Search results

1. Johncan

What is the sonic difference between an Ortofon OM5E and OM10?

Thanks all! I just bought the Analogis Black Diamond nude elliptical OM for $34.22. https://www.dacapoaudio.com/1739-Ortofon-OM-SERIES-styli.html
  2. Johncan

What is the sonic difference between an Ortofon OM5E and OM10?

What is the sonic difference between an Ortofon OM5E and OM10? The specs look almost identical. Thanks!
  3. Johncan

Rek O Kut R34

I have one that is very rumbly. I need to have the motor cleaned and lubed, Other than that, it is a fun turntable.
  4. Johncan

Ground buzz on all mono cartridges in both channels. None on stereo...help needed.

I had a similar issue. Using the mono button on my McIntosh preamp killed the buzz. For me in my system when I use my mono cart, I also have to engage my mono switch to mono. Not sure why, but it works for me.
  5. Johncan

Rek-O-Kut R34 help needed to remove excess rumble

It is definitely the motor causing the rumble. When I touch one of the screws in its grommet, you can feel all sorts of heavy vibration on that specific screw. The other two screws and grommets are not like this. It causes the deck top and the plinth to vibrate a lot as well. I tried...
  6. Johncan

I am in Smyrna. Maybe I can come to Athens or vice versa and you can help fine tune this thing. I am not handy until I see someone do it first. I have that anxiety that I will really mess it up if I don't have a coach.
  7. Johncan

I got the grommets from Esoteric Sound in August of 2020. They are made for a 0.555 inch (14.1 mm) hole. I also got the belt from Esoteric. I sent Mike pictures of the turntable and he send me the grommets and belt. My speed is stable around 33.3 to 33.4 with a little drift from time to time.
  8. Johncan

What might be causing the heavy vibration with the belt off after the motor has been running for about a minutes?
  9. Johncan

The ball bearing from the well looks good and round. "With the belt removed is the motor relatively quiet?" Yes. It is quieter than with the belt on. I took the platter off and could hear a little motor hum and feel a little vibration from the top of the grommets. I could not feel any...
  10. Johncan

I will check all those things today. Thanks!
  11. Johncan

I have a vintage Rek-O-Kut R34 turntable. It is a belt driven model with a suspended sub-chassis. The underside resembles an AR XA. The tonearm is a Rek-O-Kut S-340 (a modified version of the S-320). It has a Denon DL-102 mono cart. I have re-lubed the spindle, put on a new belt, and changed out...
  12. Johncan

New find: Rek-O-Kut R34 turntable

OK. I have another issue. The turntable just got a lot noisier than usual. You can now hear the turntable spin when the motor is running. I put on a new belt and grommets last year. Should I relube the spindle? I see nothing rubbing. It is also has a lot more rumble than usuall when I drop...
  13. Johncan

CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

My comment of "use at your risk" is based on their own warning label which states "Wearing gloves, wipe thoroughly with a damp cloth or sponge, taking care to avoid contact with skin and eyes. Beware of splashes and drips. If splashed, wash immediately with plenty of water for at least 20...
  14. Johncan

CLEANING VINYL - The AK compendium of fact, fiction and collective wisdom

Caustic soda (NaOH) is highly corrosive and strongly irritating. It can cause severe burns. It has a pH level is 13 to 14 and is alkaline. I would avoid it for cleaning records and stick to something more pH neutral. The warning labels on Mr. Muscles safety data sheet (SDS) has warnings...
  15. Johncan

I figured it out. The tonearm stem sits in a bearing well. That bearing well screw was loose and the tonearm stem dropped down. It was riding too low causing the tonearm not to move. I raised the tonearm and tightened the screw. It works perfectly again!
  16. Johncan

I had the Denon DL-102 cart up and running correctly for a few months. Today, I went to play it and the stylus "sticks" and the record does not advance in the groove. It just stays in an endless loop. The tonearm does not appear to have any obvious resistance when I move it from the front of...
  17. Johncan

He must consider this equipment very reliable...

Other websites have indicated the photos are Photoshopped into the wall.
  18. Johncan

Why? Speaker terminal on McIntosh seem reversed

Why do the speaker terminals on my McIntosh MAC4100 seem reversed. The terminal marked "right" goes out to the right, but when you face the front the of the receiver, it goes out to the left speaker. To have them be "correct" I would need the speaker wires cross over each other. Am I missing...
  19. Johncan

Thank you! I will proceed and maybe get help from a local TT guru.
  20. Johncan

Need help - weird spiral scratch on rare LP

It did not like my bigger stylus carts, but it tracked all the way through on one of my Systemdek IIX with a retipped Dynavector 10X4 MK II. The retipped stylus is a micro ridge nude stylus on a sapphire cantilever from Andy Kim. It does still make a thud noise every time it hits the scratch...
  21. Johncan

Need help - weird spiral scratch on rare LP

I picked up a rare record today that never had a digital release. The LP has a weird spiral scratch that prevents me from playing the last three tracks on side 2. I did see the scratch when I bought the album, but I did not think the scratch would be so bad. It looks like someone dragged the...
  22. Johncan

Thank you. However, neither my turntable (Rek-O-Kut R34) nor tonearm (S-340) are on that list.
  23. Johncan

Neither the turntable nor the tonearm are listed there unless I am missing something. I checked back in July and again yesterday.
  24. Johncan

Do you think the tonearm can handle the 13 gram cart? If so, how adjust it properly?
Back
Top Bottom