Search results

1. jqp

Looking at some AR-28 speakers - are these worth it?

AR 28's if they have original drivers. Some owners have replaced the woofers with something from Radioshack when the originals needed refoaming.
  2. jqp

Vintage Curtis Mathes stereo console - value? Interest??

I have purchased or gotten free 10 tube consoles solely for the purpose of converting the amps to standalone operation. It just seems nobody really wants them anymore, but the cabinet design of yours looks great, so might get some interest. If it comes down to giving it away, keep the tube...
  3. jqp

Vintage Curtis Mathes stereo console - value? Interest??

The layout is great with the doors hiding the turntable and receiver. No top lid to lift open in order to play it, so a tv or other objects can be placed on top. The receiver is also oriented correctly, so it would make a great standalone unit. Power up with a dimbulb tester after carefully...
  4. jqp

Let's hear your horror stories and close calls!

There was a Fisher Chadwick console at an Estate sale with a 460a amp that I was interested in. Unfortunately the estate sale company had it turned on all day with the glass of an output tube completely broken off, exposing the 385(?)vdc to anyone reaching behind the console. There is no back on...
  5. jqp

Best budget cartridges of all time post yours

For a low tracking force elliptical, my vote goes to the Audio Technica AT92ecd or variants. Can still get genuine AT styli for them pretty cheap.
  6. jqp

Phono preamp question

Try to get the total C load for your Audio Technica cartridge below 100pf. Just a hunch, but likely all AT cartridge owners are not getting the best from their AT carts due to a total C load of 300pF or more. 150pf tonearm/rca cables plus 150pf preamp C load. I would look for a phono pre with...
  7. jqp

Garrard Lab-80 Power Wiring - Spark Arrestor

You could try temporarily bypassing the shorting switches and see if that helps. Contacts might also need a sanding.
  8. jqp

Garrard Lab-80 Power Wiring - Spark Arrestor

I removed the orginal suppressor, added a terminal strip and made my own. Popping was never an issue. Cap and resistor values I would have to look up.
  9. jqp

Realistic Lab total turntables

I had the same problem with another turntable and it turned out to be the led lamp I was using. Use only incandescent lamps for turntable lighting now.
  10. jqp

Magic Eraser

A few dips in the magic eraser followed by a couple of dips into Blu-Tack or equivalent. Watched a youtube video of a fellow lowering his stylus into a gel type cleaner and when raising it back up it looked like the cantilever was going to snap off as it was pulled downward at an extreme angle.
  11. jqp

Need help choosing a cart alignment tool

Often overlooked is the azimuth alignment of the diamond/cantilever assembly from the stylus factory. Sometimes it is a bit off and if using a removable headshell can be compensated for with the play in the headshell mount. Unless the azimuth is absolutely spot on from the factory, the pencil...
  12. jqp

How much to spend on cables?

A few years ago I did buy a 50' roll of low capacitance shielded microphone cable. I think it was about 25 cents a foot and it is a terrific cable, nice and flexible. Measured capacitance is 19pF per foot and it's very useful in making turntable interconnects for Audio Technica cartridges, for...
  13. jqp

How much to spend on cables?

A really good free source for speaker wire are vaccum cleaners set out at the curb on trash day. Really long power cords just waiting to be cut off and repurposed for speaker wire. My preference is the "Bissell" branded cable.
  14. jqp

Realistic Lab total turntables

LAB-300,400 and 500 owner here. All are great tables and I would have a real hard time letting any of them go. LAB-300 was purchased at a yard sale, LAB-400 purchased from the Salvation Army thrift store and the 500 was purchased from a fellow at an auto body shop. The 500 was completely covered...
  15. jqp

Audio Technica LS-200 vs VM95E

Ebay is where I usually buy my styli.
  16. jqp

I would just buy a new stylus (aka needle) for the LS-200.
  17. jqp

I would give the LS-200 diamond a good cleaning, play it and see how it sounds. Might not be as worn as you think. Do you have the basic turntable tools? Alignment protractor, magifying glass or loupe, magic eraser and or blu-tack for stylus cleaning, etc? The LS-200 is a fine sounding cartridge...
  18. jqp

The most junky speakers youve ever owned!

Owned a pair of RCA HTIB speakers that were hung on the wall of a house I bought. I only owned them until a chair was unloaded from the moving truck so I could get up high enough to remove them and toss them in the trash. Ownership lasted about an hour. Could have made a huge mistake by not...
  19. jqp

Help with a TC-558

I had a similar problem with my TC730 which is a similar deck. The right channel was out on FWD playback but REV playback worked fine. Decided to unsolder the connections at FWD head and began following the signal using beep function. Found my way to SW2 (playback board) and the signal did pass...
  20. jqp

Turntable Request, what’s the easiest to work on vintage table?

A belt drive, semi automatic with an AC motor from the 1970's is pretty easy to work on with not much that can go wrong. Realistic LAB 300, Sansui SR 212 plus many others. Electrically not much to them, AC motor, switch or two and a capacitor or two. Good learning experience if you like to...
  21. jqp

16 OHM L-Pads for Heathkit AS-103A, AR-3a

Do you still have the original pots? Swapping wires from terminal B to terminal 1 (have to check my notes to make certain) will run your drivers on max output without altering the crossover. At this speaker age (50+ years old?) the midranges and tweeters might not have the output they had when...
  22. jqp

Sansui 5000x drive KEF 104.2?

It is common for Sansui drivers from that era to have hardened surrounds. Have you tried pushing in the woofer cones to see if they move freely? Same goes for the midranges/squawkers. If they feel stiff, a softening of the surrounds with brake fluid will bring them back. They will never sound...
  23. jqp

Record stores selling USED records... What should we expect?

The record stores in my area are not very well lit, so it is difficult to judge the condition of records under such lighting. When shopping used records I bring an eyeglass cleaning cloth, led flashlight and #3 reading glasses. If there is the slightest imperfection or spindle marks I will not buy.
  24. jqp

Sub recommendations for vintage set-up

Miller and Kreisel Goliath from 1977 is what I use and am very happy with it. Big, heavy and a furniture grade cabinet.
  25. jqp

Sansui SP-200 low midrange output

Are the surrounds flexible? I have 2 pairs of the SP-200's and the midrange surrounds were hard and felt like plastic with basically no cone movement. Treating them with dot 3 brake fluid restored their flexibility. Woofer surrounds get the same brake fluid treatment. Also had a pair of...
Back
Top Bottom