Search results

1. loweran

SX-850 restore

Hi All, Been a while but I am preparing for an SX-850 restore. The unit is really in nice cosmetic shape, and runs but needs a recap. I have already pulled the covers off and started some cleaning. I am getting my parts order ready and expect to get started this week. I have a question I have...
  2. loweran

DC Offset for SX-1500T

All I have been sitting on this thing for too long. Any idea how to set the proper voltages for it? Thanks!
  3. loweran

SX-1500T restore issues

All, I have been working on an SX-1500T. I have all the boards recapped and many transistors replaced. Voltages are good, unit is functioning but there is an issue that I am tracking down. The left channel is weaker than the right and seems to be a bit muffled. I have traced sound signal and it...
  4. loweran

SX-1500T outputs

All I am working on an SX-1500T and have shorted outputs. Two are RCA SK3036 and two are 2SC793. I cant seem to find a replacement recommendation for the RCA SK3036. Anyone know what that might be? This dang think is causing me fits. Lots of lifted traces and a short! Also the control board is...
  5. loweran

Dual 1229 tracking issues

I have a Dual that has been set aside for quite a while. I have done the normal service on this one including a new pimple, new rubber multi adjust ring, cleaning up the gummed up speed selector and cleaned and added new Alvania greese to the main gear. It seems to be working fine other than...
  6. loweran

Help with a broken microwave

All, my microwave stopped heating after a worn spot on under the waveguide caused arching. I suspect it's a fuse but wont know till I get in there. The concern I have is the capacitor. It 'should' have a built in bleeder, but I will have to discharge to be sure. Any advise on using a...
  7. loweran

Dual 1229 tone arm movement at start

I know this has been covered many times, but I cant seem to figure out what to look for. My new to me 1229 is not cooperating. When I select start, the tone arm rises, moves to toward the record and stops about half way there. If I give it a nudge, it completes the travel to the record. At the...
  8. loweran

SA-9500 II output transistor options

I am considering purchasing a SA-9500 II. I know the outputs are not in production any more and I have been researching to see what the recommended replacements are? I can't seem to find a definitive answer on this. I want to make sure there is a good option before I purchase a unit. Does...
  9. loweran

Replacing the power cord on an SA-7800

I am replacing my cut power cord on my SA-7800. I think I have it wired right but want to be sure. I have a polarized cord and I wired the fat side to the terminal that the brown wire from the transformer attaches to. The hot side is wired to the side with the switch and that side goes through a...
  10. loweran

SA-7800 restore

All, I have an SA-7800 which arrived this weekend. I pulled the cover and did the initial inspection. Looks like a few burned resistors. From what I have read, I need to do a full test of each component on this unit. I did fire it up on a DBT, which might have not been the best approach, but...
  11. loweran

is there a SA-7800 recap list

All, I have an SA-7800 coming my way. From what I have read, these non-switching amps can be difficult. The unit powers up according to seller and pics, but condition is otherwise unknown. Is there a parts list for these? I tried search and did not come up with one.
  12. loweran

How does volume control work?

All, I have a basic question about volume. I have a raspberrypi connected to my SX-1010 aux port. I am trying to understand how volume control works. I assume that a volume pot is just a variable resistor that allows more voltage through to the amp circuit the higher you set it. One question I...
  13. loweran

Remote mount filter caps?

Anyone ever remote mount filters? I bought the same diameter filters for my SA-7500II so I can't stuff them. They will not mate up to the board? These mount in brackets to the back side of the heat sink. Could I wire them to the board with wire and mount them in place?
  14. loweran

Vintage audio getting more expensive.

Seems like since I started this hobby just a few years ago, that the prices of vintage gear are rising considerably. I occasionally find a reasonable price for a piece of gear, but most of the eBay and local listings are incredibly high. Even non-working gear seems to be priced at a premium. Do...
  15. loweran

SX-1000TW Death Cap

Sorry this is a redundant post, but I feel it necessary. I just put a re-capped SX-1000TW in my daughters bedroom. Then I read a thread about death caps. In this unit its C14, a ceramic cap. I did not replace this cap. I am out of town. Should I have my wife unplug the receiver until I can get...
  16. loweran

SA-7500II recap

All, I am starting to put a list together for an SA-7500II. This is a working unit and sounds pretty good as is. So, the question is, should I just replace the top 10 worst list of transistors in the unit which are only two 798s or should I target more? Also, if the power is good, should I...
  17. loweran

Trying to narrow down the choice.

I am looking for speakers to mate with a Pioneer SA-7500II for my daughters bedroom. She is 12 so listens to a lot of pop music. I am trying to keep it around $100. Locally the following are available: Boston A100 NHT 1.3A ADS L400 (ones with a port on the front. My other daughter has the L500s...
  18. loweran

SX-1000TW restore

All, I am waiting on the arrival of an SX-1000TW. It is not in a working state but looks to power on without blowing fuses. I am not planning on touching the tuner at this point. One question I have is are there viable replacement for the VR pots in the unit. It has a pair of 300 Ohm and 30K...
  19. loweran

Couple of 'new' items coming my way.

I have an SA-7500II and an SX-1000TW coming. I am getting excited. Gotta get my parts lists ready!
  20. loweran

Any one here re-cap an SA-5800?

I am considering one for my daughters bed room, but can't find a lot of info on them here. The service manual is very basic as well. It does have a list of caps but no board images. Also looking to see if there are any known transistors that should be replaced.
  21. loweran

838 went from fine to transistor radio like

Hi All, I restored this 838 a while back. My daughter has been using it all summer. She tends to want to listen with it half way up for long hours. Today, she was listening to it, and it something happened. She said she did not hear a pop or anything, but it just went from a nice full sound to...
  22. loweran

Should I replace the filter caps?

All, I have three Pioneers that I have restored, the SX-737, SX-838 and the SX-1010. They all have new caps and transistors using the great parts lists available here. The only cap's that were not replaced were the filter caps. Should I consider going back into these and replacing those? All...
  23. loweran

Looking for another x3x to restore

The last one I got went too fast. I would like to source one for a friend and redo it. I am curious what sources you all tap into to find these things. I have gotten 2 on ebay and one locally on CL. Just curious if there are other sources of them.
  24. loweran

SX-838 FM muting issue

All, I just recapped an SX-838. Everything is working great, except the FM Muting has no affect. The tune is very touchy too, but it pulls in stations and locks in well. I think it may need an alignment. Any ideas about the muting issue?
  25. loweran

Are ads L500s a good match with an SX-838?

I am considering this speaker for my 838 but a little worried that the receiver is too much for them. Thoughts?
Back
Top Bottom