Search results

1. Onebean

Has anyone heard the La Dolce open baffle diy speaker?

I ran across these on YouTube, and just joined discord to get into the build group. I’m not sure if I’m getting sucked into an overhyped project, or if these are the real deal. Ron at new record day got me started on this path, raving about Clayton Shaw’s new open baffle speaker. Looking at the...
  2. Onebean

Anyone using track lighting in their listening room?

I'm working on a lighting plan for my new listening room. The electricians are coming next week to do the rough in work, and my original plan was to go with LED can lights. After a stop for some drinks at a local club Friday, I've been thinking about switching directions on the lighting. The...
  3. Onebean

How can I add a second source to my whole house audio?

My current whole house audio system consists of Speakercraft speakers in 4 different areas, all volume controlled individually with Niles manual volume knobs in the areas of the speakers. I drive all the speakers with a Speakercraft BB865 amp, and the I use a Google chrome cast as my streaming...
  4. Onebean

MCT/D150 vs MCD550? Anyone compared these?

I’ve been on the hunt for the right McIntosh disc spinning solution for me, for a while. I just can’t seem to lock into a decision. I recently had the idea of getting an MCT (transport only) and adding a d150 to make a complete solution. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with this combo...
  5. Onebean

Digital coax or optical to connect Wiim pro to my DAC?

I ordered a Wiim pro yesterday, and I am looking for recommendations on a digital cable to connect to my DAC. Currently I’m using a Supra USB cable from my iPad to my DAC, but the Wiim has no USB, so I’m on the hunt for a cable. It seems optical cables are cheaper than digital coax. What are you...
  6. Onebean

Has McIntosh made an integrated with variable loudness and a remote???

I know, it’s a pretty specific request. My son will be graduating college in a year, and I’d like to see him upgrade from his Yamaha CR1020 to a McIntosh integrated. He doesn’t need a ton of power, most of his listening is lower level background music. The CR1020 has variable loudness and it...
  7. Onebean

Recommend a cartridge to replace a Pickering XV-15/625E

My son has a Marantz 6100 TT with a Pickering XV-15/625E that has developed a wiring issue in the tonearm. It makes a loud static sound as the arm approaches the record, so I need to dig into the table and see what's going on. In the interim I'm setting up my Sony PS-X60 for him, and I need a...
  8. Onebean

Early planning stages of a somewhat serious HT, and I have questions

We are hoping to add a dedicated space home theater in the next year or so, and I’ve got some planning stages questions. Speakers- my Sony home theater receiver has the room eq feature. With the ability to EQ the speakers to the room, does it really matter what speakers I choose? For example...
  9. Onebean

Denon DP80 vs Technics SL1200 mk3- any difference with the same tonearm???

I have both of these tables. The DP80 is recently back from a full rebuild by PBN Audio. The SL1200 is a low hour table used only for listening, no DJ action. Having both of these tables, I’m wondering how different or similar they would sound, with the same tonearm and cartridge? I’ve read...
  10. Onebean

MCD85 vs MCD600 - are these the same electrically speaking?

I'm wondering if any of you have had a chance to compare these disc spinners. Obviously, they couldn't be more different visually, but are they the same players under the hood? I see the MCD600 offers variable and fixed out, while MCD85 only offers fixed out. Both offer XLR out, and the DAC...
  11. Onebean

Has anyone compared the Marantz SACD 30n to the SA-KI, and SA 10?

I'm very curious on the sound quality difference between these 3 models through single ended and balanced outputs (no balanced out on 30n or SA-KI). If would appear all three use the Marantz designed MMM dac system, versus an off the shelf dac chip. I'd like to upgrade my existing Marantz...
  12. Onebean

MAC4200 in the house, with a problem

I have fallen down a rabbit hole with these MAC receivers. On a whim I bought a MAC4100 a year and a half ago. Got it home, hooked it up, and really enjoyed it. Another one popped up for a good deal, so I grabbed it and sent it to Audio Classics for a tune up. Now both of my 4100's have been to...
  13. Onebean

I'm thinking about upgrading my CD listening equipment, and adding to my CD collection

I've been on the vinyl resurgence train since the early 2000's. It was quite a heyday back then, and had I known then, what I know now, I would have been buying much more aggressively. Hind sight is always 20/20. Used records have gotten very expensive, to the point that I really have to like...
  14. Onebean

Recommend a tonearm for my Denon DP80 and cartridges

I got my DP80 back from PBN Audio. Peter gave it a recap and made sure everything was back to 100%. Nope I’m beginning the process of designing a plinth for it, and looking at tonearm. I think I might build the plinth big enough to hold 2 arms, and I’m exploring my options for a nice used...
  15. Onebean

MC250 / MC2100 speaker ohm load question

I have 4 speakers in my garage, and currently run them off a Luxman R-1070 on the A and B speaker outputs with both runnning at the same time. I’m considering an MC250 or MC2100 for amplification with the R-1070 as the preamp. Will these first generation solid state amps handle lower than 4 ohm...
  16. Onebean

Looking for help with indicator lights on my MC2200

I recently purchased an MC2200. Both lights on the left channel are not working. Beings this traveled halfway across the US, I assume the bulbs had wiggled loose. I pulled off the front face hoping to find both bulbs needing to be tightened up, or reseated. I was surprised to see that the bulbs...
  17. Onebean

I’ve misplaced my Sansui Eight power cord. Now what…

I had the lamps replaced in my Sansui Eight, along with a trip across the bench for an overall checkup. I got it back a couple months ago, and being busy with life, I set it off to the side for future use. 2 weeks ago I intended to hook it up to see the new lamps and listen to it. I realized the...
  18. Onebean

Thoughts on powering 3 sets of speaker with MC2125 at once

I want to power 3 sets of KLH Model Six 8 ohm speakers in my workshop. Per the published specs, these 3 speakers in parallel will yield approximately 2.7 ohm load. I know the MC2125 will accept a 2 ohm load, so I assume it would handle the ohm load. Is the wattage split between these, or will...
  19. Onebean

Can I run 3 sets of speakers at the same time on Pioneer SX-1010?

I’m considering using my SX1010 to run 3 sets of KLH Sixes in my workshop. Looking at the back of the unit, it appears I can connect 3 sets of speakers, but only use 2 sets at a time. Will I damage the 1010 if I use 3 sets at the same time? KLH Six is rated at 8 ohms nominal.
  20. Onebean

What’s your favorite speakers with Sansui Eight?

I just got my Eight back from the shop. The tech did a full relamp, cleaned and lubed all the controls, gave it a full check over for failing components and replaced a few components, then made all adjustments to get it to factory specs. I haven’t even turned it on yet. I’m wondering what...
  21. Onebean

MA6400 vs MA6450 Is there ant difference between these?

I've been looking at the specs for the MA6400 and the MA6450, and they seem to be very close to the same. Is there a specific reason to favor one over the other? I'm drawn to these models because they have the variable loudness control (which I find very nice for low level listening), the...
  22. Onebean

Just bought an MC7270 in not so great shape. Where do I start???

This MC7270 followed me home. It not in the best shape, but I think it will clean up ok with some effort. I know nothing about the operating condition, so fingers crossed I didn’t buy a boat anchor. Where do I start with diagnosis? The on/off and meter switches are really gummy feeling, and the...
  23. Onebean

Bostown gets an A+ from me

Buy or sell with confidence, Jamal is top notch. His packing job on my receiver was nothing short of spectacular, and we all know that's the wild card in these types of transactions. We had excellent communication during the process, and the gear arrived exactly as described. A big thank you!
  24. Onebean

Looking for recommendations for under the radar vintage speakers for mancave / hobby shop

I'm working on adding a mancave / hobby shop to my property. This space will be used for a hobby shop mainly, with some mancave amenities for card nights and small gatherings. The space will be approximately 18' wide and 48' long with 10' or 12' ceilings. I think I need 2 or 3 pairs of speakers...
  25. Onebean

I picked up a Sony PS-X60 off BT today. Any recommendations for a cartridge???

I snagged a Sony PS-X60 off BT today, and I wondered if anyone had recommendations for a cartridge that mates well with the arm. I have a Denon 103, Denon 304, Pickering XV3000, Stanton 625EE, Monster Genesis 1000, Ortofon MC20 mkII, and a Shure M91, in my cartridge stash. Would any of these be...
Back
Top Bottom