Search results

1. efzauner

yet another TX9500 parts repair question!

I have another crack at a non working TX9500. Seems all semis and ICs are available or fixable(relay) except for the FM detector IC. M5109PR What are the chances that this is the culprit? Seller says there is no sound at all and tuning dials dont move. If it were this FM detector IC then AM...
  2. efzauner

TX9500 left channel out?

thanks the transistors seem to be replaceable or obtainable.
  3. efzauner

TX9500 left channel out?

Hello There is a TX9500 for sale at reasonable price but seller says left channel not working. Seems the tuning lights and meters are working. Can I assume that if the problem is common to both AM and FM and is also not functional in FM Mono mode then the problem is after the Tuning circuits...
  4. efzauner

Denon DVD2900 Impressions

Hello all. I have a DVR2900 that I purchased long ago. It is suffering the CD read problems but I think I can get the laser and install it myself. Main question, considering this is almost 20 years old, how does the Analog sound quality compare to high end CD players since then? I will mainly...
  5. efzauner

The kabuki-est speaker I've EVER freakin' seen

Looks like they where made to be hung outside a Huey playing Flight of the Valkyries!
  6. efzauner

Pioneer PL-61 vs. PL-518

The PL518 has better specs on paper, lower wow and flutter and rumble.. But the PL61 if it is with the wood base is like way nicer. I am wondering if the 55 vs 72 dB rumble difference is due to different measurement specs/weighing factor.
  7. efzauner

Advents - Refinish Utility Cabs?

I got a set of those way back as my first speakers! Still have them and also got a pair of the smaller ones. they are in our gym now. Still sound amazing. I do regret not getting the wood finish vs the utility cabinet. They also had a powered biamped electronic crossover version that was...
  8. efzauner

Paralleling two power supplies?

Just a note. have you read the owners manual? The supply has a 50% duty cycle thermal limit. 5 minutes 5 minutes off at full 60 amps. so you may not be able to run this thing full power for long periods.
  9. efzauner

Amp/speaker switch - DIY

Yes lots of possibilities with 3d printers. My son has one... and I have already built a few things,. Not audio related yet but I will probably make something for my SA9500 speaker binding posts.
  10. efzauner

My new Denon DVD-2910 won't play CDs

My DVD2900 has no read problem on some of my CDs. LIberty electronics does have the laser assembly https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OPTICAL-LASER-LENS-PICKUP-for-DENON-DVD-2900-Player/360432530821?hash=item53eb73f585:g:QkMAAOSwT6pVjRB- The service manual is on HiFiEngine and seems to indicate...
  11. efzauner

KLF-10 or Heresy's?

If the Heresys are at a good price, get them and compare! That's the only way you learn what you like and the differences. You can always resell them! I have had Heresys for a long time but only started listening in last 3 years since I built an HT room.. I went thru KLF 20s, Forte 1, Tangent...
  12. efzauner

RSW-10 / RSW-12 / RSW-15 REPAIR BLOG

Great info! thanks for sharing! I have an RSW15 that I just repaired as well. I purchased it used, not working. Replaced a number of the fets and diode and interestingly the previous owner had tried to wind a new L302 from the bash power supply. I rewound one myself and all seems good. The...
  13. efzauner

Alternate dust cover for PL-530

what are you guys doing to align cartridge in headshell? I found no alignment jig like many other TT have. no instructions in manuals. thanks
  14. efzauner

PL-540 Refurb/Rebuild.

very pretty! did you just veneer over the existing base or build a new base from what? MDF? ALso general tonearm question. Is there a sylus/cartridge adjustment gauge? Many TT have a gauge you line up with the headshell and has a groove where the stylus is suppoosed to line up with. For over...
  15. efzauner

WiFi router causing interference

just like you can hear a cell phone RF signal thru your clock radio even when it is off, the RF signal is getting into the analog circutry and being rectified. You are hearing the modulation baseband! Very difficult to get rid of apart from shielding cabling and your receiver... Another...
  16. efzauner

Magnetism question

if you look at the magnet structures the flux focuses in the gap, the pole piece may just be made a bit bigger to compensate for the metal lost due to the hole. I doubt very much putting something in there will make any difference.. Why are you wanting to make a coaxial speaker...
  17. efzauner

Alternative tweeter for original large advents

i blew out my NLA ring tweeters decades ago and called Advent, they recommended and sold me the domes from the 5002s. No mods needed to install. Sound great. I have a pair of replacement ring tweeters that I got on ebay also long ago but never installed them...
  18. efzauner

Is there a way to calculate the damping factor of an amp/receiver, when it's not listed?

and what will you do with this information once you calculate it? Do you like the way the amp sounds now? What difference will knowing the DF make?
  19. efzauner

AC outlet Upgrade

very pretty. may we ask where you got them from?
  20. efzauner

pioneer vsx-1017 & opening her up.

Not worth a battle but I do believe in accuracy and I have no problems being corrected. The brochure does stated Direct Energy and the link explains Direct Energy as Pioneer's version of Class D. The link says "Today, Pioneer incorporated recent innovations in sound tuning and its analog...
  21. efzauner

An understanding in watts consumption

how does it sound on the inverter vs mains? Any more audible noise? I ask because it should not make too much difference. As long as the power transformer passes a few of the harmonics, the bridge rectifyer and caps should clean up the signal. You do realize that on a sine wave, the rectifyer...
  22. efzauner

not sure why you are saying that. The brochures and manual clearly state "Direct Energy" and the link I gave above clearly explains that it is class D. Dunno much more proof you want.
  23. efzauner

yes class D. Pioneer started out in class D by OEMing the B&O Ice power class D. Then developed their own. Their Direct Energy is class D. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/Class+D+Amps+and+Direct+Energy+HD+Amplifiers
  24. efzauner

AC outlet Upgrade

yes thats what I said... so the switch and fuse cut the hot wire from the circuit. But it is only an extra measure. I don`t think non polarized plugs really are a hazard on vintage gear. I would be more worried about a 40 year old power cord degradation.
Back
Top Bottom