Search results

1. V

Wtd: Warm Sounding Receiver

I didn't get very far. I ended up with an Sx-1010, Klipsch Forte Speakers, and a Technics SL-1200.
  2. V

Multichamp12 has the vinyl that you want

I bought some Japanese releases from Ethan and they were both very high quality records. They were shipped quickly and securely. Highly recommended seller.
  3. V

Question about Step up transformer and Phono Stage

I am still new to the hobby and am trying to understand Step up transformers and phono stages. I just purchased an Audio Technica At-33a low output cartridge. I am currently using a Lehman Audio Black Cube SE II phono stage. Because the cartridge is a low output, will I need a step up...
  4. V

Technics SL1700 vs 1200mk2

I have an SL-1700 with an Ortofon Bronze. It sounds good, but I am always looking for better. I thought about upgrading the cartridge but I am thinking that if I go to anything above the bronze that I should upgrade the table as well. Has anyone out there upgraded from the 1700 to the 1200? Will...
  5. V

HH Scott Receiver good choice for newbie?

Does the 299 have a phono stage in it? If so, is it any good? I can't find anything about it online.
  6. V

Less complexity. Sounds like a good idea when dealing with 50+ year old equipment. I think I will narrow my search to 299 series Scott amps. Thanks.
  7. V

I am thinking of getting into the world of tubes. I was looking at an HH Scott 340B. It looks like others have praised this unit in other threads and it looks like they are a little cheaper than the Fisher units. I see one on that auction site that states that it has been recapped. Any thoughts...
  8. V

vice1984 Vinyl!

You're welcome. Enjoy!
  9. V

Barter Thread

I like the idea of the record cleaning as credit. I have an Audio Desk ultrasonic cleaner that I would love to be able to use to lower the cost of purchasing records. I agree that it could work like the Karma thread.
  10. V

Anyone have a vinyl flattener?

No, they were both sealed copies from the late 80's and early 90's. I should have known better, I have run into this problem with other albums from those years, but they were common records that were easily replaced. These two were harder to find and pressed outside the U.S.
  11. V

Anyone have a vinyl flattener?

I have a few records that I bought sealed that are warped. They are just rare enough that it might be cheaper for me to pay someone to flatten them than to try to find new copies. If anyone has a flattener, please let me know. Thanks.
  12. V

Looking for Cartridge Recommendation for Technics SL-1700

Thanks everyone for all your help. I went with the Ortofon Bronze and boy is it sweet sounding. I'm hearing things in songs that I never heard before.
  13. V

Can anyone name this cold war 80's spying documentary?

I checked that one out and its not the one that I was looking for. It does cover a lot of the spying stuff that I'm into though. Thanks.
  14. V

Thanks, I'll check that out.
  15. V

Yeah, I don't remember the specifics, I just remember something about a prism inside the glass at the soviet embassy in Washington. I remember them saying that when the soviets discovered the prism, they couldn't figure out why it was even in there.
  16. V

I hope this is the proper place for this question, if not, let me know. I am looking for the name of a cold war documentary that I saw in the late 90's or early 2000's. I think it was on the History Channel, A&E, or Discovery. It highlighted the techniques that the U.S and Soviet Union used in...
  17. V

Did you have to add any weight to the headshell on your Technics? I was looking at the Bronze on Turntableneedles site and it says something about using an auxiliary weight on Technics tables.
  18. V

Thanks, that's good to know. Most of my vinyl is very good +, but not pristine. It also sounds like the opinion is that the black is too much cart for a 1700. It seems like the bronze may be the best choice for me.
  19. V

I was actually considering the Nagoaka MP-300 until I saw an article on analog planet where Michael Fremer reviewed and polled readers on 9 cartridges and the Orotofon Black finished 2nd behind an Audio Technica 150ANV. The MP-300 finished 3rd. I have been busy chasing that perfect sound now for...
  20. V

I sold some gear and have upped my budget up to $700. I think I am now leaning towards an Ortofon, either a bronze, or maybe a black. My only question is about noise. Most of my vinyl is vg+ and ultrasonically cleaned, but most of it is from the 70's and 80's. Is the ortofon so detailed that it...
  21. V

Are you sure? I saw a few AK users recommend the Denon 110 for the SL-1700 in an older thread.
  22. V

I have always used the Shure with the brush up.
  23. V

I am thinking about a Denon DL-110. Can anyone offer me any other choices? I currently have a Shure M97Xe with an Lp Gear vividline stylus. It sounds nice, but doesn't have the detail that I had on a Shure V15 type III that I have on another table. I am willing to spend up to $400. I figure it...
  24. V

Technics SL-1700 Rumble problem

I have a noticeable rumble issue with this player, you can see the woofers moving in between tracks. I am running a Shure V15 type III with a Jico Sas. I even installed the cartridge on my other table, a Pioneer PL-71 and that table has no rumble with the Shure. The table is sitting on a wall...
  25. V

New club member, A few questions about my Forte II's

Thanks for the tips. Now that I look at the cone, it almost looks like a cat was scratching at it, I'll try the wood glue and see how it does.
Back
Top Bottom