Search results

1. BassKulcha

Old vinyl quality nostalgia

That’s a 1970’s reissue, but there were definitely issues with vinyl back in the day. A sad case in point is the “Prestige hiss” when they supposedly would recycle and reuse already-pressed vinyl—paper labels and all—for newer pressings. The paper inclusion creates a low hiss throughout the...
  2. BassKulcha

Mellow Tone Kits: Anyone Have Experience with their Tube Amp/Preamps?

Any thoughts on the use of a switched mode power supply? I thought they were supposed to be really noisy and needed to stay away from anything audio that could pick up noise. Apparently, they were able to design the preamp so the SMPS would be far enough away. Are there any drawbacks to using A...
  3. BassKulcha

Yep I heard that, but I figured people more knowledgeable than me would either confirm that it’s good or go into detail about why it’s *not* better than vintage transformers, etc…
  4. BassKulcha

Interesting, why do you say that?
  5. BassKulcha

I've been watching many of the Mellow Tone Kit build videos on YouTube and find them to be excellent repositories of information for people, like myself, who know just enough about Tube amp topologies to get into trouble, but not enough to really feel comfortable with building (or fully...
  6. BassKulcha

My first Fisher amp that was not a Receiver or Integrated amp.

Sounds Great! Congrats—
  7. BassKulcha

Listening room goodies from Chelsea Flea M in NYC

Fernando has been there forever—I’ve gotten some great stuff from him over the years. Sounds like it might be him. Glad you found some treasures—it’s a crap shoot there, though. Most of the time you leave with nothing but an annoyance at how much junk costs in NYC these days lol
  8. BassKulcha

Listening room goodies from Chelsea Flea M in NYC

Nice! Were these from Fernando?
  9. BassKulcha

RIP Terry DeWick

So sorry to hear. RIP, Terry—
  10. BassKulcha

What is the Model Name of these Sonus Faber Speakers?

Found it: Concerto Home. The leather wrap was the key word... Are they any good? The price doesn't seem to reach the nose-bleed heights of other Sonus Faber's, but I might have a line on them. Seems they are pretty power-hungry and won't play nice with my medium-ish wattage tube amps though...
  11. BassKulcha

What is the Model Name of these Sonus Faber Speakers?

My Google Fu is weak today. Anyone know the model name of these Sonus Faber Speakers?
  12. BassKulcha

Tube tester equipment

That's pretty old and may not be easy to use for what you need it for. Plus you'll need to immediately replace the power cord and recalibrate it. Unless you know how to do those things, or are willing to ship it to someone who would do the work (maybe $300-$400?) I would pass....
  13. BassKulcha

Tube tester equipment

I found this to be a good quick introduction to the vintage testers that are well regarded. Depending on what you need it for, you might be able to get away with a cheaper go/no go emissions tester. http://www.tubewizard.com/recommended_Hickok_testers.htm
  14. BassKulcha

Musical Artists Name-Checked in Song Lyrics

Stevie Wonder, Sir Duke: "For there's Basie, Miller, Satchmo And the king of all, Sir Duke And with a voice like Ella's ringing out There's no way the band could lose"
  15. BassKulcha

Mine Have To Go

This may be feeding the beast, but I saw this auction yesterday. Happening this Saturday, but I imagine you could also put your collection in the hands of a reputable auction house? I'm not a radio guy, but some of them made me say wow... https://www.estatesale.com/sales/view/666257.html#gal
  16. BassKulcha

Just saw this McIntosh setup

Wow, where was that? Is it open for others to check out? Love the Altec meters. That looks to be a Thorens TD-124 Mk 2 turntable there on the right...
  17. BassKulcha

Little Brother has Bigger Brother Grundig

Congrats! (looks like a bulletproof packing job, too...)
  18. BassKulcha

Request Advice on Amplifier to Match with Altec Lansing Speaker

it's not purist, but he could always use the mono switch on a older stereo integrated if it has one (like that Eico)... Good thing about that Heathkit is it has been electrically restored (apparently). Seems a little on the pricey side to me, but I'm a cheap bastard.
  19. BassKulcha

Request Advice on Amplifier to Match with Altec Lansing Speaker

For the music you want to play, i think a vintage mono tube amplifier would provide era-correct sound reproduction (given the amp is good quality with no issues, with no leaky capacitors, and resistors in spec). There’s quite a few you could find at your price (again, electrical restoration...
  20. BassKulcha

Help with Step Up Transformer Choice

Good call. Yes, it does— it has a loudness pot (with a switch between loudness and volume), and also an "acoustic level" pot, which someone else on AK deemed "a volume pot for the volume pot" or something like that. I don't generally use the loudness switch until I'm listening at lower volumes...
  21. BassKulcha

What is this Single-Ended Stereo EL84 Console Pull Amp? Decca? Telefunken? Zenith? Worth modifying?

That's the info I previously tracked down as well...not sure it's the "P.E.C. VOLTS" in this, though. I thought it might be an Altec technician's amp for projectors (comes in a great Altec-branded case), and that P.E.C. could refer to photoelectric cell. In the interests of preventing further...
  22. BassKulcha

What is this Single-Ended Stereo EL84 Console Pull Amp? Decca? Telefunken? Zenith? Worth modifying?

Right, that's what I was thinking too, with that umbilical (thinking something similar to a Pilot SA-232/SP-210 console...) Side note / brief thread derail: what is a PEC? I've been trying to figure that out for years! I have an Altec 323-S(A) that says P.E.C. VOLTS on a front switch:
  23. BassKulcha

Awesome, thanks!
  24. BassKulcha

I only have the "skim milk" version. I know that when Mark Deneen was still working, he offered some mods (RCAs, adding the "cream" option), but I got this after he'd already retired. There's another thread on about those mods, plus some others like changing the tube rectification to SS...
Back
Top Bottom