Search results

1. T

Yamaha PX-3 troubles, help requested

Short version: The tonearm will only move to the right (away from center of platter). I know it is not a slipping belt, because the motor is not moving. Longer version: I did have a problem with a slipping belt on my PX-3. The tonearm needed a little help to get moving at the beginning of play...
  2. T

Onkyo ribbon tweeter from E200 speakers

I recently picked up a pair of Onkyo E200 speakers and one of the tweeters is bad. It was bad when I tested the resistance and when I looked under the magnet, the ribbon looks burnt. Anyway, the speakers sound better than I expected even with only one tweeter, but they seem pretty darn rare. I...
  3. T

KLH Model 5 restore

I found a pair of KLH Model 5s at my local goodwill for $14.99 a while back. 20170310_065656 by therocket290 posted Jul 13, 2017 at 6:12 PM I recapped them over the winter, made some stands (each filled with 25lbs of cat litter) for them in the spring, and finally got around to refinishing...
  4. T

Question about Optonica receiver idle current

I was helping my buddy clean up and adust the DC offset and idle current on his Optonica SA-5606. We set the DC offset first and that was fine. When setting the idle current, our goal was 10mv between two test points. The left channel had zero voltage between the test points, regardless of where...
  5. T

New office system

Office_system2 by therocket290 posted Jan 30, 2017 at 12:51 PM Office_system1 by therocket290 posted Jan 30, 2017 at 12:51 PM The semester just started today, so I treated myself to an updated office system. I recently picked up an Optonica system and put the amp and tuner in my office along...
  6. T

AR-2ax worth shipping home?

I'm visiting my mom and found a pair of AR-2ax speakers in her basement. They belonged to my deceased stepfather. The cabinets are in fantastic ccondition. My stepfather really took good care of his stuff. In fact I just packed his old Sony PS-LX22 turntable with the plastic film still on the...
  7. T

Estate/garage sale driven system

Here's my main system. I bought my first stereo for Christmas 2015, all new, low-budget stuff. Then I discovered some vintage gear at an estate sale a month later and I've been hooked since. Infinity 7 Kappa ($40), Carver m1.0t (not an estate sale find), Sansui 9090db ($60, as preamp for...
  8. T

Sansui 9090db pre outs

Is there a difference between the two pre outs on a Sansui 9090db? What I specifically want to know is whether the volume knob on the Sansui controls the output on both pre outs or is one of them fixed?
  9. T

Infinity Kappa 7 with Sansui 9090db

I am currently using a Sansui 9090db in my main setup. Today, I picked up a pair of Infinity Kappa 7 speakers for $40 at an estate sale. They look really clean and cared-for. The foam looked good, but when I turned it up a bit I noticed that the surrounds need replaced. I have new foams on the...
  10. T

New to me 2270

I just picked up a Marantz 2270 at a yard sale. I plan to recap it this summer, but I'm wondering if it's safe to listen to at loud volumes until then. So far, I opened it up and did the DC offset, voltage, and idle current adjustments and cleaned the controls. Nothing looks awry inside and it...
  11. T

Kenwood KD-2070 cartridge recommendation

I just picked up a Kenwood KD-2070 and a Pioneer SX-780 for $90 at an estate sale: KD-2070 by therocket290 posted Feb 12, 2016 at 11:39 PM KD-2070 2 by therocket290 posted Feb 12, 2016 at 11:39 PM SX-780 by therocket290 posted Feb 12, 2016 at 11:39 PM Man, I'm surprised by how good the...
  12. T

Teac TN-300 stability

After seeing me checking out vintage turntables with wooden plinths, my wife decided to surprise me with a Teac TN-300. It definitely was not what I was looking for, but I wanted to check it out. I should let you know that I am a total noob when it comes to turntables. I compare the speed...
  13. T

Recommendations wanted

I recently purchased my first stereo as a family Christmas present. I had a small budget of around $500 and was intending to primarily listen to music from my external hard drive and also streaming stuff from the internet. My wife has a small record collection and I thought it would be fun to...
Back
Top Bottom