Search results

1. Lucifigus

Very Interest show on YouTube: Crossing the Atlantic in a Cessna

No, I didn't move there until 1986. I do recall that on the summer solstice, about three B-737 or equivalent planes spending the night on the tarmac while the passengers toured town and environs as you describe. Many shops and the museum were open all night to accommodate the tourists. This...
  2. Lucifigus

Very Interest show on YouTube: Crossing the Atlantic in a Cessna

Many years ago I lived in Iqaluit (formerly Frobisher Bay) on southern Baffin Island. Frobisher Bay formed around a US cold war base and a long runway, built just after the second world war. There was a lot of trans Atlantic air traffic that stopped in for fuel. One evening I was dining in a...
  3. Lucifigus

Outstanding music performances that were part of the movie

There is also the Japanese girl group, the 5 6 7 8s, that was featured in "Kill Bill".
  4. Lucifigus

New (Relatively) Music Recommendations

I am sitting here listening to some tunes that are 45 years old (Doobie Brothers). Too often I go to music that is 30 or 50 years old – Tracy Chapman’s first album, Stephane Grappelli & Yehidi Menuhin, Joan Armitrading’s “Show Some Emotion”. I know I am a bit of a curmudgeon, and I try to...
  5. Lucifigus

TEAC. What is the correct pronunciation?

An American businessman is checking into a hotel in London. After the business is completed, he looks at the desk clerk and asks, “Where is the elevator?” The clerk looks at him and says pointedly, “The lift sir is down the hall, on your right.” The man picks up his suitcase and looks at the...
  6. Lucifigus

Portable System for the Cottage

I think you may be correct. As I was shopping for a speaker, once I eliminated features such as being water proof, having flashing lights, and the ubiquitous Bass Boost, there were few good sounding speakers remaining. Now that I have a decent performing portable system, I can see using it...
  7. Lucifigus

Portable System for the Cottage

I frequent a cottage in Prince Edward Island periodically through the summer. One of my main pleasures at the cottage is playing Scrabble with my partner on the deck in the sunshine, while quaffing gin & tonic. We (me much more than her) appreciate good tunes while enjoying the afternoon. I...
  8. Lucifigus

The Detectorists

Yes, fabulous characters. I wasn't aware of the third season - that's good to know. It's written and directed by one of the main characters, and it's worth watching out for anything he writes in the future.
  9. Lucifigus

The Detectorists

A couple weeks ago I came across this British 1/2 hour sitcom on Netflix (Canada). It is unlike most sitcoms in that there is no laugh track, and it's pretty dry, subtle humour until you get the rhythm. Once you begin to see it for what it is, it's ripping funny with that flat, deadpan delivery...
  10. Lucifigus

What's Your Most Self-Indulgent Unnecessary Kitchen Gadget?

Here is a 500 ml handmade copper pouring kettle for making pour over coffee. The leather covering is cool to the touch as I pour 200° F water over my coffee. It works like a charm, but it is also a bit extravagant. https://monarchmethods.com/products/mk500
  11. Lucifigus

Streaming the Masters Golf Tournament

I am less than a year from having given up my cable TV feed. I recall last year waiting until after the Masters golf tournament to do that. I love the Masters and I am wondering if there are any reasonably easy solutions to stream the Masters into a desktop computer. I really don't mind...
  12. Lucifigus

Lyle Lovett

I am quite new to modern high fidelity. I am a gray haired curmudgeon whose music was centered on the early 60s to the mid 80s. I had a brother ten years my senior who exposed me to pop music when I was very young. When I was in my late 20s I enjoyed pretty fine music with moderately high end...
  13. Lucifigus

Returning to photography...a question

https://www.dpreview.com/ I think this site is owned by Amazon, so there is an inherent philosophy of new toys and upgrading (imagine!), but the numerous forums have many experienced and knowledgeable people. There are forums for specific manufacturers and styles. Just using the search...
  14. Lucifigus

Portable Powered Speaker Recommendation

Thanks for the heads up, but I am a little shy on buying used electronic equipment without being able to test it first. Additionally, none of the three sets on eBay will ship to Canada, so no joy there either.
  15. Lucifigus

I have always admired Cambridge Soundworks for their innovation and creativity. That really does look like a killer system for the cottage; however, it's a little out of my price range.
  16. Lucifigus

I read a lot of online reviews and ended up ordering a Marshall Kilburn. It seems to have all I need and is said to deliver reasonably decent sound. It is easily bettered, but apparently not at its price point.
  17. Lucifigus

I am looking for recommendations for a portable powered speaker to use at the cottage and on the deck at home. This would be fed audio from a laptop and the speaker does not need to be bluetooth or waterproof, but having a rechargeable battery would be a plus. I am looking for something with...
  18. Lucifigus

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Rahsaan Roland Kirk: Blacknuss. Late in the evening and listening with headphones. Love this guy.
  19. Lucifigus

Audiokarma's server needs your help

In a relatively short time, I have benefited greatly from this forum, not to mention the entertainment value. I am now a subscriber. Thanks for all your efforts - much appreciated.
  20. Lucifigus

British Female Pop Compilations

I did order a few used CDs of the "Here Come the Girls" series. I'll see what they are like. Thanks for the The link Mystic, I may give that a try too. For those who need some edification about the genre, here is a great explanation. Link: http://www.jazzwax.com/2008/12/british-soul-gi.html
  21. Lucifigus

British Female Pop Compilations

I am looking for good compilations that feature the wonderful British Female Pop sounds of the sixties. Can anyone point me toward some good samples. I have found the "Here Come The Girls" series, but I would be interested in anyone's experience with any of the series in terms of recording and...
  22. Lucifigus

Today's JAZZ playlist

It's a fine, warm sunny Thursday, and I am off work for a while. A nice cold Stella, and I am listening to this. It is my favourite album of George's...
  23. Lucifigus

SO, why get a DAC ??

This is a question I recently wrestled with myself. I was once into semi-serious fidelity (late 70s) and recently decided to focus on better fidelity at home. I use a 10 year old Denon receiver with an older CD player and vintage turntable through Paradigm speakers with subwoofer. I am using...
  24. Lucifigus

Who Saw the Moody Blues Live?

I saw them in 1984 and the opening act was some guy I had never heard of: Stevie Ray Vaughan. Interestingly, they were using racks of Carver M-1.0t amplifiers to power their sound.
Back
Top Bottom