Search results

1. M

Class A and electrical bills

I am currently running a Monarchy SM-70 Pro. Perhaps not truly Class A all the way. I would say our hot tub VASTLY exceeds the cost of my amp being on 5-6 hours a day...
  2. M

Speaker building

In Toronto you may find Audio Hardware Inc useful. They sell components and build Xovers and custom speakers for folks. Another option is The Speaker Shop. Up in Waterloo is a place called Q Components. Have fun!
  3. M

Age and your satisfaction with your Main Rig

Mid 40's. Had played with DIY OB speakers in the past (for 10 years) and recently found much satisfaction with Maggies. Bought a set of MMG on a lark and a week later landed a set of 1.6QR's. Driving them with my Crown XLS1500 via a NuForce preamp and Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11. Feel like the...
  4. M

I'm auditioning some Maggies...

I am using Class D with my Mye Standed 1.6QR's. I run a Crown XLS 1500 amp (ballpark 500wpc into 4 ohm) and it makes me very happy. Much better match than my 2 channel Yamaha receiver (RX-797). I had MMG's for about a week before I saw the 1.6's for sale locally and went for it. Both have...
  5. M

Inexpensive headphone holder for five (or more) headphones.

Nice! Some guys buy a pool noodle at the dollar store and cut short pieces to push down on the coat rack hooks. Helps reduce any bends in your headbands, and cheap to boot.
  6. M

Maggies and Power

I have owned MMG's and now 1.6's. I am very happy with a Crown XLS 1500 pushing about 500wpc into 4 ohms. I seriously never use much of that power mind you, I measure peaks 85-88dB 90% of the time. I would bet that amp you have will deliver a great taste!
  7. M

I think I have room for Magnepans

Agree with running the panels full range. I run my 1.6's that way, and bring the sub in at 40Hz. Works out well.
  8. M

I think I have room for Magnepans

Good stuff, love seeing a new convert. I am pretty new to it myself. I picked up a set of MMG's locally for kicks. A week later I sold my Totem Model 1's and picked up a local set of the 1.6QR's with Mye Stands. Sold the MMG's a week later. My wife upon seeing these 1.6's just laughed out...
  9. M

Drag racing followers, Its finally happened !!!

We had a "Squaremont" back in the mid 80's. The world's most boring stock car (meaning as factory delivered - not the video!) with the inline 6 and autobox in it.
  10. M

Any member in Taipei Taiwan?

I lived in Taipei for 2 years in the mid 90's. There is some very nice gear made there that will cost you way less there than over in North America. I recommend you hunt down the Usher offices. Their amps and speakers work nicely together.
  11. M

Network Music Player Upgrade

I would stick with the Touch. I still use one in one of my setups. Installing the free 3rd party app called EDO allows you to process 24/172 and 24/192 also. It feeds all to my Grand Fidelity TubeDAC-11. Great combo. iPeng on the iOS device and it all works perfectly. For years.
  12. M

TubeDAC-11 24/88.2 question

Ahem, was able to answer my own question using my SB Touch to output 24/88.2. Yes, the Grant DAC will process 24/88.2 via coax input - but not via USB input.
  13. M

TubeDAC-11 24/88.2 question

I am enjoying various hi rez formats via my GF DAC - 24/48, 24/96 and 24/192. I know that the GF does not accept 24/88.2 via the USB input. Can it decode 24/88.2 via the coax input? If so, I would consider picking up a usb-coax converter etc. Thanks, Mark
  14. M

Well it finally happened!

Its nice to hear for sure. My daughters enjoy music (mostly their own, but they have some favs from my collection too). I bought them decent (not great, but decent) headphones, since their fav listening is always via that medium. In time I hope they too ask for some help, but they...
  15. M

Music from your YOUTH - Is Music From the Era of 18-21 Still Your Favorite?

So for me that would be 88-91 in terms of timeframe. The popularization of grunge, the continued swell of the birth of electronica, Stone Roses and the Manchester movement etc. I do still listen to some of it, and the Tall Paul remix of Fools Gold remains a nostalgic fav, as does some...
  16. M

The Killing

Totally agree. Joel K totally owned that series. His mix of good and bad was very well executed.
  17. M

PogoPlug VAMP

Happy with the VAMP here too. Been running one for around 2 years now. It feeds my modified Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 very nicely. I run the iPeng app on all the house ios devices, so I have ready access to pick tunes or adjust volume etc.
  18. M

I love my wife !!

It's always nice to hear about other accommodating spouses. :banana: I recently bought a set of Maggie MMG's for my basement listening area. She saw them and laughed out loud. The following week I brought in a set of Maggie 1.6QR's. More laughter and shaking of the head about "what a...
  19. M

Receivers from the 90s on with remotes that aren't boring?

I own a Yamaha RX-797. Variable loudness, remote, CD Direct, pre outs etc. Good sound. It is from the series just before all the hype about the AS1000/AS2000 and shares some of the underpinnings.
  20. M

maggie smga thoughts

I bought a set of MMG's last week, so similiar to your SMG's. I am using a Crown XLS 1500 to drive them. I run a small Yamaha powered sub. I let the MMG's run full range, and bring the sub in around 45-50Hz. My MMG's are 29 inches off the front wall, and 24 inches off the side wall...
  21. M

Crown XLS1000 amp with bookshelf speakers?

I am running a 1500 into my Totem Model 1's. I use a modified Grant Fidelity TubeDAC direct into the XLS. i am running Logitech Media Server, and use the application to control the volume. Works great for me, good luck!
  22. M

What was the fastest car you ever owned?

Like some of the other posters, I have never really owned a fast car. Bikes ruined it for me. The fastest car I have owned was a 1987 Calais with the Quad 4 motor and a 5 speed. The fastest bike I ever owned was a built Suzuki GSXR1100. It was an 89 frame with a 91 motor in it, built out to...
  23. M

Opinions on 2way Monitors

From your list I would recommend the Paradigms. I had a pair of Studio Reference 20's for a while and really enjoyed them. Currently loving the Totem Model 1's which used are also in your budget.
  24. M

How to make digital sound like analog vinyl?

I have been all digital for getting on 15 years now. I'd recommend FLAC as the file format. Lossless, and read by just about all media s/w (iTunes excepted). I'd also say that the DAC can make a big impact on the sound. I was very happy with an HRT Music Streamer II usb dac for a...
  25. M

What are you listening to right now and on what speakers

The Dave Brubeck Quartet live at Carnegie Hall. Totem Model 1's.
Back
Top Bottom