Search results

1. sev1

Velodyne vs JL Audio

Although JL is relatively new to the home Audio game, they have been among the leaders (if not THE leader) in mobile subwoofers. They design and manufacture their own drivers and have been very successful at it. They also have a line of class D mobile amps that have been super successful as...
  2. sev1

DAC specifically for Redbook CD's

I'd check this out. Japanese Denon DCD-1650AZ w 4x BB PCM1704K's and Pacific Microsonics PMD100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENON-DCD-1650AZ-Used-CD-Player-1999-/182522646067?hash=item2a7f328e33:g:4b4AAOSwls5Y6YQa
  3. sev1

Challenge for the modern fans - The best $1000 system.

Assuming you have a computer as a source already... JBL LSR305 - ~$350 Street Price (lower on eBay) MiniDSP 2x4HD ~$285 w UMIK Mic and Remote ISOAcoustics L8R155 Desktop Stands: $110 on Amazon or Dayton SSMB24 Speaker Stands: $65 on Parts Express Assorted Cables: ~$50 Total: $750 - $795...
  4. sev1

Next project: Adcom GDA-600

Ok, fixed some solder joints and got it going! Definitely more extended and detailed on the upper midrange to the top end. Good stuff here!
  5. sev1

Finished all opamp and filter caps! Power up and...Left Channel only...back to the drawing board.
  6. sev1

I like where this is going...
  7. sev1

I'm in the Bay Area. It's expensive sometimes, but you can find deals too.
  8. sev1

Gotta check Craigslist. That's where the best deals are at. Got my 600 for $175. Might be able to find cheaper even.
  9. sev1

Yeah they are really different. It looks so much more complex. I think the output stage is more complex due to the 1702 DAC's being more finicky. Looking forward to seeing how you like it!
  10. sev1

In terms of cost, I think it's inline with most DIY XMOS implementations. I believe this is the previous gen as well so in my mind it could be a bit cheaper. However, no other boards that I found would output directly to the PCM63 (or PCM1704...). In the end, I spent quite a bit on it as I...
  11. sev1

Some light afternoon reading about izotope: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/izotope-sample-rate-convertor-15352/
  12. sev1

I hear what you. Listening to it stock is actually really good. I'm happy, but also excited to install the mod's.
  13. sev1

The whole oversampling debate is very fascinating. I think its probably one of the least understood aspects of digital playback. I have tried to ingest as much as possible and still have very little grasp of it. Hopefully this setup will give me an opportunity to subjectively compare...
  14. sev1

Glad to hear things are getting better! My 627s have arrived and I'm waiting on the Sonicaps now. I checked the datasheet and it advises 0.1uF bypass caps. Funny you should say this. I've ordered this board to install as the USB interface on my 600: http://jlsounds.com/i2soverusb.html...
  15. sev1

If you were going to upgrade your Adcom GDA-700, What would you get?

GDA 700 seems like a great choice. I don't believe Sonos can output any higher than 16/44.1 so no need for dacs which play higher bit rate natively.
  16. sev1

Regarding the 0.1 uF Opamp Bypass caps. If we're adding capacitance for power, do we need to use 0.1uF for bypass? Is it possible to bypass using 0.01uF? Reason I ask was rather than using the Vishay MKP1837, I was considering 0.01uF REL RTE. Any thoughts on this?
  17. sev1

Thanks belgianbrain. I'm not an engineer, I'm just reading the schematic and asking about the differences, please pardon my ignorance. I'm asking all these questions when I see differences so I don't make any mistakes when I work on mine. Thanks for all of your replies to this thread.
  18. sev1

3. The 1837 caps are okay to use over the stacked metal film's as recommended? 6. These value's seem to be considerably larger than the .1uF on the schematic. How does it affect they power supplied to the opamps?
  19. sev1

Great to hear! Which Lampi are you running?
  20. sev1

Thanks. I've stared at that So found out that the NPC5813 is just a rebadged DF1700. Mystery solved. That being said, I think these might be some worthwhile upgrades on the digital side: http://www.audiotuning.de/english/index.html Look for the Parasound DAC 1500 upgrades as its chipset...
  21. sev1

Been listening to the stock version for a couple days and am really liking it. Can't wait to do the upgrades. Although, I'm also looking heavily at zapfilter 2 instead of the opamp upgrades.
  22. sev1

San Jose, CA Audio

Born and raised in Hawaii, now a resident of San Jose, CA. I've been quite a few Audio forums. Get kinda burnt out of a lot of them. Reading AK forums seems to be more my speed. Right now focusing on my desktop and car systems. I really don't get a chance to listen anywhere else.
  23. sev1

List of DACs Under $450

In a car, forget the DAC and get a Helix DSP or DSP-Pro, or a Mini DSP. You will get much better results.
  24. sev1

which DAC

If price wasn't a factor then the TEAC would be my choice. I really like the sound of the AK4490 chips and the USB interface is super functional. It supports upsampling to DSD but isn't required. Given their history with Digital products from their Esoteric line, I think TEAC has a pretty...
  25. sev1

DAC DYI

Here's a fully built one. This is dual mono: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131764951885?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT The same user has some DIY boards too for other chip sets. I didn't see any dual 4495 DIY boards. You're going to run through a bunch of sellers with what...
Back
Top Bottom