Search results

1. SeniorSteve

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

Feb 3 2016 Email verified
  2. SeniorSteve

60s Console Wormhole — HELP!

To turn the console on for the tuner or changer you have to pull up on the loudness control, if left in the "off" position it will come on when the changer is started (using the RCA changer). In an earlier post just above this one the wire that is dangling is the phono pickup wire, it has a...
  3. SeniorSteve

Direct TV is the spawn of the devil.

I had satellite service when it was USSB. That turned into DirecTV many years ago and I had that for many years, even purchased my own HD DVD receiver from Costco. The fine print is that DirecTV still owned the property. When the hard drive failed in that receiver, the problems started, 3...
  4. SeniorSteve

I'm Coming Out

This has been one of the most uplifting threads I've read in a long time. First is the longevity of the poster's relationship, and then with all of the others that have shared their years together as well. The support here has been overwhelming. Kudos to all that shared, and those that...
  5. SeniorSteve

House wiring question

The original poster says the light at the bottom of the stairs goes out intermittently. Nothing was mentioned about the light at the top of the steps. If in fact the light at the top of the steps is fine, it would rule out the switches as that would affect BOTH lights. The lights have to be...
  6. SeniorSteve

Dial lamp options...

Parts Express recently came out with LED fuse lamps with wires attached. You can get them in warm white or green. Part # 070-144 for the warm white. I've used the ones without the leads for replacements. They say they are for 8 volt systems, but the Sansui 881 I put them in worked great and...
  7. SeniorSteve

Looking for schematic on Reference 650FET r Receiver

A neighbor had this and said it didn't work, so I thought I'd take a look. It's supposed to be one of the first receivers that had MOSFETs for the output transistors. It's from about 1978 and from looking online it looks to be from Pacific Stereo which went under in the mid 80's. The tuner...
  8. SeniorSteve

Anyone have any luck with a cat that stopped eating?

So sad to hear about Ace. It doesn't matter if you are a cat or a dog person, losing a pet still hurts like hell. My condolences on your loss.
  9. SeniorSteve

Is this normal?

Orthophonic, thanks for the clarification. I knew "Feather" was in the description, the top of the tone arm on the changer that I worked on had a feather imprinted on it. My own RCA console is a year older and doesn't have that feature, but it's the same changer. It also has a round RCA logo...
  10. SeniorSteve

Is this normal?

The way to tell if it's too thick is when the tone arm is on the record, the needle won't touch the record or won't fully sit in the groove. Just place the tonearm on a record with the new felt and see that the cartridge retracts a little into the headshell. There is some leeway and with it...
  11. SeniorSteve

Is this normal?

The only reason I know about that "Feathertouch" is I just refurbished a friend's 1964 RCA console with the Studiomatic changer. It had the same design. I think it was the last tube model year, but when recapped and refurbished, it really does sound nice. He is very happy (and so am I).
  12. SeniorSteve

How old are you

63 here and for the most part, doing ok. Don't have to go to the doctors all the time (yet), but the aches and pains have steadily increased. The joys of aging.
  13. SeniorSteve

Is this normal?

In the mid 60's RCA used this method. It was called "Feathertouch" and the tone arm did actually rest on the record. The little black square should have some felt on it so it wouldn't scratch the records. The cartridge "floats" so the only weight placed on the stylus would be the weight of...
  14. SeniorSteve

Solid State Packard Bell, looking for info

That looks to be a mid 60's setup. Had some relatives that had the same tuner/changer combination and it really sounded good from what I remember. The "Solid State" might be partially true, that could be a hybrid model with the tube tuner and the solid state power amp. In any case if you like...
  15. SeniorSteve

Marantz 4430 Quad receiver refurbish

I'm not sure if you are saying you have 36 v at the speaker, but you shouldn't. If there is that much voltage, the protection circuit should have kicked in and removed the amp from the speaker terminals. The schematic and service manual are available from HiFi Engine. If you do get the...
  16. SeniorSteve

Steven Tate has good information. What I do is to go to Digi Key and select a capacitor based on the diameter. Any new capacitor will be more capacity and higher rated voltage for the same size. If I remember correctly, the capacitors are held in place with clamps which makes it easier. Have...
  17. SeniorSteve

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help someone out.
  18. SeniorSteve

Here's another site that may help you on the indicator lights. They are all 6.3 volt 40ma bulbs except for the stereo indicator which is 12v 40ma. The "quad" indicator is a little brighter at 6.3v 180ma. I don't remember that particular item being that much brighter, so I expect you could use...
  19. SeniorSteve

The dial face was glued on the 4430 I worked on - it probably was the double stick tape, but it was really stuck. I didn't dare bend the plastic for fear of cracking it. Instead I went in behind, the bulbs are mounted to a metal shield which was held on by two screws. I ended up removing two...
  20. SeniorSteve

The 4430 I worked on had very dirty and the selector was very intermittent. A couple of treatments with DeOxit cleaner and faderlube seemed to bring them back to good. However the sliders still have some scratchy and intermittent spots. With the limit on funds, and once set they aren't used...
  21. SeniorSteve

I should have stated in my first message that this is not my receiver, I'm working on it for a friend. He said to "make it good" but I know there is a limit on how much he wants to spend on it. The question is where would you draw the line? Thanks everybody, Steve
  22. SeniorSteve

This is my first thread creation, bear with me. I'm working on a Marantz Quadraphonic receiver from the 70's. When it came in the controls were extremely dirty, but after a couple of douses with deoxit contact cleaner, followed by deoxit fader control, they are much better. I get a little bit...
  23. SeniorSteve

Older Toyota Owners.

Thanks 7.62 for the thumbs up on the Avalon. The Camry's were nice and all, but the Avalon is in a different class. I want comfort now that I'm old and tired. Wait, was this thread about older Toyota vehicles, or the people that drive them??? :rflmao:
  24. SeniorSteve

Older Toyota Owners.

I'm on my fourth Toyota. It all started in 1980 when I bought a Corolla 5 speed. Had 198,000 miles on it when I donated it because the gas tank had so many pinholes and I didn't want to replace it. The car ran great though. That was in 1991 when I bought my first brand new car, a v6 Camry...
  25. SeniorSteve

Prayers needed please.

ETLS, Rog and Jan are very fortunate to have you as their neighbor. You are their "On Earth Angel". I do hope that Jan gets better and they can live out a few more years happily. Your story is a heart wrenching one as it shows how much you care about them. There are good people out there...
Back
Top Bottom