Search results

1. P

I want a preamp that sounds like this...

I really enjoyed Audio Research preamps, until I tried a First Audio Presence Deluxe. Nothing else has really come close. I don’t buy preamps anymore, just rotate other parts. All the detail, zero listener fatigue, separation, soundstage, no audiophile clinical sound, and real bass. They make...
  2. P

Best Audiophile Christmas Gifts...

So, my wife loves me and is always looking for what to give me for Christmas that relates to audio. However, she is sometimes reserved because she doesn't know whether it is something I'll approve of due to the seemingly picky nature of the hobby. I have a feeling other people may have a...
  3. P

Vincent SV 236 MK - curious compared to Denon PMA 2000

I own both. I feel as if both are legendary units. Both are excellent units and my reference amps along with a pair of Sony TA-N77es I run as monoblocks. They are different beasts, the Vincent is much more powerful although the Denon is no slouch. The Denon PMA 2000 has one of the best phono...
  4. P

Hi from Marin County/SF Bay area

Welcome, lots of members here from the Bay Area.
  5. P

What the heck are these?

Thanks for the help friends. Definitely as suspected, it was done by an electrical engineer who owned these before me. He did do a clean job. They look super smooth.
  6. P

What the heck are these?

I got these with a recent purchase which included Kappa 8’s and a center channel. They say Kappa 6 but doesn’t a 6 have more drivers? A little help and background anyone.
  7. P

Drop in replacement for 044ti?

Hey ladies and gents, Moving to a new place and my middle school kiddo wants a setup for his new room. I have a pair of JBL 120ti without tweeters which I’d love to find a replacement driver for, and while the 044ti is a mighty fine unit, it also goes for quite a bit. Any suggestions?
  8. P

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Thank you, thank you!!! It was an amazing adventure to get these and I’m shocked it worked out. From driving from San Francisco to Sacramento twice after an initial missed connection, adding up to a good 11 hours of driving, weathering sniping attempts from under me by people offering more. To...
  9. P

What's your latest audio purchase?

Thanks, I’ve always wanted a big metered amp. To get these than can be ran as mono amps it’s just a real treat.
  10. P

What's your latest audio purchase?

Adopted these twin babies last night. A pair of Sony TA-N77ES amps.
  11. P

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

Got these two amps last night. Pretty stoked! The meters work and so do the amps. Just need to replace the bulbs and find a couple knobs for one of them.
  12. P

Barn Find Scott LK-150

I posted all the original building docs and service bulletin to the AK database less than a year ago. Some heat resistant black paint on those transformers, remove those numbers and you’re in business.
  13. P

Barn Find Scott LK-150

Cool amp. But wrong tubes, missing knob, maybe inscribed numbers in the front and who knows about the transformers. Still a cool project.
  14. P

Aerial 10t? Value help please.

I’ve seen a pair locally listed for $2000 for over a year. A pair listed for $1500 sell in about 4 months. I’m guessing without mids and highs, maybe $500 for both to the right person, but I wouldn’t imagine there’d be a huge market.
  15. P

Linn LP12 with Basik Plus arm, what cartridge?

Hey ladies and gents, I’d like to upgrade my cart as my K5 is a bit tired. Any suggestions, I’d love to keep it low price wise as times are tight. Prefer $200, $300 tops. Thanks!
  16. P

Worth the work? Or nah? JBL L-200 find.

Yes there was a mess, but cabs are gone. I’m already over the guy making a mess. I swept and then threw a bunch of PineSol buckets all over the sidewalk where I swept. Hantavirus was one of my concerns. But bleaching stuff is not that great for humans either, though it does kill the bacteria...
  17. P

Thanks, some people ruin it for the rest.
  18. P

And proof that all good deeds do go punished, I made an ad to give them away. Guy responds. I specifically say to take them home and clean them. Carry them down and leave them out for him so we could go out. I come back and he dumped everything in front of our house. I have video and can see...
  19. P

Well, thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will absolutely keep it all in mind if something slightly less intense comes around next time. After assessing damage (missing edges, water damage, burnt top and worst of all the amount of biohazard) I decided to pass them on. If no kiddos, maybe a...
  20. P

Well, I was super excited about making this a project but I think the inside is beyond salvaging for inside our home. I removed the LE15b’s and wherever these were, they were a rat’s nest and the inside is ghastly. Trying to spare the graphic details but the acoustic material is all chewed up...
  21. P

I was thinking of -Repainting the baffle and base. -Removing the tweeter. -Sand, restore-a-finish and then polyurethane cabs -Cleaning off and covering the missing bottom edge so it looks even. -Reconing the drivers. That’s still a lot of work...
  22. P

Hey y’all, Came across these yesterday, they need a LOT of work. I’m looking at them and trying to decide whether they are a cool project or a parts unit. Opinions?
  23. P

Hi from San Jose, CA

Welcome! Always good to see AK’ers in the Bay.
  24. P

Hi

Welcome, cool sign!
  25. P

Removing paint smears from speaker cabinet?

I saw those, they were a good deal. Glad they found a good home.
Back
Top Bottom