Search results

1. cmcguire

Delphon TT find- interesting!

It's a rare occurrence that I find anything interesting on the local buy and sell but this showed up today and for $20 no less! I'm fairly sure that it's a vintage Delphon idler from the late 50's, maybe a GS-5? I'm set to pick it up this coming weekend. I'm sure it'll make a nice COVID...
  2. cmcguire

"Speaker Factory " kits from Canada?

This is a very long shot but I'm wondering if any members have heard of a company called "The Speaker Factory". Apparently it was a small, Canadian operation that produced custom loudspeaker kits with enclosure plans. Someone local to me is selling this pair and it looks kind of interesting. The...
  3. cmcguire

Name that tonearm

I'm considering purchasing a Technics Sp10Mk2 equipped with what's left of this tonearm. Anybody recognize it or know if it's a good match for the table? Cheers!
  4. cmcguire

Anybody know what this thing is?

This just came up for sale on the interwebs near me. Is it anything? Looks kinda retro cool.
  5. cmcguire

Td 124 mk2 Motor Overheating

Just rebuilt the motor on my latest TD 124 mk2 project (this is the fifth motor I've worked on) and it's running VERY hot. Like so hot I can smell it. Like so hot a small drop of water will sizzle and evaporate on the side of the casing. This is after about fifteen minutes of run time. It's...
  6. cmcguire

Fused TD 124 speed selector

This WILL NOT budge: I've let it soak in acetone for 24 hours. I've tried heat. Nothing. Any ideas?
  7. cmcguire

Weird speed issue on Oracle Paris

Now that I've finally finished the task of scooping all the honey out of my tonearm reservoir and setting out ant traps (if you're not aware of my experiment, please don't ask) I'm on to the task of getting my Oracle Paris up to proper speed. Here's my issue: as measured with the rpm app on my...
  8. cmcguire

Honey as damping fluid? Can you BEE-leive it?

Upside: It's relatively easy to clean up, doesn't go bad. Has a viscosity of about 10,000 cps. Downside: attracts flies and bears. I'm thinking this could theoretically work in an airtight damping vessel like that of the Jelco SA250st. Sweet idea or will I get stung? Thought I'd consult the...
  9. cmcguire

Motor hum? Electromagnetic Interference ? Ground issue?

I'm at a total loss. I have two identical turntables (Mission 775s) with Shure cartridges. They use slightly different grounding schemes and BOTH have the same issue: when the cart reaches the centre of the record there is a low, but audible hum. These tables sound fantastic and solving this...
  10. cmcguire

Nagoaka Mp110 pin popped out!

I've recently come into posession of an orphaned Mission 775s equipped with a Nagoaka mp110 Boron. The left ground cartridge pin has been pulled out/broken off and is currently attached to the cartridge lead! I very gently pried the back of the cartridge off to take a look at the interior wiring...
  11. cmcguire

Oracle Paris mk1 iv an improvement over Mission 775s?

They seem to be very similar tables equipped with tonearms that are apparently Jelco 250st variants. Does anyone have experience with the Paris? I'm thinking it could be an improvement over the Mission I currently have given the Paris has a separate power supply and quieter motor. Edit...
  12. cmcguire

Mission 775s Running Fast

I picked up a very nice Mission 775s yesterday for an absolute song and I'm noticing that it's running a little fast. I've searched for a solution but given the relative obscurity of this table it's difficult to find much info. I have read the original manual and it doesn't mention any ability...
  13. cmcguire

Thorens TD-135 light wiring

Hi, I'm hoping someone who is familiar with this practice can give me a hand on this one. I've seen a few pictures of td 135's with an "on" light installed custom plinths. I've made myself a compact slate plinth and I'd love to install an LED light that switches on when the motor is on, not just...
  14. cmcguire

Yaqin MC-10L missing bass

I'm experiencing an odd problem with a new to me Yaqin MC10. Things seem to be working properly but the amp sounds excessively trebly and there is almost no bass below 80hz. The speakers are phased properly and rated to 92db so they should be efficient enough to be happy with this mid powered...
  15. cmcguire

The curious case of TD 135 MK2 woofer flutter

I'm hoping someone will have some experience with this issue. I very recently overhauled a somewhat tampered with TD 135 and made a modest sized slate plinth for it to nest in. The plinth weighs about 30 lbs and is a slate-plywood-slate sandwich which I have resting on abut 20 lbs of ceramic...
  16. cmcguire

Help me decide! I'm in a Thorens induced state of confusion.

Hi friends, I've recently found myself in a bit of a predicament and I'd really appreciate some spiritual audio guidance. Because of limited financial constraints there can only be one: Thorens TD 160 in very good condition for $350 or a Thornens TD 135 mkii in questionable nick but functional...
  17. cmcguire

Eico ST40 Balance Control

I've recently acquired one of these quirky little amps and am becoming familiar with its idiosyncrasies. I'm wondering if someone with more experience than I can enlighten me on whether it's normal for both channels to be relatively quiet in the middle position of the balance control and quite...
  18. cmcguire

NS1000M for Tannoy Dual Concentric?

Hi! This is my second post here and I'm excited to get involved in the community. I'm fairly new to hifi but have been a professional musician for more than a decade. I'm done touring and with a young family the nearest I can get to being involved in music is through my hifi hobby and teaching...
  19. cmcguire

hi from Ottawa

Long time lurker here! I've been a professional musician for almost 20 years and into hifi for the last 10. I'm mainly into budget vintage audio and am always looking to upgrade my system. Cant wait to start posting here.
Back
Top Bottom