Search results

1. M

Advice for inexpensive SS amp needed

Hoping someone out there might be able to help. I have very efficient Sachiko single driver speakers. I'm looking for an inexpensive ($300 or less) Solid state amp to drive these. I was looking at some of the SET tube amps but price and my DIY abilities leave me withe very few options. Is there...
  2. M

Tube power or tube TT pre

I am able to build a bit but will need some help:thmbsp: Bottlehead has always been on my radar. Would the paramours have better "payoff" then the BH phono stage? Thanks to all for the imput:music:
  3. M

Tube power or tube TT pre

Hello all I am looking to add some more tubes to the system and wanted to see what might be the best bang for my buck. Tube power amp or tube phono pre Currently running the following DIY Audio note m7 clone preamp (tube) Yamaha m-35 power amp Audio technica AT-PEQ3 phone pre Rega p1 TT...
  4. M

Portable TT tube amp

Wanted to see if there is any value (sound, not$$) to the tube amps in the old portable record players. I came across a portable GE turntable with a tube amp. Turntable isn't much to look at but the tube amp looks to be very clean. Any value in pulling the amp out?
  5. M

Double Mouth Horn / Sachiko

Anyone have any expierence with the Sachiko designed double mouth horn. 8" full range driver (fostex FE206?) I found the design on Frugal Horn and was thinking about giving it a shot. http://frugal-horn.com/spawn.html Design can be found at the above site. Similar design done by...
  6. M

Econowave question

Hello all. I have been going through the econowave threads (lots of em) but have a question for anybody out there in the know. I have a pair of large consol speaker boxes and I am trying to determine if these would be a good fit for the econo treatment. Internal dims are approx 25" x 18.5" x...
  7. M

Speakers to build for my tube amp

I just completed the Fostex rear loaded horn speaker for the FE206E and they sound pretty darn good. Very efficient speaker for tube amps. The build was a bit more involved and detailed then I thought it would be but it was a fun project. Price tag for all material (including drivers) about...
  8. M

Speaker cab build...Wood glue?

Thanks for all of the replies. I am using birch plywood - inside and out. I'm thinking for the internal parts I'll glue and screw. If the fit is tight, I'll only glue to the sides. It will save me the trouble of having to use the wood filler to fill the screw holes on the exposed part of...
  9. M

Speaker cab build...Wood glue?

Well, attempting my first DIY speaker build, Here are the details.... rearloaded fostex FE206e design About 36 cuts per speaker. I am almost done with the saw and have the pieces laid out. Why do I have the feeling that wood glue alone will not be enough to hold this in place? I was thinking...
  10. M

drivers for DIY??? Fostex????

Appreciate the feedback. I am leaning towards the fostex FE-16 speaker kit. Like the idea of having a project to work on as well. Any other suggestions out there please feel free. Thanks again.
  11. M

drivers for DIY??? Fostex????

I am thinking of one of two routes and wanted to check the collected opinions to see what might make more sense.. 1. The Fostex BK-16 kit with fostex FE166 6.5 inch full range driver. Nearly all reviews I've read have been pretty positive. Cabinets can be purchased unassembled for $150 per and...
  12. M

console with ev drivers.

rusomon-mine appear to have the exact same tweeters. They are 16ohm. Pictures attached. I have the original paperwork around somewhere - It includes more details on the 12A. If I can find it I'll post a scan.
  13. M

console with ev drivers.

I have the 12A also. Original to an old consol. Mine were purchased new in 1966 by my father in law. Had one issue with a slight tear in the surround but was pretty easy to fix. The only speaker that I've had that I liked better was my Cornwals. Great sounding speaker that I will never part...
  14. M

what are these?

Similar to mine...Could be almost anything in there. Mine have Electrovoice 12A. When purchased (by my father) he had the option of what componants to put in the cabinets. He could have gone the Altec route but opted for EV. Mine sound great. Depending on the price should be worth a look.
  15. M

New Speaker Recomendations

Hello to all, I am hoping some of you might be able to recommend a good pair of new speakers. I have never bought a set of new speakers and would like to do so. The wife seems to be up for it as these would replace some big bulky boxes/panels. The wife likes the idea of a smaler footprint as...
  16. M

Winner Crowned In World's Largest Drum Competition

those drums didn't look all that big
  17. M

Most Under Rated Rock Guitarist?

+1 for Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) Also some underappreciated guitars out there Buddy Guy (underrated?) Ronnie Baker Brooks Derick Trucks (Allman Bros) Taj Mahal Steve Winwood
  18. M

Magnepan MMG repair???

Hello all. I am going to look at a pair of Magnepan MMG that I am told might have a slight problem (I hope slight) At low volume the speakers sound good. I am told at higher volumes one speaker becomes distorted. Any idea what might cause this? The seller has only tested using a Marantz...
  19. M

Magnepan question

Hello all, Just looking to get into the planar side of things. Found a pair of Magnepan MGMC1. From what I was able to find these are primarily used as surround or main in a surround set up. Anyone familiar with this model? I am looking for strictly 2 channel set up for my stereo so don't...
  20. M

EV 12-A speaker repair?????

Hello all I have a nice pair of EV 12-A Triaxial Speakers and found a good size rip in one of the woofers. The tear is from near the base to the surround. Can this be fixed? I did a search but couldn't find much on the web. I really hope I can salvage these speakers. Any suggestions...
  21. M

Issue with ST70....Please help

I was able to pull the plug as soon as it started heating. Hopefully I havn't damaged the tubes. I'll take a look at the bias. Tks, Mike
  22. M

Issue with ST70....Please help

Hello all, Have an issue with my Dynaco ST70. One out put tube (EL34) on left channel burns bright. By bright I mean runs red and throws off alot of heat. Clearly noticable vs the other three tubes. I thought it was the tube but swapped the tubes and same issue. Could this be the bias...
  23. M

Tube suggestion for ST70

Hello all Just blew a tube on my Dynaco ST70 (Electro Harmonex EL34) and looking for any suggestions on a quad for replacing. The quad of EH are the only tubes I've had in play so not sure what might be a good fit. Had the EH running for nearly a couple years and the sound was very good but...
  24. M

SS power amp for cornwalls

Thanks for all of the input. Did some looking at the Forte Model 1 and 4. The reviews are good. I think I might have to see what can be had. Thanks again
  25. M

SS power amp for cornwalls

I've had the cornwalls for about a year. They sound great and are in great condition. Don't know if I'll ever look for anything else.
Back
Top Bottom