Search results

1. S

American made CD player?

Was there ever such a thing? I think California Audio Labs was probably the closest to that ideal.....mostly manufactured in the USA, with the possible exceptions of certain transports they used that they outsourced. Now I'm not speaking of an American company that had the CD player they...
  2. S

Show us your RARE 8-track players!

As the title says....... I myself have two rather rare players in my collection. The first one is a Heathkit GD-28 player that someone made from a kit. Heathkit first offered this particular player in 1969. This has also been the most problematic player I've owned to date as well! :rolleyes...
  3. S

How about a dedicated manufacturer's sub-forum for anything Henry Kloss related?

I see we have dedicated sub-forums for manufacturers such as Sansui, Kenwood, McIntosh, Klipsch and the like......why not anything that was touched by Henry Kloss? You know, companies such as Acoustic Research, KLH, Advent, Cambridge Soundworks, Tivoli.......and some of its offspring such as...
  4. S

Why are NTE components despised so much here?

Like the title says.......why? I've used NTE in the past with no issues, so why the hate? After all, NTE transistors are the old GCE line of semiconductors from Sylvania. When Sylvania got out of the semiconductor business, they were bought up by NTE. Same thing with ONsemi.....they bought...
  5. S

Chorus II & Advent 300 Reciever

Anybody ever try this combo? I know a stock Advent 300 can drive Large Advents with no problem (15wpc @ ohms) but what about Chorus IIs? They should be considered a more efficient speaker than the Advents, so......is there enough juice in the 300's built in power amp section to power these for a...
  6. S

Bob Carver designed/manufactured gear

Just wondering how much love is out there in AK land for anything made by Bob Carver...be it Phase Linear, Carver, etc. The gear I've come across seems technologically advanced compared to what came before it (much like most of the things Henry Kloss had a hand in) but of average to so-so build...
  7. S

Sansui 4000 Receiver Dial Lamp Issues-SOLVED!

So....I posted a thread a little while back about flickering dial lamps on this particular 4000. I recapped the ripple filter board and protection board, but left the rest of the caps be. They are original to the unit and are 47 years old and seem to be working fine. In retrospect, the caps I...
  8. S

Longtime Kloss speaker fan, Klipsch Chorus IIs coming my way. What am I in for?

As the subject says.....the speakers of my choice have been usually KLH or Advent over the years. I will be having a pair of Klipsch Chorus II speakers coming my way to test and prep for resale with option to buy if I like them. Am I in for a treat or will I be disappointed? I've only had one...
  9. S

Adcom GFA-5800 Seems to Run Rather Warm.....

I'm new to these amps, so bear with me. I've got this 5800 that I've been testing out. I'm using the preamp section of a Carver HR-772 receiver, fed into this then the amp feeds to my Dynaco QD-1 box which has a Pair of Large Advents on the front channel and a pair of Advent/3s on the rear...
  10. S

Great speaker combos to go with a Sansui 4000 Receiver

I'm sure this has probably been asked a thousand times before, but I'd like to know everybody's opinions on this one. What have you found to be the best speaker match to go with the Sansui 4000 receiver? I currently am using a pair of original "The Advent Loudspeaker" with mine and find them to...
  11. S

Sansui 4000 Receiver "Ripple filter" board problems......

Strange thing happened last night. I've been using this unrestored 4000 for a while and haven't had any issues. Last night the left side dial lights were flickering, not completely off, but would dim somewhat and come back. It did this for a little while then all of a sudden a low thump was...
  12. S

Original "The Advent Loudpeaker" vs. The "Smaller Advent Loudspeaker"

I recently acquired a pair of the smaller Advents in fantastic condition, with the exception that the woofer surrounds need re-foaming. Haven't actually heard them yet, but the price was very right! Re-foam kit is on the way and they will get done soon. I also have a pair of original Advent...
  13. S

Teac A-4010S R2R deck

I recently was given one of these model Teac decks from a co-worker. It was his late brother's and he was the original owner, brought it back from Vietnam when he was in the service I was told, along with a Sansui 4000 receiver that was also given to me by same said co-worker. Other than the...
  14. S

Another Sansui 4000 question

Ok, so like the title says....another question as I'm new to the Sansui fold....... A little back story first. I recently was given this 4000 from a guy I work with who was cleaning out his brother's estate. His late brother was the original owner of this fantastic piece of audio artwork...
  15. S

Sansui 4000 Receiver phono inputs question

Forgive me if this has been asked a 1000 times before, but I found nothing using the search function..... Sansui offered two distinct phono inputs on the 4000. The manual said that Phono-1 is for 50,000 ohm cartridges and Phono-2 is for 100,000 ohm cartridges. Kind of vague in what it is saying...
  16. S

Bose amp in a 2008 Corvette & what happens when you try & replace your own battery

Ok, let me preface this by stating a couple of things. My day job is for the service/parts department for a Chevrolet dealership. The following is a story of a recent customer of ours and the vehicle in question is not mine. Let me also preface this with the fact that I stupidly forgot to take...
  17. S

Preference to Amp "topograpghy"

Ok, here's an odd one for you........do any of you have a preference to the sound of an amp's design topography? Meaning, like the output stage of a SS amp/receiver. The earliest SS amps used transformers like tube amps did for the speaker output stage, then they went to output coupling caps...
  18. S

Adcom GFA-5800 MOSFET Power Amp & Carver HR-772 Receiver....good, bad, indifferent??

Looking for some opinions on these amps. I have the opportunity to pick these up along with some other gear in a "bulk buy". Wondering if it's worth my time....... Here's the gear I can get in a package deal...... Carver HR-772 Holographic AV receiver California Audio Labs DX-1 cd player Adcom...
  19. S

KLH Six vs. KLH Seventeen, Preferences?

As the title says, preferences of one over the other and why? Now.....go! :)
  20. S

J. Geils passed away today

http://www.wcvb.com/article/guitarist-known-as-j-geils-found-dead-in-massachusetts-home/9263211 Guitarist known as J. Geils found dead in Massachusetts home | Updated: 7:50 PM EDT Apr 11, 2017 SOURCE: Carl Lender/CC BY-SA 3.0/Wikipedia GROTON, Massachusetts — 5 Investigates has learned...
  21. S

My current listening experience......subject to change anytime of course

Thought I'd share what my current setup is. So, what we have below is an AR XA turntable, completely stock, no mods, electronically restored I guess you could say, with a Stanton 500EE cartridge. Below that is a Realistic tape selector box, an Advent 100 noise reduction unit, a late production...
  22. S

KLH Model Six Speakers....early epoxied drivers vs later screw mounted

Ok, question time.........has anyone ever compared the different versions of the Model Six speakers back to back (side to side?) for a sonic comparison? I am of course talking about properly working/restored versions here. Can anyone notice a true difference between the early epoxied drivers...
  23. S

Chuck Berry passes at age 90 today

A sad day indeed. Chuck Berry passed away today. He was releasing a new album this year too.......:( :angel: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/legendary-musician-chuck-berry-dead-90/story?id=46228597
  24. S

KLH Forty-One Reel to Reel Tape Deck

Has anyone ever had any success in getting the electronics working correctly in one of these decks? I've owned two of them....sold the first one off in frustration, still have the second one. I recapped the entire thing (second one) and even went so far as to replace all the transistors in it...
  25. S

Realistic Optimus-1 Speaker Crossover Differences

Hello everyone.......thought I'd share some pics of an early USA made Radio Shack Realistic Optimus-1 speaker crossover (I have a pair of these crossovers actually). These are from the early 40-1969 version of the speaker, predating the Japan made ones from the 70's. I would have to guess these...
Back
Top Bottom