Search results

1. skraggs

Howlin Wolf DOL 2020 reissue

Yeah, all DOL releases are just utter garbage.
  2. skraggs

Your Favorite Singer / Songwriters... Go!

Tom Waits Townes Van Zandt Regina Spektor KT Tunstall Tom McRae Emily Barker The White Buffalo William Elliott Whitmore Passenger Dylan
  3. skraggs

Todays METAL playlist

4. skraggs

Suggest some R2R Ladder DACs

Never heard the Gungnir DS, but going from the NAD 1050 to the Gumby was a revelation. Before that, I didn't know digital could actually be fun. Going from the Gumby to Yggy isn't as huge a step and my Gumby didn't have the upgraded analog stage or unison usb, so if you got one now, I think...
  5. skraggs

So am I! Just went from my Gumby to the Yggy and so far I'm absolutely loving what I'm hearing.
  6. skraggs

Cables needed for Shiit Modi 3 ?

You'll need a standard rca cable between the Modi and the Yamaha. From the iPod to the Modi might be a bit trickier, I don't think you can get digital output from the 3.5 jack. You'll probably need some sort usb adapter for the docking port on the bottom.
  7. skraggs

I have never found a DS dac sharp, but every single one sounded incredibly boring to me compared to my analogue rig. The Gungnir was the first dac I actually enjoyed, to the point where my ratio of analogue/digital listening has changed from 90/10 to sth. more even. But my analogue setup has...
  8. skraggs

Looking for ideas to add onto my sons' stereo systems for Christmas

Are they playing music from their PCs/Laptops? Then a good DAC can make a huge difference. If they like a bit of tinkering a Raspberry Pie is a cool way to build your own streamer.
  9. skraggs

Maybe, but is it actually possible that is the reason why so many people like it?
  10. skraggs

DOL record label - Midnight Blue OK?

Cancel! DOL is one of the many semi bootleg labels capitalizing on expired copyright laws. Usually you'll get less than mediocre pressings sourced from dubious digital sources.
  11. skraggs

Absolutely, I find first hand impressions of actual users much more helpful than anything else (except real life demos of course). As for measurements, I don't understand most of those graphs anyway... Anyway, btt: My personal dac hunt will come down to either the Yggdrasil or the Holo May.
  12. skraggs

Todays METAL playlist

Two-edged sword here: My favourite live album ever but right now a sad reminder that I haven't heard live music for more than a year and probably won't for who knows how long. Seriously, 2020 can **** right off...
  13. skraggs

Praise the gear you own, crap on everything else, hasn't this always been the way this game is played? :biggrin:
  14. skraggs

Talking up a new Emily Barker CD

I've been a big fan of her since I saw her opening for Frank Turner. Amazing songwriter with a beautiful voice, I love pretty much everything she's ever recorded in her career. Additionally, her music is always recorded and mixed incredibly well.
  15. skraggs

I hear you mate, the May is very tempting but that's a lot of money for a dac. Not many dacs that excite both the measurement types and the audiophile crowd though.
  16. skraggs

Can you tell a little sth about this one? It looks interesting and while there are quite a few R2R Dacs, R2R Dacs not made in China are not nearly as plentiful.
  17. skraggs

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Shovels & Rope - By Blood and a glass of Redbreast 21y, life could be worse...
  18. skraggs

Today's JAZZ playlist

When you buy a record because you like the cover and Music Matters has never let you down, then after a year on the shelf you pull out said record, look at the line up for the first time and immediately feel like a total jackass...
  19. skraggs

Effects of colored vinyl on pressing sound quality

I think the bad rep of coloured vinyl comes from certain pressing plants who care more about the gimmick factor than the quality of the actual pressing. The only reason I prefer black vinyl is that it makes cleaning easier.
  20. skraggs

Todays METAL playlist

Minenfeld - The Great Adventure Fans of early Bolt Thrower should check these guys out...
  21. skraggs

Music Matters/Tidal

The Music Matters releases are purely analogue, so I doubt the Tidal version has anything to do with them. Also, if The Opener is the album in question, the MM release was the mono version. Many of the other Blue Note reissues are made from digital masters, I would assume that's where the Tidal...
  22. skraggs

Klipsch Forte III & PrimaLuna EVO 400

Definitely go for the Fortes first, they will sound good with pretty much any amp. Getting a tube amp really made them sing but I was very happy with them on my trusted NAD amp.
  23. skraggs

Todays METAL playlist

Skeletonwitch are the shit! Underrated thrash metal classic:
  24. skraggs

Todays METAL playlist

25. skraggs

Todays METAL playlist

Russian Circles - Blood Year These guys just never fail.
Back
Top Bottom