Search results

1. Troubador

Some Empire Turntable History

But what I came here to say was - 5 pin Eby male plugs on Ebay (Hammond/Leslie/Empire pattern) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Connector-5-pin-Eby-male-plug/281610838390?hash=item4191506176:g:b2MAAOSwv0tU7ecc:rk:15:pf:0
  2. Troubador

The Philips screws you mention were, ISTR, cross-drilled and pinned at the factory. If you search this thread there are posts on this topic suggesting that these are best left alone. Trying to turn the screw without removing the pin will shear the screw off. I am no expert - search this thread...
  3. Troubador

Soldering advice

any brand recommendations for solder?
  4. Troubador

So all I need is an NOS 598 "I" Pabst motor with the three-step pulley? Great! Which vendor has the best price this week?
  5. Troubador

So, the 598 was a three speed turntable, the 598-II (mine) plays at 33 and 45 rpm (more or less;) ) - what was different? I assume the third speed was 78 and not 16.5, is there a way to modify a 598II to allow it to play 78s?
  6. Troubador

Ah, the mystery and magic of Empire tonearm cables! The middle cable, I think came with the table when I bought it in ’69 or ’70. I have a few more like this, two of which have failed. The one on the left may have come from Lyle after Empire shut down? The fat guy with the copper-coloured pins...
  7. Troubador

New pre-owned sales section of our site

Take a look at their restoration page http://hudsonvalleyhifi.com/mcintosh-mac-4100-receiver
  8. Troubador

What I learned on Craigslist

The listers may suck but Craig is a nice guy, at least
  9. Troubador

"Conversely, washing the well out with the ethanol might have stripped the bearings of their impregnation of lubricant" But I only had it in the parts washer for a couple of days, that should not cause any trouble…. Actually I used a swab just moistened with alcohol to wipe the well, it came up...
  10. Troubador

I was certain I had routed the motor wires well away from the platter, but somehow the ground wire was touching just barely. No more noise. Also found some knurled knuts (and washers & allthread) that I must have bought from Turntable Basics about a hundred years ago when I got the mirror...
  11. Troubador

Arrgghh! I replaced the motor grommets, cleaned the platter and bearing well with ETOH, lightly lubed the shaft and spun the platter. I hear an intermittent scraping or grinding sound. The platter does not seem to be rubbing anywhere, no obvious corrosion or gunk on the shaft or visible in the...
  12. Troubador

BTW what is the threaded bit (looks like a coax male connector) atop the starter cap ?
  13. Troubador

well, at least Empire photos, one looks like an earlier model
  14. Troubador

Well. after staring at the screen for hours till my eyeballs ache, and going down a million Google rabbit-holes, a search for "delrayaudiosales" (the guy who sometimes lists tonearm cables on Ebay) elicited a plethora of 598 chassis photos!
  15. Troubador

Empire 598 Generation One

I found a few after failing to find any with normal search terms. I was looking for the guy who sells cables on Ebay ('cause I really need a fourtg cable for my one 598….) and hit gold - three or four clear shots of 598 undersides. In Turntable gallery now.
  16. Blog-Empire 598 III Turntable W 4000D II Cartridge32

Blog-Empire 598 III Turntable W 4000D II Cartridge32

-Empire 598 III Turntable
  17. Empire_398_with_980_arm_5_1024x1024

Empire_398_with_980_arm_5_1024x1024

18. Images

Images

598III Empire Toubador
  19. Images-2

Images-2

Empire
  20. Troubador

any luck finding this info?
  21. Troubador

any luck finding this info?
  22. Troubador

I bought my first turntable in 1970 while in high school, with money earned working in a bicycle shop after school. It was in the Empire base for years, then when I had a cabinet made for stereo equipment I mounted the 598 directly to it after making a template from my Empire base. A few years...
Back
Top Bottom