Search results

1. D

Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

I'm highlighting my experience for future readers. I did some research in how to do this, and I still missed some details.
  2. D

Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

I gave this method a try on an LP I bought that I found had skips in the first quarter of it. Tried other cleaning methods, nothing worked. I read through this thread and found people saying to use Titebond II. My bottle doesn't say anything other than Titebond, so I assume that's wrong...
  3. D

NAD 6240 joins the family

Came very clean, in fully working condition. No goop belts (but not quite as firm as they could be, probably need a change in the near future).
  4. D

Trouble with FF/REW?

Resurrecting this thread because it was helpful to me. I picked up an AD-S27U for cheap. Got it home and encountered the same issue: play worked but rr/ff did not. After reading this thread, I figured I'd give changing the belts a try, so I contacted Bob at vintage-electronics (thanks to the guy...
  5. D

NAD Equipment - Strong Opinions Needed!

I bought a NAD 7000 receiver off ebay about a month ago, in excellent working condition and complete with working remote control. I've got a pair of triangle BRO3s running off of it now, and they sound really great. Luckily for me, the phono input sounds really good, because I just noticed today...
  6. D

Speaker and amp matching...

I read up a bit on that switch. It's apparently for A. preventing you from blowing your speakers out by suddenly turning on the receiver (safety features seems to be a motif with this model), and B. as a quick silent mode if someone comes to the door, need to answer phone, or something. I also...
  7. D

So, I'm a dummy. lol You can see in the picture above that the low level is turned on. The NAD automatically turns it on every time you power the receiver. I turned that off and WOW the Pioneers came to life. Crisp sound, clear bass, great separation. So much better than the Sony. I can go up to...
  8. D

So, I DID get a working NAD. Perfect working condition and complete with remote control. Could use a bit of compressed air to get some dust out of the innards. I passed on those SMG's (their age was coming through in the sound) but I plan on doing an in-home trial of the Magnepan LRS. I paired...
  9. IMG_20200228_224936

IMG_20200228_224936

10. D

I'll try my best not to end up with a dead one. Even if I stick with the pioneers for now, seems like I need a different amp. I also live near plenty of audio equipment mechanics, so worse comes to worse, I can get it serviced.
  11. D

I'll keep NAD in mind. Seems to be plenty of secondhand ones on the market for not a lot of money. Do you have a specific model in mind?
  12. D

Thanks. I have suspected that I wasn't getting the most out of these speakers. They still sound pretty good until I put on certain records. I might also pick up a Cambridge 640a alongside the SMG's, but I'm iffy on that. If it doesn't sound good enough, I'll hold out and get a different amp with...
  13. D

I have a GX99ES Hmmm, so in the Magnepan's case, would it simply be safer to go for an amp with lower impedance? I'll look further into the actual manual.
  14. D

Hey guys. Turns out you learn something new every day. I'm on the market to buy a better pair of speakers, so I thought I'd go formally look up how to match speakers to an amp (I would just look at wattage and call it a day). So... From what I understand, the ohms of the speakers should match...
  15. D

Schiit mani hum issue... grrrrr

I ended up picking this up since it had better reviews than the alva solo. It sounds really nice! The balance is great, better soundstage than the mani, punchy bass. I've been listening to Bjork's Utopia on repeat testing the preamps. She uses a lot of distortion, interweaving and whispery...
  16. D

I had this table opened up and serviced some months ago, so I'm not sure if anything is still corroded in there. I paid $150 for the mani, but I'd be willing to go up to $200 if it were worth it. I'm using the stock R1000E cart that comes with the Lab with a new Shure X8 stylus, if I remember...
  17. D

In my case, the hum isn't started by starting the table. The moment I turn on my Mani and receiver, the hum is constantly there. Turning on the lab doesn't change anything until then moment the stylus touches down.
  18. D

Hm. Ill keep the Alva solo in mind. I don't want to go too cheap this time. That's the whole point of this thread... You have any preamp suggestions?
  19. D

Ah, shite. I'm assuming you have the alva solo, since that is closest to the mani in price. How long have you had it? Noticed any decrease in quality?
  20. D

lab 400 with the stock MM cart.
  21. D

I know there are other threads out there with potential solutions, and I've tried them; it seems like I'm out of luck when it comes to the mani. When I turn on the system, there is a VERY noticable hum until the stylus meets the record. After which, it dies down. The mani actually sounds better...
  22. D

Upgrade time?

I got the table fixed by a local guy who did a great job. Now the player is fully functional and sounds GREAT. Not sure what is wrong with my Technics, but it just doesn't perform anywhere near as good as the lab. The repair didn't even cost me more, since I was refunded some cash for the issues.
  23. D

Shure 8x stylus

Very interesting!
  24. D

Upgrade time?

Nope, not me. I have the table now, and it has speed issues. *sigh* Now I have two out-of-commission tables.
  25. D

Shure 8x stylus

This came with a table I just bought. The cart says realistic R1000E. Glad to see this is good equipment.
Back
Top Bottom