Search results

1. Edwin Powell

North Carolina anyone?

I'm in Greensboro. Count me in.
  2. Edwin Powell

Snagged a pair of Advent/1 speakers

So I've been helping my parents clean out their house as they prepare to move into a much smaller apartment in a retirement community. In the basement, I found a pair of Advent/1 speakers, complete with their metal stands. I just got back home last night so I haven't had time to do anything with...
  3. Edwin Powell

Newbie from N.C.

Hi neighbor, I'm right down the road in GSO
  4. Edwin Powell

I hate craigslist!

I've had mixed results with Craigslist but no worse than placing or responding to a classified ad in the newspaper back in the day. I got my cat from a CL ad and that's worked out very well for both of us. I've also bought and sold a few cars that way. With cars, I like to meet the prospective...
  5. Edwin Powell

Your Favorite Sadly Underutilized Minor Character

I used to live in Mt. Airy, N.C., Andy Griffith's hometown. I had a neighbor there whose most prized possession was a brick signed by the actor who played Ernest T.
  6. Edwin Powell

How often do you hit the thrift store?

There are a couple of thrift stores I try to hit about once a week. More often than not, there isn't anything of interest. But once in a while, I catch something really good like a Pioneer CD changer for $5. Although not audio, my latest fun thrift find was a Mr. Coffee K-cup coffeemaker in...
  7. Edwin Powell

JVC does not get much respect

I've been having a weird problem with my 1994 vintage JVC RX-206 receiver lately. Occasionally, for no apparent reason, the fade mute function would spontaneously activate, seemingly all on its own. I'd turn it back up, either with the remote or by turning the knob on the receiver itself, and...
  8. Edwin Powell

Binge watching music documentaries this weekend.

I worked at a grocery store called Big Star when I was in high school.
  9. Edwin Powell

JVC does not get much respect

Nice JVC CD player. And that's a really sweet Kenwood receiver it's hooked to!
  10. Edwin Powell

Binge watching music documentaries this weekend.

I watched "John Denver: Country Boy" on Netflix yesterday. I'm not that big of a fan but the documentary was well done. Also noteworthy is "Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me" , which lovingly documents his extended farewell tour as he struggles with Alzheimer's. I'm looking forward to "Carole King...
  11. Edwin Powell

Kenwood Owners Show Us Your Kenwoods!

Beautiful amp and beautifully photographed! I love the gunmetal finish.
  12. Edwin Powell

What's the newest and oldest component in your system?

The oldest is probably my Pioneer PL12D-II turntable, although it may be a tie with the Sansui RA-500 reverb amp. Both date from the early '70s. The newest that I know for sure is my Sony CDB-CE375 CD changer that dates from 2005.
  13. Edwin Powell

HELP!!! My cat thinks one of my speakers is a scratching post!

A few days ago, my girlfriend gave me some stuff in a spray bottle she'd gotten for her dogs called 'Bitter Yuck'. It seems to work better with my cat than it did with her poodles. After I sprayed the speaker grille and cabinet liberally with it, my cat Lily sniffed at it for a few seconds right...
  14. Edwin Powell

What radio did you grow up listening too???

We had an early '60s vintage Admiral console stereo in the living room that had a tube amplifier, AM/FM tuner, turntable and two speakers. Dad won it on The Price is Right when my parents went to New York for their first anniversary in 1962. The earliest radio I remember having in my room was a...
  15. Edwin Powell

Whew!...I think I just dodged a bullet

I've had several Magnavox CD players over the years and presently own three, including a boom box. They've all worked very well as you say. This one has more metal in it than any of the others I've had. One thing that's kind of curious about it is it responds to a Pioneer remote. This one's a...
  16. Edwin Powell

Whew!...I think I just dodged a bullet

This afternoon when I got home for work, I loaded up a six-CD magazine with some new (to me, at least) discs I'd acquired at a thrift store over the weekend, but when I went to eject the magazine that was in the player, a Magnavox CDB-570, nothing happened. The player was responding as though it...
  17. Edwin Powell

....and give her a Vulcan neck pinch, if necessary.
  18. Edwin Powell

Wow, what a rich selection of things to consider. Thanks! My cat is nothing if not stubborn. She ignores her scratching post although she loves to abuse this old footstool I grabbed just for that purpose. I've been squirting her with a squirt gun to keep her off kitchen counters with mixed--and...
  19. Edwin Powell

Okay, I think the subject line pretty well conveys the message. My cat has singled out one of my Kenwood speakers in the dining room as a scratching post. Why she has picked this one speaker of the ten speakers in the house, eight of which are at floor level, as the target for her punishment, I...
  20. Edwin Powell

Technics CD player tray won't open

Last night, I decided to cut my—admittedly minuscule—losses and list the player and its remote on eBay. I've just got too much functioning audio equipment in the house right now to justify it taking up space. As Kenny Rogers would say, sometimes you "gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to...
  21. Edwin Powell

Paul Kantner died today, how sad.

Yeah, I knew about Jefferson and Adams--learned about it visiting Monticello as a kid. And on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, no less
  22. Edwin Powell

Okay, that's just too weird...both of them on the same day.
  23. Edwin Powell

I caught Hot Tuna a few years back, 2006 maybe? Definitely worth the effort to go see them--sooner rather than later, if you know what I mean.
  24. Edwin Powell

This month's passing of Bowie, Frey, and now Kantner put me in mind of a line from an old song: "If there's a rock and roll heaven, you know they've got a helluva band!" ...and the stage just got a little more crowded and the amps turned up just a little louder. Gonna have to dig out the PERRO...
  25. Edwin Powell

What's your latest audio purchase?

Yeah Bret. You can count me as a Magnavox fan. Their CD players from the late '80s and early '90s were very solid--and underrated, IMO--units. I really liked that CDB-492 and have long regretted getting rid of it. I'm glad to have finally replaced it. The only problem I ever had with it was the...
Back
Top Bottom