Search results

1. D

Perpetuum Ebner REX A-4 Turntable / Changer Issues

Hey @gadget73, you seem pretty knowledgable about these these tables, but are you sure about the terminology here? I'm fairly sure that with for example airplanes and helicopters the part that spins is called the rotor. You'd think that the rotor rotates and the stator is stationary. Of course I...
  2. D

easy DIY line level low pass filter?

Hey there, You might want to check out this page: http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html Worked well enough for me in the past, though I've since switched to active.
  3. D

Most musical, accurate detailed subwoofer for under $800?

It's right at the top right corner of the heatsink, in the crown symbol. Took me a few moments to notice it. It's just a 0-180 degrees switch though, not continuously variable. Still, almost certainly, in any particular setup and listening position one switch position will sound better.
  4. D

"Say Hello! to my new little friend"

Hello all, After reading one of Poultrygeist's endorsements in another thread, I also got the Sainsmart version of the Guanzo pre-amp. I'd never had or heard tube sound, outside of guitar amps and this seemed like a good, affordable way to get some idea of what the fuzz was all about. I'm quite...
  5. D

Rob's OBLA-33 (Open Baffle Line Array) project.

Sounds like a great project. My only suggestion is you include the fact that it's a dipole in the name: Open Baffle Line Array Dipole, OBLADI :P
  6. D

amplitude of a harmonic?

Concerning determining the directionionality of low frequencies by their overtones: another thing to keep in mind is that while the harmonics might well be considerably lower in amplitude, the ear is more sensitive to these higher frequencies than to the fundamental. Therefore they don't need to...
  7. D

Stoopid question....

Hey there, I dont't want to threadjack, but this remark piqued my curiosity. I've never heard of big caps lasting longer than smaller ones. Would you maybe elaborate on this? TIA
  8. D

Confused about wattage...

I just looked at my old caps. It says ELCAP on the side, which is the brand, and presumably derived from ELectrolytic CAP. But I guess yours don't say that, since it wasn't included in the markings you posted?
  9. D

Confused about wattage...

They look very similar to the original caps in my Wharfedales and KEFs, which were definitely electrolytics.
  10. D

KEF T27 Repair?

Hey there, those are fragile tweeters. I've managed to repair a few for my KEF Calindas. One failed again shortly afterwards, the others seem to be holding up. In any case, the lower resistance indicates that rather than a break in the voice coil (failing open), some turns in the voice coil are...
  11. D

KEF Cresta One Speakers

That's right, the original Cresta's are from the late sixties, the Cresta 1's are a nineties speaker that reuse the name: http://www.kef.com/html/en/explore/about_kef/museum/1990s/Cresta1_Cresta2_Cresta3_C/index.html I've got the sixties version; unfortunately someone replaced the B110 in...
  12. D

KEF B139 SUBWOOFER Voice Coil Wire Broke

Well, I'd say it depends on your soldering equipment and skills. Theoretically it would be best to reconnect it where it broke, but it's a very delicate job. I've managed to repair a voice coil break like that a few times, after much effort and cursing. Mind you, I'm most definitely not a steady...
  13. D

Reason for clipping

That makes all sorts of sense House de Kris, thanks for the explanation.
  14. D

Reason for clipping

If I understand correctly, the smaller amp in this example starts clipping when outputting 30 W and the bigger amp is limited to that same amount because of #1 and #2? Wouldn't the total power delivered be 60 W then, because the bigger amp is also outputting 30 W? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this.
  15. D

FMods Question

Glad it worked out for you, sounds like you got it dialed in pretty easily! BTW, it's quite normal to still hear some higher freqs with just the sub playing. The level is probably negligible compared to what the mains are doing at those freqs, so it doesn't interfere with anything.
  16. D

FMods Question

Well, the impedance and attenuation thing is an advantage of active line level over passive line level like the Fmods, I'd say. The advantage of crossing over at line level instead of speaker level (post-amp), is that at the higher voltages and currents involved at speaker level, parts like...
  17. D

FMods Question

So are the Fmods just a prepackaged line level passive xover? If that's the case I would definitely not recommend stacking them. I once made some line level xo's myself, using the information and formulas on this page: http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/filters/passiveHLxo.html I made 12 and 18...
  18. D

FMods Question

How about stacking between two cables? amp->RCA->Fmod->Fmod->RCA->sub In this way, the Fmods would dangle in the middle, not weighing down your sub input, or taking up extra space on your bench. You could dangle them somewhere out of sight.
  19. D

Need pointers on first sub build

Yes, if you enter too many parameters, they start conflicting with each other. The program calculates some parameters from others and comes up with different values than the published specs. Might be from rounding errors or differences between derived and measured values, I guess? In any case...
  20. D

Need pointers on first sub build

I'm hardly an expert, but I used WinLSD (freeware) to model drivers when I was building my subs (in my case I already had two 60 l cabs on hand, so I was looking for drivers that would work well in that enclosure volume). I was looking for deep bass, with decent output below 25 Hz. A resonant...
  21. D

Elements of Style

Whoops! I meant punctuation; no idea where I got interpunction from. What I meant was: are smileys or emoticons considered part of a sentence? Should you place them before or after a full stop, or question mark as the case may be:saywhat:?:scratch2:
  22. D

Elements of Style

I've always found the substitution of dampening for damping amusing. I can't believe how many people here think it's a good thing to keep their equipment moist :sigh:. PS: That reminds me; are there any rules regarding smileys and interpunction?
  23. D

KEF 104ab's seem quiet?

Might just be that the KEFs are less efficient than the Polks?
  24. D

The Dutch corner - For anything regarding the Netherlands

Heineken Zero. Never really saw the point of it TBH. Heineken is a fairly bland beer anyway; cooled almost to freezing it doesn't really taste much like anything anymore. Admittedly, the frosted over tap does look cool (no pun intended).
  25. D

What's "high current"

Like 89grand, I also don't know where that plot came from. It could be two woofers in an enclosure. A plot with two impedance peaks could also mean it's one woofer in a ported enclosure. The lower peak around 30 Hz represents the tuning frequency of the port.
Back
Top Bottom