Search results

1. Brad6260

Help incorporating an 8 track into my system ?

For nostalgic purposes I would like to add a vintage 8 track player into my current set up. My question is can I use the RCA connects on the Craig unit pictured and marked as "speakers" as inputs into my pre amp Tape 2 position pictured as well ? Appreciate opinions.
  2. Brad6260

Sequential Power Conditioners? Worthwhile for mid-fi system?

So after brain picking/boring many on this forum and others I have finally assembled my poor man's system. Acurus A 150 amp, Bryston 11b Pre. While considering which switched vs non switched plugs to use off the preamp I started reading up on power conditioners with sequential power up/down...
  3. Brad6260

Just how dramatic is the gap between the C2/M2 and C4/M4 ?

Looking to make a jump up from my CR 820. Like to the go the separate route. I can only afford a C2a and M4 or an M2 and C4. Sad but true. KEF Q 90 speakers. Opinions? Thanks
  4. Brad6260

Older Threshold amp- What to have the techs check out?

Hoping to get my hands on a Threshold S/150 soon. Will be my first separate and I will not have much history on it other than it's "operating properly". My question is other than a general clean up and look over by a good local tech are there things specific to this amp or amps like this that I...
  5. Brad6260

C 2 as a budget preamp or better options ?

Newbie entering into the separates for first time and need a budget preamp with a terrific phono section to mate with a M4 amp. Reading reviews of the C2 everyone quickly goes to the C2a model as far better but it's way beyond my meager $300-400 budget. So my question is in my budget range...
  6. Brad6260

Yam AS -1000 vs AS 701 ? Opinions please.

Looking to upgrade from my terrific CR 820 and have been eying a minty A-S1000. In looking at the current lineup the AS 701 appears to offer about the same unit power. Curious to hear from those smarter than I how the two compare? Pro's and Cons ? Use is 75% vinyl, 25 digital, medium room size...
  7. Brad6260

AMP w/Pre AMP or Integrated Amp route? best sound value ?

Thanks for re-visiting a topic I know has been debated for a long time. Looking to begin my steps building my "next level" system. To begin with I currently have : Yamaha cr-820 Receiver, Q90 KEF's, Pioneer pl518 table w/Sumiko cart. It sound great for what it is but I would like to start a...
  8. Brad6260

Anyone know of this online retailer? "Sale Stores" of Dania Fla ?

In looking around for good prices on a new Integrated Amp I ran across these guys selling "new" Yamaha gear at prices well below the better known online sellers like Music Direct, Amazon sellers etc. By appearances they are a legit established company but I'm sure Bernie Madoff seemed like a...
  9. Brad6260

Still crummy FM reception- External FM antenna options for my vintage receiver?

I like having the radio on for daily background music but need a plan "B" how to get decent signal reception on my vintage Yamaha CR-820 receiver. I live in a somewhat rural area but get ok reception on other radios to my fm stations. My plan "A" was adding a cheap TERK Indoor FM Antenna but it...
  10. Brad6260

Sound quality differences from mid to "upper mid" level tables?

I use the term Mid to upper level just as some term of reference. I realize to some that could mean from $10,000 to $30,000 but not me. Among others both vintage and new, I am looking at non DJ used Technics SL 1200MK2's that hopefully I could find in my sub $700.00 budget. I currently have a...
  11. Brad6260

When is a phono pre-amp justified ?

For self serving applications I am referring to adding budget phono pre amps to entry or mid level systems. Example: I have a Yamaha CR-820 receiver which is supposed to have a pretty decent phono pre amp section. In reading up it appears worthwhile add on units can be bought pretty cheap say...
  12. Brad6260

KEF Q90 feet missing. What are my options?

Picked up a real nice pair of Q90's a few months ago and am real impressed with them but they are missing the factory threaded rubber feet. My first thought to replace them is simple stick on half moon sorbathane rubber ball feet but I didn't know if anyone knew if there were any aftermarket...
  13. Brad6260

Bluetooth streaming availability from both new and vintage Receivers?

My long in the tooth but old favorite CR 820 Yamaha is still plugging along fine and is 80% used with vinyl but I really like the idea of having bluetooth capability as well via my Iphone. First am I correct that the Bluetooth receiver adapters cannot work on the old Yamaha ? Assuming that is...
  14. Brad6260

Loosing half my channels mid play from turntable ?

Seems like one step forward two back these days ? Pl 518 Pioneer table into my vintage Yam CR 820 Receiver. Mid play on an album I lost half my speakers. Only happening on turntable play. Still get tuner and digital input play fine and on both channels. Odd thing is when one side goes out with...
  15. Brad6260

Extending the length of my tables cord connections ?

Another question from the land of Neophyte gang. I need a length of about 8 feet or so to get my pl 518 table to it's desired location. The power cord of course is no issue with a simple extension cord but I'm looking for the easiest /cheapest way to extend the output cord with RCA connections...
  16. Brad6260

Adding a subwoofer into a vintage receiver set up. any concerns?

The Audiokarma brotherhood previously walked me thru how to incorporate a subwoofer into my vintage system. I am curious if doing so puts so puts much of an additional strain on my receiver? In my case it's a CR 820 55 wpc Yamaha. My speakers are fairly efficient so no heavy load there. Any...
  17. Brad6260

Do headshells and tonearms breakdown over time?

Not real thrilled over the sound quality I am getting out of my table. Just seems a bit lifeless and flat. In researching how to get the most out of my modest but reliable old 70's era Pioneer pl 518 (w/ Grado XT+) most all forum responses aim at stylus/cartridge upgrades.This makes sense and...
  18. Brad6260

How to determine one's upgrade priorities ?

While a pretty basic question I know everyone at some point has sat back and thought what upgrade would gain the biggest sound quality improvement in their system and for those like me that don't have a trust fund, rich uncle or winning lottery ticket where is my limited budget best spent for...
  19. Brad6260

Why do my B&W's sound so lousy on my Yam CR-820 ?

So my vintage CR-820 Yamaha is rated around 55-60 Watts per. The 600i B&W's I picked up just sound flat and lifeless on it. However when I put the 600i's on my old 25 watt workshop JVC crap unit they come to life. Thoughts ? Thanks Gang.
  20. Brad6260

CR 820 - Looses phono channel ? Help please!

I'll be listening to a turntable selection and all of the sudden I lose one side of my speakers. Or I'll start out and don't have one channel side at all. Always the same side. Both channels and all speakers work fine when put in mono mode but I lose the channel when switch to stereo. Aux input...
  21. Brad6260

What's my weakest component in my current system to replace first ?

Current set up. Yamaha CR-820 Receiver Yamaha P-200 Turntable with a Pickering TL 3 P mount cartridge. 3 sets of speakers. Currently connected are Yamaha NS 20T and Pioneer SP-BS22-LR pairs. I also have a pair of B&W 600i's but for some reason I cannot get decent bass from them and they seem...
  22. Brad6260

Signs your speakers are showing wear ?

So as I look at reconnecting to a decent vintage set up (Advent 5002,JBL ballpark) I am curious how much natural degradation of sound quality comes with age, normal wear and tear, and from vintage speakers that may have been rode hard and seen lots of use but are still desirable in the vintage...
  23. Brad6260

Why Advents worked well stacked ?

I'm curious why the old large Advents have always had such great reputation when stacked and yet you rarely hear of other well thought of like designs of the era doing the same. I AM IN NO WAY comparing the two but I have always considered my little Yamaha NS-20t's as fantastic sounding small...
Back
Top Bottom