Search results

1. B

My first piece of tube gear!

The test voltages will be high due to the increased line voltage and also the voltages were tested with a meter that most likely had a 1000 ohm per volt impedance. The new digital meters have an impedance depending on the meter will have somewhere between 5 and 11 megohms and as a result do not...
  2. B

Let us know how you make out with the new transformer. If you have questions about old radios in the future, I'll do my best to help you. I've been working on old radios and audio equipment since the late 50's and have a house full of pre war radios, both consoles and table radios. The old radio...
  3. B

I'm betting that the output transformer is no good as from what I can see from your pictures, the wires are good. I would recommend using a PT131 output transformer from Antique Electronic Supply at tubesandmore.com. The transformer has a 5,000 impedance at 8 ohms which will work for your radio...
  4. B

By looking at the schematic, the output transformer is mounted to the speaker. There are two leads from the output transformer connected to the speaker plug that connects to the chassis. Check the continuity across those two terminals. You should see a few hundred ohms of resistance across those...
  5. B

I'm still thinking that the output transformer has an open secondary winding, have you checked that for continuity? You shouldn't have voltages that are 1.5 to 2 times higher than what is listed. You will probably see a slight increase in voltages due to the higher line voltage we have today...
  6. B

Have you checked the continuity of the output transformer, both the primary and secondary windings. If you have no voltage on the plate of the 6V6, then that is what I would check next. If the primary winding of the output transformer is open, then there will be no voltage on the plate. Check...
  7. B

Anyone got any Shortwave radios?

I own a Hallicrafters SX 99, Collins R390, several Zenith Transoceanic radios and numerous pre WW2 radios with shortwave bands.
  8. B

6F6 variants - audible differences?

The 6F6 tube family was used mostly in late 1930's and early 1940's radios which weren't exactly high fidelity. I own several radios from that time period that use the 6F6 in single end and in push pull. I've used all of the versions of the tube and it's really tough to tell any difference...
  9. B

Heathkit AA 100

Years ago, I had an AA100 but I sold it as the boards were problematic due to heat deterioration. I actually like its smaller sibling the AA151 as it is hard wired and a bunch easier to repair. I know they are lower power, but as far as I'm concerned, the EL 84 is a better sounding tube than the...
  10. B

Vintage Sears Silvertone Radionet

If you are interested in getting into the old radio hobby, pick up a couple of radios known as the All American Five radios which are fairly easy to get going and aren't expensive or particularly valuable. Practice getting them up and running and then go after the larger tube count more valuable...
  11. B

Silvertone-Radionet what is it?

Fortunately the tubes are readily available and are relatively inexpensive. I own several Silvertone radios and once they are rebuilt, they sound good. Don't let the radio get repurposed into something like a wine cabinet, or worse yet, end up in a land fill, restore it and enjoy it.
  12. B

My first Tube amp. Wow!

If you are planning on using the phono pre amp, I would recommend finding tube shields for the 12AX7's in the phono circuit as it appears that the shields are missing which could introduce hum when using the phono circuit. You will like the EL 84 output tubes and Pilot builds some really good...
  13. B

You can restore your radio if you are careful and take your time. It will need its filter caps and any paper caps replaced for sure along with any resistors that are out of tolerance. The tubes really can't be tested with a multimeter with the exception of filament continuity. I buy most of my...
  14. B

I have a house full of pre WW2 radios and the larger ones do sound good and for the most part, they can be restored without breaking the bank. The only relatively expensive tube in the radio is the 6U5 tuning eye tube. If you do buy it and need service information for it, I'm sure I have it. All...
  15. B

Dynaco PAS2 Help

I agree with petercapo, the tape head and special inputs on the PAS 2 are no longer needed. Your turntable gets connected to the phono inputs and things like an iPOD connect to the high level inputs such as the aux or radio inputs. If you are positive that the input you are using isn't causing...
  16. B

Restuff the vintage capacitor cans or...??

Please keep in mind that when dealing with tube electronics, there are LETHAL VOLTAGES in many places underneath the chassis. You can do the repairs, but having at least the schematic diagram for the unit is a must. You can go to the HI Fi Engine website, they may have the service information...
  17. B

Dynaco PAS2 Help

Has your new to you pre amp been recapped and the tubes tested? If not, that should be done before doing anything else. And are you sure that the noise isn't being generated by what you are connecting to the pre amp?
  18. B

Restuff the vintage capacitor cans or...??

You can restuff the original filter cans which is a bunch of work or if there is room under the chassis, the original can can be left in place and the new caps can be mounted to terminal strips underneath. The third way is to contact Hayseed Hamfest and have them make up a new can capacitor for...
  19. B

EICO ST-70 crosstalk problem

I have an ST 70 that I rebuilt years ago and I don't remember having a problem with crosstalk. It sounds to me like you have some sort of internal shielding problem.
  20. B

Tube testers and thermistors

I agree with FlaCharlie and Retrovert, my line voltage varies between about 118 volts to 123 volts and I don't have an adjustment problem with any of my testers. I would suggest doing some trouble shooting on your tester before putting a Band Aid on to cover up a problem with the tester. If the...
  21. B

I just checked a 6L6 on my Hickok 600A connected to the Kill A Watt meter on my bench and it shows 59 watts and .5 amps at 119 volts with the test button on the tester is depressed. I would suspect that the numbers I'm seeing are somewhere close to what many other testers draw so a CL80...
  22. B

I can justify the use of a thermistor in equipment that has a steady load on it. I don't know about the use of one on a tube tester as the load is variable depending on which tube is being tested. If a thermistor is not operated at or near its current limit, there is no way of telling just how...
  23. B

Grommes 61PG or Heathkit W5M to restore?

The Grommes is an integrated amp that has the preamp built in. The W5M is a great amplifier but will require a pre amplifier to use them which adds to the expense of the system.
  24. B

heathkit aa-151 advice please

There is also the possibility that the tube sockets have failed as they weren't all that good when they were new. I have had to replace sockets in both of my AA151's due to them breaking. Fortunately since they were kits, the sockets are easy to replace. Also since the amp was built from a kit...
  25. B

heathkit aa-151 advice please

If you are positive that the tubes aren't lit and sometimes it's hard to tell, then either both tubes are defective which isn't likely, or there is no power to the tube filaments from the connections off of the 6AU6's. Each 6EU7 is powered by a separate 6.3 volt winding from the power...
Back
Top Bottom