Search results

1. J

Dynaudio special forty’s

I have many dyns...I love them. My favorite make. They sound great with anything. But they don’t shine until you give them real power. High quality, clean power. In a smallish room I seriously doubt the special 40 needs a sub. I have smaller focus 110 and have zero want for one. Cheers!
  2. J

New amp or new speakers?

Keep those Focus 110s! You'll regret doing so, trust me. I've got focus 110 and focus 160s - the 110s, in my opinion are the better speaker. There is something very special about the sound. You need a bigger amp and a good sub.
  3. J

ADS L980 Repair

Nice! I scored the same pair last weekend. Not sure what your elacs are like, but as i mentioned in another thread, these 980s hold their own against my dynaudio focus, and they're easier to drive. I've got some rust/corrosion on the bolts holding the drivers in (mids/tweets) and some water...
  4. J

ADS L980 Score

After I left, and on my way home it seemed to me she was getting rid of all her stuff because she needed cash. Older woman. Small townhome. Just going with my gut that she can use a little more money, and i'm happy with spending a little more on these speakers. I'm doing the refurb so that won't...
  5. J

ADS L980 Score

Well the only rule I have in life is to do the right thing! It's pretty simple. I'll post some more listening observations this weekend...but i'll say right now it sound like ADS spent a LOT more time and money producing these than they did the other models I currently have...In fact, until now...
  6. J

ADS L980 Score

Thanks for the input! The link you sent does not offer a manual for download only brochures, pricing list, etc. Anyone know where to get a manual?
  7. J

ADS L980 Score

Yes! My lucky day I’ll post more pics later. So stoked
  8. J

ADS L980 Score

$75 is what i paid for them...an older woman wanted them gone. I'm actually bringing her more money today because I feel bad for taking them at such low price. I've used Richard So before for my L730s. He makes everything perfect and since I got these so cheap I may just send everything out...
  9. J

ADS L980 Score

Grabbed these on the super cheap today. They need work! Would love any tips on cleaning and refurbishing...also would like to set up the crossover for bi-amping if anyone has suggestions. Also - one of the midrange drivers looks really dried out. They sound pretty incredible, though and all...
  10. J

Classic High-End Gear

True. But who decides what is classic and what is vintage? I have a big 1980's yamaha amp, a naim integrated from like 2010 and some ADS speakers from the 70's - all of which I think are classics...and some will call them vintage. The thing that keeps this hobby interesting is subjectivity.
  11. J

Modern integrated amp for a vintage guy?

Might be a good chance to experience Naim...I LOVE yamaha. But when it comes to just forgetting it all and jamming to the music, In my experience, Naim is tops. I recommend you find a used Nait 5i or 5i-2..or shell out a little more for Nait XS. I think you'll be blown away.
  12. J

Which are for you best vintage power amplifiers?

I just bought one of these last week from a trusted ebay seller. It's easily the best amp i've ever had in my system. The little watts gauge was reading 310 watts yesterday into my dynaudio focus 160s playing little wing - zero clipping and could have kept pushing no problem. I've had krell...
  13. J

I was in Target the yesterday and found.......

I did the same with a similar product from a discount store... filled them with old books then flipped them over, put adhesive spikes on the bottom of the speakers and bingo great looking stands zero resonance issues.
  14. J

Richard So ADS L730

L520 is what my dad handed down to me when I was like 14. The day I hooked those up to my hand me down Yamaha integrated, was the day I understood the difference between normal stereo and "hifi". I was so pissed when my mom was spring cleaning and gave those away!
  15. J

Richard So ADS L730

I don't think the tweet rebuild will be as noticeable...but having the mids rebuilt was a significant improvement and well worth the $$. The sound is just much cleaner and the clarity I was missing is all of a sudden there. To me, it's a no brainer.
  16. J

Richard So ADS L730

Had the mids done. They were almost 40 years old, but well taken care of - typical dusty fuzz but nothing too bad. The sound with the rebuilt mids is Night and Day...I was wanting to switch speakers and now I am grateful I held onto these and did the rebuild. Very highly recommended...I'm going...
  17. J

The worst piece of HiFi Equipment you've ever owned?

True...placement, hight quality power are so overlooked, and that's unfortunate. Those are nice, high quality speakers. Their sound is not for everyone. Tight and bright.
  18. J

Marantz SR 8500 DAC vs Dedicated DAC

I recently added a simple old Musical Fidelity VDAC to my system, and it's night and day better than what I was hearing out of my Marantz sr5005.
  19. J

SR5005 DAC vs. Music Hall VDAC

**Musical Fidelity** NOT Music Hall - My bad. No question about it, the external VDAC makes a HUGE difference in the sound. Exposes a huge amount of detail. Takes the proverbial "veil" off the front of the speakers. Separates the voices from the instruments. I was shocked such an old...
  20. J

Best vintage style floor speakers $150-300

ADS. Only because it's the only vintage brand I know and they're awesome even compared to modern speakers I have.
  21. J

Recommended Modern Speakers

I have a pair. Great for $125. Not in the same universe as revel and dynaudio of the same size...but at 1/10th the price, trust they're a good deal. How do these compare to the elac and Dali?
  22. J

ADS vs Paradigm

I I have thought of sending everything to Richard so. But I am wondering if it's worth the $$$. I'm enjoying these thoroughly as they are. Is a Richard So treatment going to make these give me what I'm missing from the dynaudios I had?
  23. J

ADS vs Paradigm

I prefer the sound of the ADS, and I'm going to keep them in place until I get another set of dynaudios or possibly kef ls50. ADS have not been recapped, but they are near mint, and sound like they are functioning properly....don't get me wrong...they're awesome. Just as good as I wanted them to...
  24. J

ADS vs Paradigm

Hello! just purchased some early 80s vintage ADS L730 speakers. Grew up with my dad listening to them and I've always loved the sound. Currently they are replacing some Paradigm Monitor 9s. I have decided to share my observations. My system is as follows imac - squeezebox - musical fidelity...
  25. J

The worst piece of HiFi Equipment you've ever owned?

Not saying they're complete sh*t, but the polk LSi9 speakers I had were pretty poor performers considering what I paid for them new. They were good for movies i guess with the entire LSi system hooked up. When i switched them out with dynaudio focus 110s i instantly realized what audiophile...
Back
Top Bottom