Search results

1. M

In defense of the JBL L100

Those original inline L100's were capable of more natural and more neutral sound than the later offset ones that ran the woofer full range. They also had a better sounding tweeter. The later ones did have a little tighter bass due to the port ducting that was added. Even though the L100 was...
  2. M

MC275 VI or two MC240's

There has always been disagreement about the whole 225 240 275 thing. They are all good in their own way but I don't know how anyone could say that the 240 doesn't sound good. Mike
  3. M

MC225 reissue

For a while it seemed like the reissue MC275's sort of drove the prices of the originals down. Now it seems like you see originals bringing crazy prices again. Of course condition means a lot with the originals and they were never that common to begin with. I actually wonder if their are or will...
  4. M

MC225 reissue

It would be interesting. The original MC225 is pretty modern sounding itself. I'm not sure it would differ sonically like the original MC275 and reissue 275 supposedly differ. I'm pretty sure that the original and reissue MC275 had very different output transformers. The original had three...
  5. M

Upgrade: C28/MC2505 for MA6600?

When I first owned one I wasn't a huge fan of it either. Of the several I've had experience with over the last twenty years only one of them had an actual failure where it did not work properly. The other four all were somewhat noisy and had volume controls that were off balance but none of them...
  6. M

Upgrade: C28/MC2505 for MA6600?

I agree that the C28's are not perfect but they are not as bad as some people say they are. Mike
  7. M

L250 owners...tell me about your explorations into amplification for these things

My experience with the 250 (Ti version) is that they require some care in set up and amplifier matching. They can be pretty disappointing if not driven properly or they can be so realistic that it's almost startling. A good stiff solid state amplifier is needed for proper low end control and...
  8. M

why no c29 for sale

I don't think the C29 is that rare just not nearly as common as the C28. It was sort of neat in that it was the last evolution of the "traditional" Mac preamp. Mike
  9. M

I scored a pair of beautiful JBL L96 speakers!

The L96, L112 and L150A are where JBL really got it right in terms of combining the dynamic and lively sound of the older systems with overall flatter response, tighter bass, better imaging, smooth highs etc. And yes the L96 is often preferred over the larger ones. Mike
  10. M

JBL L 250 A New Addition To My System

They require careful set up in general. I've heard them sound good with large and small amps both tube and solid state. They are fairly efficient but would benefit from the control and damping of a large solid state amp. Purists don't like equalizers but in most rooms I've found that they (at...
  11. M

ADS L1590 Owners - What Amps do you use?

They always seem to work best with a higher end solid state amp. They can sound edgy and harsh on some mid fi amps. Mike
  12. M

this looks awesome: barzilay console w/ fisher, jbl

They actually did make the LE12C in the early sixties. Most of the earlier ones have a black cone rather than the more common white cone. Either way they are a unique looking driver and piece of JBL craftsmanship that sounds ok as well. They tend to bring at least $300 a pair in very nice...
  13. M

Bi-wiring ADS 1590s

The extra terminals on the L1590 are for biamping not biwiring. I think that the low pass section of the crossover is eliminated when going through the low frequency input. Mike
  14. M

Mac tube amps

It's all a matter of opinion but I'd say people sometimes want to prefer the older tube stuff. I've seen a few comparisons over the years of older Mac tube amps to older Mac solid state amps where those thinking they were going to prefer the tube amps were surprised at how well something like...
  15. M

Free JBL L-100s

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when L100's or 4311's are set up away from walls and corners on stands with the midrange control turned down some and are driven by a good high end amp they can be pretty realistic and natural sounding. I mean they don't totally get away from the...
  16. M

JBL L150s

The smoother sound of the original was the crossover design. The original was voiced to be more laid back and natural along with L110 that shared the same crossover. The A version was meant to be a little more forward sounding like the L100 and earlier JBL's, but still somewhat refined...
  17. M

JBL L150s

Great all around speaker. They do a lot of things well and can do those things with dynamics. Mike
  18. M

Searching for a pair of JBLs

The L150 was voiced to be more laid back and the L150A was voiced to be a little more forward, the a version being a bit more of a rock speaker. Both are good speakers. Both versions of the 150's are a more verstatile speaker than the 250Ti in my opinion. I've owned all three and the 250Ti is...
  19. M

Did I pay too much for this McIntosh gear??

It's nice to see someone that actually appreciates the stuff get a good deal like that. Anymore I get the impression that a lot of the people looking for vintage hi fi don't even have any real appreciation for it, but are just into reselling it. Mike
  20. M

McIntosh C28 Vs. "Modern" Pre

It all depends. The more modern stuff is going to be more quiet and probably sound a little more extended and immediate at the top end. However I've also found that some of the more affordable solid state preamps have that electronic and grainy sound that the C28 does not have. Mike
  21. M

Help ID large JBL

They are Olympus cabinets that have had trim work added to the original grilles and are loaded with with the LE14A/LE20 system. Mike
  22. M

Mcintosh C28 phone section noise.

The phono selection is much more sensitive to dirty contacts as it deals with smaller signals and has much more gain. More than likely you just need to clean your selector switch and other switches with some sort of contact cleaner. Mike
  23. M

Photos Of My New McIntosh MI-200

I think that they use a triode for the output tube so I assume that the output circuit is entirely different than the other Mcintosh tube amps. I've also heard that the MI200 was the best sounding vintage Mcintosh tube amp. Mike
  24. M

Fake 40th anniversary MC275

The whole MC275 thing has gotten out of hand at this point. Mike
  25. M

OK, so what is the consensus on the JBL 4310?

4310's aren't very common and are collector's items but also some feel that the 4310 was a more natural sounding speaker than the 4311 that replaced it and is more common. The 4310 used a different xover and tweeter. It seems "Studio Monitor" was used by JBL for speakers that strived for a flat...
Back
Top Bottom