Search results

1. audiodogster

New purchase- 1965 Grundig Schönbrunn console with Dual 1009 and NF-20 amp

Just picked up this console, it's really about the nicest console I've ever seen in terms of build quality, minus one detail that I find to be pretty hilarious. The cost of this was similar to a small car back in the day so naming it after the Schönbrunn palace in Vienna seems fitting. It's got...
  2. audiodogster

Just picked up a KA-907

I wasn't planning on buying this but a KA-907 popped up near me in an estate auction and I got it for $400. It's in overall fantastic shape minus a couple of small nicks and missing the actual handles themselves while having the rails for the handles. The build quality puts all of my other...
  3. audiodogster

Worth rewiring old equipment with better wire?

I'm currently staring down several projects but one that stands out to me is my newly acquired Amber Series 70. Fantastically warm sounding amp from the late 70s, about 70wpc. I have looked at the service bulletins and am planning on implementing the circuit changes listed, which includes some...
  4. audiodogster

Marantz 2225 restoration thread

I'm starting to restore a Marantz 2225 that I picked up for $105. I thought it would be interesting to share the info that was on the bottom of this unit from a previous servicing: So they measured it at 32wpc at 8ohm at 1 khz both channels driven, and less than 0.03% distortion, better...
  5. audiodogster

Need manuals for Modulus speakers w/ active crossover and servo sub

Just picked up a Modulus system complete with the speakers, stands, crossover, and sub. This is the early 90s system, not the HTiaB stuff from the early 00s. I've got to pick up a DIN cable for the sub but I cannot find an owners manual or service manual to try to figure out how I'm supposed to...
  6. audiodogster

Made the Klipschorn upgrade but feel I don't have worthy equipment

Hello all, I am a proud owner of some 1989 Klipschorns. I have Fortes and used to have La Scala Industrial. I love the Forte, wasn't as enthusiastic about the La Scala but they were bone stock with original 1988 crossovers. Forte I recapped but haven't gotten around to changing to Crites...
  7. audiodogster

University 6303 Diffaxial tweeter cutting in and out

I was able to pick up University corner speaker cabinet with a 6303 inside in an auction for $2.44. I cleaned up the potentiometer (sandpaper and deoxit) and replaced the wax capacitor with a NOS oil filled capacitor (seemed to be the recommendation on here for older speakers). It has a problem...
  8. audiodogster

Restoring harman/kardon 430, need some input

I bought an HK 430 a few years ago planning to give it to my dad but it's had issues. I replaced some bad transistors, 2SC1345 and 2SC458 with KSC1845 per other threads on those transistors. I've tested the unit since replacing them and it fixed all of the scratchiness (well and some Deoxit) and...
  9. audiodogster

DCM TF-600 first impressions: Better than my Klipsch Forte!?

A set of DCM TF-600s popped up in an estate auction last week and I ended up buying them as I've been interested for a while. I put them into my system earlier and I have been blown away. I have been using Klipsch Forte (series I) which I liked but knew they weren't quite as good as the Monitor...
  10. audiodogster

Fisher Custom Electra IV

Just picked up a 1960 model E-44. I'll get some pictures of the whole piece once I've got a spot to stage it but couldn't resist posting it. It happened to come with all of the original documentation. The inside is nice and clean and looks to have been barely used. That Garrard table is a real...
  11. audiodogster

Need valuation for refund on my hacked up Tru-Sonic cabinets. Ideas for use also welcome

I'm working on my refund request for the Tru-Sonic speakers I bought that didn't have original drivers. I'm just wondering what I should be thinking these are worth in their current state so I can negotiate a proper partial refund. Previous threads with pictures are here (Dollars and Sense...
  12. audiodogster

Mid Century Speaker ID needed

Also posted this in Dollars And Sense but wanted to cast a wider net. I just won a set of speakers in an auction. I've done that bit before. I've also put money on and won speakers I knew nothing about and ended up with a pair of Klipsch La Scala for $400. What I've never done is bought...
  13. audiodogster

Mid Century Speaker ID needed: Was I dumb to buy these?

I just won a set of speakers in an auction. I've done that bit before. I've also put money on and won speakers I knew nothing about and ended up with a pair of Klipsch La Scala for $400. What I've never done is bought speakers in an auction that I couldn't even identify, at least until today...
  14. audiodogster

Picked up an interesting walnut Yamaha rack system

Just picked this up today, got it in an online auction for $110. It's a Yamaha rack system from 1982 including a tuner (T-20), phono (P-20), cassette deck (K-20), and integrated amplifier (A-20). I'm not sure about the other components, but the P-20 is a slightly modified P-550 servo direct...
  15. audiodogster

Scored 11 pair of TBI Majestic Diamond Mini Monitors, line array time?

These things are awesome! Slightly bigger than those Bose sound cubes and probably better (I have never had a chance to listen to Bose's smaller units, though I loved my 10.2). I saw a couple pair of these in a sale a few weeks ago mixed in with some other audio equipment so I looked them up and...
  16. audiodogster

What brand do you like that you wouldn't necessarily want to own more of?

I know many people are brand enthusiasts. I'm very happy with all of the Yamaha equipment I own and would love to own more. The styling of vintage Yamaha pieces is probably my favorite and the sound signatures seem more modern than their contemporaries. That being said, by chance of what's been...
  17. audiodogster

Ohio auction closing tomorrow 10/30/17- Electro-Voice Patrician 700

https://www.ebth.com/items/7179892-electro-voice-patrician-700-speakers These need a bit of work but last pair on ebay went for $15k. They have the Electro-Voice 30W woofers, which are actually 30" woofers. Someone should buy these and save them.
  18. audiodogster

Need some recs for nice looking bookshelf speakers

I'm getting rid of my Genelec 8050As and want to find some decent bookshelf speakers for a desk setup. Thing is, they need to look nice, as I'm also moving to a new (to me) leather top desk from Napoleonic France. So we're talking about furniture-grade pieces. I'm currently liking the Monitor...
  19. audiodogster

Hurricane Irma Craigslist score!

Yamaha CA-410 II. Class was cancelled today and tomorrow because of Irma so I decided to check Craigslist and found this for $25. Drove over to Publix to use the ATM (pro tip: Publix ATMs have no fee), and the power was out as I pulled up. I went and parked anyway and the power came back on as I...
  20. audiodogster

Capehart 1200 series tube cabinet near Atlanta- $100

No affiliation, just thought this was an excellent deal, I'd be all over it if I had the space. Looks to be in mint condition with all tubes intact. 12AX7 and EL84/6BQ5 combination from what I've been able to read on this model...
  21. audiodogster

Cartridge recommendations for Garrard SL95 (Heavy tonearm)?

I bought a Garrard SL95 a while back for a mid-century setup and either the needle was bent when I got it or in the process of cleaning out all of the Garrard glue (yea, I wasn't thinking and didn't remove it while working on it). It was a QLM 30 Mk III, wondering if I should just buy a new...
  22. audiodogster

Picked up some nasty NS-A99s, restoration in progress

Here's the before: The picture was in a local auction listing. I was intrigued by the walnut veneer but couldn't read the logos so I posted in the Dollars and Sense page. No one knew exactly what they were but guessed Yamaha. Most people said they would pass on them as they look disgusting. I...
  23. audiodogster

Anyone want to jump on the end of the depreciation curve? $30k to $4.2k

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/d/audio-research-reference/6231923276.html Pair of 500 wpc (into 16 ohm) tube monoblock amps for $4200. These were originally $30k a pair a decade ago. Guy says he didn't even use them much! Is depreciation on this high-end stuff as bad as this usually?
  24. audiodogster

Speaker ID?

Only picture the seller has, was interested in them as it looks like a nice veneer on the top.
  25. audiodogster

Picked up a tube hoard, which, if any are audio tubes/useful?

Here's the full album: http://imgur.com/a/yfkAC A bit over a hundred of them, paid very little for the lot. I think most of the tubes are picture tubes so if anyone recognizes anything useful, let me know. I figured I could at least break even selling these to someone who knows more about them...
Back
Top Bottom