Search results

1. V

Denon DL-110 MC Phono Cartridge Questions

One characteristic that blows me away is how surface noise is nearly nonexistent. My records are very well kept and vacuum cleaned before play but were still a bit noisy with other cartridges. This level of quiet is magic. Every aspect of the sound is excellent. I'm buying a back up!
  2. V

Wow that's very interesting. I love it and it keeps getting better! I probably have 25 hours on it. You can't beat it for the price - I actually got mine imported for $185 and that's a steal. Even at the full price (double) I would get another.
  3. V

Same here. Replaced a Benz Glider and not feeling any let down.
  4. V

A couple of months in on mine and it sounds even better. With proper cleaning, my records have never been so quiet. I love this cartridge and even though I only paid $185, I'd consider it even if my budget was over $500.
  5. V

Denon DL-110 Owners: How's your bottom?

I'm early on in my first 110 and I'm planning to get a back up. It's that good in my setup.
  6. V

I am only five hours in on a new 110 without the plate (forgot to install and didn't want to redo it) and I'm thrilled with it. If it gets any better I might pick up a back up! At $185 that I paid it's a flat out steal. I'm using it on a Rega RB300 with upgraded wiring and Expressimo...
  7. V

headshell weight (better with or without?)

I just tried it on my Rega RB300 Denon103. I added 3 grams of Blue Tack to the head shell as an experiment. I noticed better sound in almost every parameter. Of course I rebalanced and reset tracking force. I'm thinking I'll get a Isokinetik stabilizer just for this cartridge.
  8. V

Too much gain in system - need suggestions

The resistors helped quite a bit. CD now operates over a much larger range resulting in better sound and more precise volume adjustments. The phono also is better of course and the 2M Red is now usable but far from ideal. I'm going to put the Denon 103 back in and reevaluate. The attenuators do...
  9. V

Peach tree Nova 150 reviews?

I'm am very close to pulling the trigger on a 150. I'd like to hear more about the phono stage.
  10. V

Need a clear upgrade path

i have a few nice components but there is no synergy. I have a large record collection so obviously needed a decent turntable. I think I do have one in the Basis 1400 and an Origin Live reworked Rega RB 300. Cartridge is up in the air because of a gain issue throughout the system. I have an...
  11. V

I'm having issues with my SP9 3. The gain is very high, even with the CD gain reduction. Quite frustrating. My phono cartridge choices are very limited by this preamp.
  12. V

I've thought seriously about that solution lately. What did you end up getting?
  13. V

I'm going this route also. Look forward to reading your results.
  14. V

Phono cartridge matching please help

I tried a CD player on the CD input and I couldn't get past 12 noon. Forget trying it in another line input. It was unbearably loud. But once the overall gain is reduced with an attenuator, I'm hoping all sources will fall between 9-3 o'clock. At least I have a choice of inputs for CD, one with...
  15. V

I don't have a lot of space behind the Odyssey amp, as it's quite deep and I've got thick input cables bending right near the wall. Would I be able to place the "source" resistors at the preamp main outs instead of at the inputs of the amp?
  16. V

Ok that's what I'm going to do. I have a CD player and it seemed a bit too low. I steam Spotify from iPhone via Bluetooth so that volume is infinitely asjustable. Last night I switched out the Perreauxfor the Odyssey Stratos in Khartago. I read a thread in AudioCircle discussing excess gain...
  17. V

Ok, I'm willing to give your products a try. You suggest -20 standard attenuators based on all we've discussed. As I understand it, they will bring the gain down for the entire system. This is preferable than just reducing the phono with the other type. I should notice more usable gain and...
  18. V

So are you saying that in searching for a cartridge, the output voltage should calculate near to 68 in the KAB calculator, since the gain of the phono plus line stage is effectively 68? What were they thinking with this arrangement? It's so limiting. Is that how it works in all preamps? 48bd...
  19. V

I agree with you, it would be a shame to not use the phono section. If I did get the attenuators, I should be good to go with nearly any MM cartridge? And would they be necessary with the Denon 110?
  20. V

I might pick up a Schitt Mani just to see how having four gain choices could open the field of possible cartridges up. I'm also considering the Rothwell attenuators. And the DL110.
  21. V

I just opened the bottom panel to see the turret terminals. It appears something was done. According to the manual there are two 560 picofarrad capacitors on the impedance loading pegs. It states these should not be removed when using moving coil cartridges. What has been wired in parallel with...
  22. V

I know this is a moving coil, but would the Hana EH at 2mv be an option? That would require 44dB gain from the phono stage according to the KAB
  23. V

Here are the specs for the Perreaux 3150 amp. Can we detemine the input sensitivity from this?
  24. V

So when using the KAB calculator, I'm looking for something that results in 46 rather than 67dB, assuming the gain in the AR hasn't been altered?
  25. V

Yes the Red is absolutely too much. Thanks for your reply. I'm not locked into the Denon, I know it's not the best match for either the arm or preamp. As I said I tried a 2M red which at 5mv was way too high. So I'd love to try a moving magnet but it seems you are all saying it would have to...
Back
Top Bottom