Search results

1. R

Show us your Motorcycles

I bought this 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner last May because I wanted a newer bike. It's only 15 years old. My other "big" bike is a 1973 BMW 750. At 1852cc and over 800 pounds, this thing is huge. It does not make much sense for riding around town, it's too heavy, and you can barely use the engine...
  2. R

When was the last time you watched a DVD/Blue Ray movie on a player?

Last night. "Dinner for Schmucks" on DVD. I laughed so hard I had to get up and walk away for a moment on 2 occasions.
  3. R

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I have one of these. I really like it. Apparently it has those Pioneer plugs because Pioneer made it. I have an Pioneer SX-1000TW and the Allied 395 has a very similar layout, but the boards inside are different. I used this as my main receiver for over 6 months and I was quite satisfied with it.
  4. R

My incredible 771

Hi Jim, Sound thru headphone jack only, perhaps (?). It may also be that the output selector switch is dirty and you can only get good contacts on AUX-1 and 2. Just guessing here. Get a can of good contact cleaner, and clean all those switches. Remove the driver board from its slot, and...
  5. R

Pioneer SX-1080 Purchase feedback

Maybe I should not say this....but, why not get that Realistic working properly? That receiver is very highly regarded by those who appreciate what The Shack sold back in the day.
  6. R

Receiver choices

If clarity and power are goals, then a higher-end receiver from the 1990s can work very well, and they can be readily found for very reasonable price. I draw the line on "newness" by only considering units with tone control knobs. I like my Yamaha RX-V850 a lot. I paid $25 for it a couple of...
  7. R

Cleaning the dust.

I'm no expert, but for me, working inside the house, a vacuum cleaner and an upholstery brush gets a lot of the dust out. Follow up with poking with an old artist's paintbrush in tight spots with a crevice tool on the vac. hose. Q-tips with mild detergent/water or window cleaner get the rest...
  8. R

Best low power 20 WPC or less receiver...

Non-Technics and considerably older than what has been mentioned above: Sherwood S-7100A Lots of positivity on this forum about this little receiver.
  9. R

Why upgrade the bulbs in a vintage receiver to LED?

I second the recommendation of dgwojo. He included a spare lamp, solder, and heat shrink tubing in the last set that I bought from him. Very convenient.
  10. R

Found at a local charity thrift store. Needs controls to be cleaned. All incandescent lighting is out. All LEDs work. There's a dunch in the top edge of the cabinet on the left. A few mild abrasions on the front. It needs cleaning. With volume at zero, power-on causes left channel to jump to...
  11. R

SX-950 P/S Help

Your picture in post #8 did not come across. Try using the "Upload a File" button at the lower right.
  12. R

Another "Like I need another receiver" post: Realistic STA-45B (1970-ish) from local charity thrift store. The center meter lamp is out. There is a small scratch in the veneer on the top, and the volume label is worn off the face. Otherwise, the tuner seems to perform well with both meters...
  13. R

Hitachi HA 4700 amplifier for $22 at my local GW. It's got a nice clean sound to it. It's quite compact in that early 80s, low-profile way. It's powering my covid-19 office speakers for now. 50ish w/ch is plenty. My first bit of gear from Hitachi. I like it.
  14. R

Pioneer SX-950 Re-Capping Tuner Board AWE-066

I changed caps and transistors in my 950 tuner during a full rebuild and tuner performance improved noticeably.
  15. R

Receivers 40wpc or Less You Have Loved

Lots of choices for me, starting at the low end: Make Model max. W/Ch Comment Pioneer Sound Project 300: 7 : pretty darned good for 7W, and quite pretty too Realistic STA-430 : 10 : crazy good sound for a near...
  16. R

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Nice cover of Civil Wars cover of Etta James
  17. R

Saved TEAC

I bought a dummy plug, and that allowed the transport to work. I figured out how to get the thing to record, and I have been playing with it for the last hour, recording music videos off Youtube. The right channel appears to be a bit weaker than the left, but I do not know if that is the...
  18. R

"You Don't Know What The Hell Is Going On" Game

Sausage and Cheese dip cooking up now.
  19. R

Air cooled Volkswagen appreciation thread

Cool photo! My Dad bought a 1969 Campmobile brand new. It was the only new car that he ever bought. He drove us around the east coast for vacation, camping all the way, for much of my youth. I remember that Coleman white gas stove too. My parents of course slept on the fold out bed. My older...
  20. R

Can you identify any good coming from the C-Bug shutdown?

I'll start: Many families out on bicycles or walking, spending time together outdoors.
  21. R

Entry level vintage tape deck/recorder for a newbie?

I have a Sony TC-540. It's not working well at the moment (motor speed issue) but it did for a couple of years. It has an integral 10W power amp and built-in speakers for stand-alone use. It also has a pre-amp output for use with a stereo. Its controls are really simple, and I thought that it...
  22. R

Vintage or recent pair of speakers for Pioneer SX-636 Amplifier

I have a set of B&W bookshelf speakers, DM-303 IIRC, as my C-virus teleworking desk speakers. I am no speaker expert, but I think that they are very nice performers, given their compact size. I use them at least 5 days per week. I generally prefer something larger, though, if I have the space...
  23. R

Vintage or recent pair of speakers for Pioneer SX-636 Amplifier

Nice receiver, that 636. I have one too. I really like the mid-market receivers from the olden days. 25 W/ch should be plenty for most speakers. Speakers designs tend to be either 'acoustic suspension' or ported design. The former uses a sealed cabinet, with the trapped air inside serving as a...
  24. R

Teac a3340s no output

:lurk:
Back
Top Bottom