Search results

1. Sam08861

Power conditioners Snake oil?

I get piece of mind from my SurgeX SEQ. Have no real idea on the impact to sound. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEQ2U--surgex-seq-2u-14-outlet-20a-power-sequencer ~ $1800 new, but quite often easy to get on ebay for $100-200. (sales from regular server farm refreshes, etc) There's...
  2. Sam08861

Is high power a waste at low to medium volume?

Most of my listening is under 1 watt, even when it's somewhat loud. Woofer is over 96db for sensitivity and the horn 105db. That's an earful at 1 watt! I drive the woofers at 160watts/channel and the horn at 70wpc. (8ohm rms) I don't know if it's overkill, but my theory is those big...
  3. Sam08861

Most Underrated Album from the Mid-1980s

Apart from the popular songs, the remainder of the album is seemingly unknown to most folks. "Baby can I hold you" and "If not now" are simply emotional experiences every time I hear them and pretty well recorded.
  4. Sam08861

Permission to paint Dual 1219 bread-box?

Paint away! You can always sand or reveneer pretty easily. (oem veneer is VERY thin though) Other than being original the, oem base is flimsy. Ok for a suspension table, but with a retro-mod fat tire style wheel for the idler, anti resonance counterweight (from dual 701) and 3 layer mdf...
  5. Sam08861

Getting into compact cassette for playback... Advice on suggested features and some available options

Well, I spoke too fast. On screen I got a you have won the aucution notice, to be followed by you have been outbid in my email 90 seconds after the auction, with the time stamps to match. Weird. Looks like the other person got the unit for ~$260. Hopefully a good unit for them, but for me...
  6. Sam08861

Getting into compact cassette for playback... Advice on suggested features and some available options

Thanks all! Snagged the NAD for $230 at auction. A bit over my budget, but from what I understand a pretty good deck. Fingers crossed it isn't beyond my skills for maintenance and refreshing. Will post some pics when received. Sam
  7. Sam08861

Thanks SgtShultz, I'm getting more comfortable with eBay and searching options there as well. Nice snag on the Teac! Incidentally, there's Tascam 112 available locally for a bit more than that, but doesn't seem to be near the quality of the 122.
  8. Sam08861

Thanks Everyone and Taketheflame, the NR and HX overview is incredibly helpful, than you!
  9. Sam08861

Thanks Hajidub, I did do some searching on tapeheads and google searches for each, but posted here to get some more opinions. I don't know why I didn't post there too, but doing so now. There's also a JVC-TD-V66 for $275. Curious if you happen to know how the KD-V6 and TDV66 compare?
  10. Sam08861

Things you can only hear on your high end systems

I don't do headphones as they are way too uncomfortable for me, but I do have a pair of $180 (used) wired earbuds for travel that I can definitely hear more clarity than freebee earbuds that come with phones, particularly in the mids/lows. Sure I can hear the sounds, but in some cases, at my...
  11. Sam08861

Want old school mid range system...could use some help.

I think if you crave nostalgia, any decent tape deck and a tube receiver with some large woofered speakers should get you there. I'm assuming what you miss is the big sound, deep bass, rich voices and smooth melodic tones. My ampex (altought reel to reel) tape deck, fisher tube receiver and...
  12. Sam08861

Decided to invest $100-200 on a relatively affordable tape deck. I'll be using this machine for playback only to occasionally play my girlfriends collection of cassettes on my main system. (She has great taste in music!). I don't care too much for conveniences like remotes, music search, etc...
  13. Sam08861

How many members use reel to reel decks here ?

Not very frequently, but my modded otari 5050 (mk III-2) might get 10-12hours of use every six months. I do need to start making mix tapes or hit that powerball, so I can buy $450 tape project tapes, lol.
  14. Sam08861

Is anyone running a Luxman L-509x as a preamp?

Might be a good pre if you get the active version of those ATC speakers. Perhaps audition some higher efficiency speakers with the 509x as well?
  15. Sam08861

My First Fisher

Wharfedale W60D/W70D/90D mark IIs would be splendid.
  16. Sam08861

Minidsp ideas and options

Tried one as an active crossover/room eq (flex 8), didn't like the SQ or cludginess of the interface. Driverack PA2 was much better, but it too was replaced by a DIY active analog crossover. (Similar to K235 from sublime acoustics)
  17. Sam08861

New 800B

Looking good Freddie73 and looking forward to seeing the unit fully restored!
  18. Sam08861

Combining new and old Luxman equipment

Hi Woodwind, great thread! When a/b ing the LRS and 550AXii, how efficient/large were the speakers? Curious if there's a greater difference between the new and old on more efficient speakers at low volumes. I've been contemplating new gear to upgrade my old luxman stuff, but wondering how big...
  19. Sam08861

What does everyone own for tube gear!

Fisher 500b - 12ax7 pre 7591 power Voice of Music - 12ax7 pre 6v6GT power Other related tube stuff Eiso 625 - tube tester Eico 232 - vtvm Eico 369 - signal gen
  20. Sam08861

How many amplifiers can you run or "watts RMS" on a single 15A circuit?

I'm running maybe 1900 watts nominal, don't know about the actual draw. amps sub 1200w Mid 320w Hi 140w Preamp/EQ/Active Crossover ~100w Power conditioner and Sources ~100w The socket the stereo system is now plugged into 15A and is controlled by a levitton Wifi switch, which failed and...
  21. Sam08861

Thank you for accepting me into this community from Italy

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your aluminium anodizing technique!
  22. Sam08861

Does the Mini DSP 2x4 have CD compensation built in?

My experience with this has been that none of the consumer digital crossovers that I've tried are up to snuff, particularly with hi-res music and while most pre-built crossovers are better they are typically pro (Ashly, DBX) and also not quite there, so also ended up doing DIY, which has turned...
  23. Sam08861

Now I bring you a Chubby Cable

I think this cable is fantastic and wish they were all made like this! Not a bad price either. For charging phones that is. I have one of those new motorola GAN fast chargers and it wigs me out when I see tiny usb C cables carrying 100+ watts! My phone (5000mah battery) charges to 100% in...
Back
Top Bottom