Search results

1. Lucky Pierre

JBL 4311B L-pad--how to open?

Greetings, Is it possible to open the l-pads to repair them, or should I just replace? Can anyone direct me to the proper replacement for these? And is the shaft length 3/4" (end of the threads) or 1 1/4"
  2. Lucky Pierre

At what temperature do you solder?

Greetings! Just curious about what temperature you set your soldering stations? I put together an Elekit amp last year. VK sent along a spool of silver solder and suggested it best for the amp. I found out quickly that silver solder is not easy to work with. After some trial and error, I...
  3. Lucky Pierre

12" full range drivers. Relative differences between the different types

Greetings, I have found myself going down the rabbit hole of SET amps and full range drivers. I am curious about the relative pros/cons of the different types. For example, true full rangers (like the Zenith 49csxxx, EV SP12, or other true single cone FR) vs whizzer cone drivers (University...
  4. Lucky Pierre

EV 12TRXB vs SP-12 + T35. I have questions.

Greetings, My living room system is a pair of EV Aristocrats, one with a 12TRXB, the other with an SP-12 + T35 tweeter/horn. I believe that the 12TRXB is basically the same as the SP-12+T35, just as a single driver. They are being driven by an upgraded Elekit TU-8100R, ~8 watt SET amp. I...
  5. Lucky Pierre

Is there an AR XA user manual floating around?

Greetings, I am trying to find the user manual for an AR XA, but there seems to be nothing in the library. Vinylengine has one for download but I cannot register as a new user. Thanks!
  6. Lucky Pierre

Will a Wharfedale Super 12 fit in an EV Aristocrat cabinet?

I have a third Aristocrat cabinet that currently has a SP12B driver. Will a Wharfedale Super 12 fit without modification? I find the SP12B to be a bit dull.
  7. Lucky Pierre

Does anyone use a rechargeable portable CD player?

Greetings, I landed a great new job this summer. Unfortunately, now that school is in session, my commute is usually an hour and forty five minutes each way. I don't listen to commercial radio, and the independent stations aren't cutting it. I have a library of over 800 cds to listen to, so...
  8. Lucky Pierre

Technics SL-D30 no power switch. How to turn on and off?

Greetings, I recently pulled out a Technics SL-D30 that was given to me a couple of years ago. I am prepping this table for my daughter. I did a basic cleaning and fixed the ground, but it still has an interesting issue. When I plug it in, the platter starts spinning. Considering there is...
  9. Lucky Pierre

Technics SL-D30, where do I start?

Greetings, Last year a friend gave me a Technics SL-D30 with Pickering TL-3 cartridge. I am setting it up for our daughter for her new apartment. The system will be the D30, a Schiit Mani phone stage, a SONY DH550 AVR that I gave her a few apartments ago, and a pair of Realistic Nova 7B that...
  10. Lucky Pierre

TV sending amp into protection mode every time I turn it on.

Greetings, Our TV setup is a Sony Bravia TV with a NAD 316BEE amp and AR7 speakers. The only way to connect the TV to the amp is via a headphone jack on the TV, 1/8th inch jack to RCA. There are no RCA audio outputs on the TV. This has worked well for over a year, but starting about two...
  11. Lucky Pierre

Trying to find the right sound via swapping tubes question

I completed yesterday an Elekit TU-8200R. This amp has 12AU7 driver tubes and can use many of the EL34 type tubes--6L6GC (came with the amps), KT-66, -77, -88 etc... It will also run in pentode, triode, or UL. The amp is not in use yet, but will be in the system in the next two days. I plan...
  12. Lucky Pierre

WBT 0800 4% silver solder. What temp for the iron?

Greetings, I am curious about what temp to set the iron for 4% silver solder? A roll was included with a kit amp I just got. Website says 180˚C / 356˚F. Has anyone used this solder? What temp did you find works best for through hole soldering on a circuit board?
  13. Lucky Pierre

Thinking of buying an Elekit TU-8200

Greetings, I am selling my Dynaco MkIIIs and thinking of buying the Elekit TU-8200 with upgraded OPTs. I have pairs of KT-88, EL34, 6550, and it comes with 6l6GCs. I also have a number of used and NOS 12AU7s, including NOS JAN. This amp can be run in triode, pentode, and UL. My question is...
  14. Lucky Pierre

Does anyone recognize this mono amp? Victor SSA-110

Greetings, I picked this amp up from an auction in CA about 3 years ago. I posted about it then, but I thought I would try again to see if any of you fine folk have ever seen another. I can't find anything on the internet. My assumption is that it is an extension mono amp to turn a system...
  15. Lucky Pierre

JBL 116H woofer--what should the resistance be?

A kind AKer has offered a single woofer that I need. Reads ~5.5 ohms.
  16. Lucky Pierre

NPE vs MPP caps in line wiht tweeter. Any difference?

Greetings, I recently finished my Wharfedale open baffle project. Super 12s and Super 3 tweeters. The baffles are based on the JE Labs build, which are based on the original Wharfedale SFBs. I opted to install the tweeters firing forward, rather than up. In line with the tweeters is a 4 uF...
  17. Lucky Pierre

Do you know what annoys me?

Broccoli without stems.
  18. Lucky Pierre

Why would a battery charger mess up FM reception?

Greetings, My garage system is a Sansui 880 with original CSW Ensemble satellite system. The receiver is plugged into the same circuit as two Milwaukee chargers, one an M12, one a combo M12/M18. If there is a battery plugged into the M12/M18 charger, the FM reception goes all to hell. If...
  19. Lucky Pierre

Has anyone opened a Grado SR325 can?

Greetings, I have a broken connection in the left earpiece of my Grados. I assume they are glued and a hair dryer should work to loosen the glue. Any advice? Just heat and (carefully) pry apart? If so, what kind of glue to reassemble? Thanks!
  20. Lucky Pierre

Grado SR325x with a loose wire. How do you open the can?

Greetings, Has anyone opened the cans on Grado headphones? I have a pair of SR325x that are only about a year old. There is a loose connection in the left can. A quick search shows that you can heat them with a hair drier and pull apart? True? If so, what kind of glue to reassemble? Peter
  21. Lucky Pierre

Has anyone put together an Omnixie VFD tube clock kit? I need troubleshooting help

Greetings, My honey gave me an Omnixie VFD-11 tube clock kit. I have the power supply section portion of the kit soldered up, but I am not getting the right voltage at the test points. I could use some help troubleshooting--the instructions and the video are no help. The instructions say TP2...
  22. Lucky Pierre

Value of Marantz stack? Amp, preamp, tuner, cassette

Hi all, Just curious what you all think the value for a VGC Marantz stack might be. Every now and then I get the idea of selling them and buying a new integrated amp. The set consists of a 240 amp, 7T preamp, 150 tuner, and a 5220 cassette deck. All have walnut cabinets other than the tuner...
  23. Lucky Pierre

Gotta recap the crossovers in my Altec 19s. What type of cap?

Greetings, I was trying to avoid it, but I have to recap the crossovers in my relatively newly acquired 19s. What type of caps should I use to keep the original sound of the speakers? PIO, MPP, NPE, other? I usually use metalized polypropylene caps when I rebuild a crossover, but I want to...
  24. Lucky Pierre

Getting laid off again, lining up projects

Greetings, As of December 30 I am laid off again. This will be my sixth layoff in 18 years. While some might say it is nice to have some time off, I am not one of those people. So, I gotta line up projects to keep me busy. On the list are: Recap and refinish a pair of Sansui SP-3500 for a...
  25. Lucky Pierre

Multiple ways to control volume. Which one is best?

Greetings, I listen daily to streamed independent radio stations. Streaming from a tablet with AptX bluetooth to a Cambridge DacMagic 200M, running through a 2 watt spud tube amp. I can control volume from all three. I generally run the amp at 3/4 to full on volume, as well as the DacMagic...
Back
Top Bottom