good reputation. Especially those few better models without the internal preamp. Speaking of internal preamp, I also wanted to address LP140 which is being marked (and aimed) for professional DJ...
  15. Trekkie4

Cartridge Advice

I've noticed that AT-95EX is being mentioned and compared against VM95E so I've decided to offer my opinion in case it helps anyone. I got VM95E stylus mounted on AT-XP body (which gives it much higher output voltage) and although I can't say or find anything wrong about VM95 I always end up...
  16. Trekkie4

Prediction: 2022 the year of cheap used turntables and record players

Indeed, I didn't really give it much thought until you mentioned it... As I wrote yesterday, I'm 35 years old (will be 36 this year). So I'm not really that much older than @Thumbie and yet we seem to be entirely different. I grew up with turntable and cassette decks. We didn't have CD player up...
  17. Trekkie4

Prediction: 2022 the year of cheap used turntables and record players

Considering the current state of things, Covid & unemployment rate, I would partly have to agree on what @seely wrote, but only up to certain point. Actually, contrary to what some of the forumers are saying (how people are giving up on turntables because they are too lazy to flip the record...
  18. Trekkie4

Audio Technica MM cartridge confusion

There are several different answers to your question ... both "Yes" and "No". Here's the thing, Audio Technica is still making replacement styli for most of their older models. Primarily AT91/91R/3600L and AT95E/AT95EX. And that's because most of their turntables came bundled with either...
  19. Trekkie4

AT-XP3 vs AT-VM95E

Well, for what it's worth I track XP3 at 2.0 grams ... which is still within the recommended range. Audio Technica actually suggested to set the tracking force according to application - 4 grams for heavy scratching, back cueing and other agonizing ways of terrorizing LPs, 3 grams for "standard"...
  20. Trekkie4

AT-XP3 vs AT-VM95E

You're absolutely right, and that is what threw me off so to speak. DJ cart, with recommended tracking force of 3g, compared to lighter tracking VM95E at 2.0 grams. Which is why I wasn't expecting to accomplish anything with XP cart. Oh well, better late than never, I guess :) I'll admit, I...
  21. Trekkie4

AT-XP3 vs AT-VM95E

Wow... It's been a while since I started a thread here on AK, or talked about turntables in general. After several family tragedies in December 2020, I just didn't feel like enjoying music ... but that is a whole other story, for some other occasion. Long story short, I finally got around to...
  22. Trekkie4

Agreed. For me personally, I would agree on everything @Tikiking1 wrote except for VM95 being superior... I got all three of them (3600, AT95E, AT95EX & VM95E) and I actually prefer the older AT-95EX which to my ears sounds much better than VM95E. Yes, the VM has better channel separation &...
  23. Trekkie4

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

Depends on which Jico you go for... There wasn't direct, "N 94E" replacement available, so I downgraded to generic "N 99E" ... most likely 0.3x0.7mil (might even be 0.4, not sure), where the original one had 0.2, with noticeably better stereo image (separation) & output voltage.
  24. Trekkie4

Show us your cartridges and/or tonearms!

In that case, here's that same cartridge, 16 years later. Sorry to say, it lost its charm after swapping out the stylus for generic Jico, but IMHO it still sounds "musical" & can be pretty smooth.
Back
Top Bottom