Search results

1. JonL

Dynaco SCA-35 Tube Selection

If those amps were built and put away after not much use, either set of output tubes will likely last you a very long time. The concern about tubes wearing out is real but generally way overblown. They last a whole lot longer than people think. The Mullard and Amperex sets are both fine tubes...
  2. JonL

SE Tube Amp - Grounding Speaker Terminal to Chassis OK?

Problem fixed. Checked the volume pot grounding, it was fine. Tried a tube shield, had no effect. In poking around somewhat aimlessly out of desperation, moving wires to check lead dress, and checking grounds at various points I found a solution that surprised me. The PCB has a long ground trace...
  3. JonL

Great suggestions, thanks. The control panel is integral with the chassis, but when I replaced the input jacks I noticed a fair bit of corrosion between them and the panel. I’ll see if the volume pot has good contact. There is no shield on V1. That would be a nice easy fix and seems like a...
  4. JonL

An update - I've finished replacing all the badly drifted components - which was almost all of them. I installed the speaker jack as described above. I installed a 3-wire cord, ground wire to the chassis with a dedicated screw, snipped out the "death cap." The amp sounds great, but it does have...
  5. JonL

I'm fixing up a basket case of an old Univox guitar amp. It's a single-ended 6V6 type. It's presently set up with the speaker hardwired to the OPT. I'd like to add a chassis speaker jack to allow me to use external speakers or use the Univox speaker with other amps. One side of the OPT goes to...
  6. JonL

Can monoblocks sit on top of speakers?

Practicality sometimes outweighs perfection. My tube amp sits on one of my speakers. If there’s some sonic degradation I’m gonna have to accept it and therefore I don’t dwell on it and I enjoy the music. My bigger concern (at least in my space) is that I need a pretty long cable from the preamp...
  7. JonL

Beginner PCB References?

Thanks so much everyone! I will look at all these resources myself too(I'm also interested, just for grins... no plans to do anything) and pass the list along to my student. I'm looking forward to a broader discussion with him to see what he's interested in doing.
  8. JonL

Dynaco PAS 2/3 or 3x ????

I had a 3x. I appreciated the reason for the special pots that lift the wiper at the center (flat) position, but I felt that the mechanism created too much of a dead zone around the center position of the controls. I think a better solution would have been a simple tone control bypass switch.
  9. JonL

Beginner PCB References?

I'm a high school teacher and have a student (whom I do not know very well) that came to me asking if I knew anywhere he could look to help with making PCBs. We only had a moment to chat, so I don't know exactly what he's doing, but I asked if he was looking for programs to help draw them or...
  10. JonL

I pick up these Heathkit speakers tomorrow

Mfg code 220 = Jensen.
  11. JonL

Hobbyist Vs someone who owns a decent stereo?

When I buy used records, people often ask me if I'm a "collector." I tell them I buy things I want to listen to, so not really a collector. But with ~2500 LPs, many of which I'll never listen to, am I actually a collector? Sort of. I have a record collection. I add to it more often than I like...
  12. JonL

What attracted you to Klipsch?

I don't really recall exactly why I got my first pair of Klipsch, even though it wasn't that long ago. I had gotten divorced, moved out of my house into a very small (<300 sq.ft.) apartment and wanted to get my stereo going again after years of disuse. My old speakers needed work so I remember...
  13. JonL

La Scala Sound Quality Issue

I put my La Scalas into the corners of my room, more for space issues than sound, but it made a huge improvement in the bass extension. Fortunately the room dimensions are such that the corner placement didn’t hurt imaging and soundstage too much, though it was a little better when the speakers...
  14. JonL

Do you "Pre-order"?

I preorder from a handful of independent or less well known artists I follow. I figure the early sales are a nice little shot in the arm for musicians that are working hard and not making a whole lot of $$$. Just pre-ordered this one in fact...
  15. JonL

AR 4x - preparing a rehab

Personally, I think recapping with a high quality film cap and replacing the potentiometer with a proper unit would enhance the resale value. If I were keeping the speakers for myself I’d simply bypass the pot to run the tweeter at max all the time. I think they sound best that way.
  16. JonL

Covid, RSA, RSV, Flu, cold, 2024

I teach in a very crowded NYC high school. I ride the NYC subway every day. My life is a petri dish. In preparation, I got the latest booster in September. I started feeling slightly crappy this afternoon - a little tired (not unusual for me in the afternoon), runny nose, scratchy throat. Just...
  17. JonL

Has Anyone Reassembled a Stereo From His/Her Youth?

I still have the Dynaco SCA-35 I built in around 1973 and the AR-4x speakers I paired with it. The entry-level Dual turntable is long gone, but I do still have the B&O 3404 turntable that replaced the Dual in around 1980 or 81. The Dynaco was in my office system (with Celestion DL-8s) up until a...
  18. JonL

I'm listening.

I had girlfriend who loved to listen the same way as I did. Our tastes overlapped quite a bit, and she would enjoy just sitting quietly (or grooving) and listening to both sides of an LP along with me. Unfortunately she was also a violent psycho. My current girlfriend is wonderful in every way...
  19. JonL

Happy Birthday JonL!

Thanks everyone!
  20. JonL

Dynakit ST70 messed up please help

I agree that the very first step in troubleshooting one channel out is to swap the input cables. If the problem stays with the channel then start digging deeper. Since you’ve already taken voltage readings and you have an anomaly that is inconsistent with the symptoms, I’d re-check your 6GH8A...
  21. JonL

Has anyone tried to unwarp a vinyl using a heated bed of a 3D Printer?

Here's an old clip from 14 years ago (forgive the quality of the video) of my TX-2 tracking a very warped record. Can you hear any sound effects as the stylus tracks the warp?
  22. JonL

Vinyl only spin list

23. JonL

Did manufacturers sell matched tubes back in the day?

$10 in 1962 is $102 in 2023 dollars. Still a bargain for a matched pair of new KT-66, but these tubes weren't "cheap" even back then.
  24. JonL

Mr. Authoritative has been duly corrected. Thanks all! https://www.facebook.com/groups/236440804318485/permalink/1017073992921825/?mibextid=W9rl1R
  25. JonL

The “back story” on starting this thread… there was some discussion on a facebook group about matched tubes. Someone posted that no one cared about matched tubes back in the tube era because it wasn’t necessary, and that selling matched pairs was a recent “audiophile” marketing thing. I...
Back
Top Bottom