Search results

1. Drum

What’s difference in Heresy models

I would second the EPI's. The Klipsch are a little harsh for me, though I have not heard the recent versions. I had some EPI 100's as a teenager and restored some 202's a couple of years ago (a two module 100 - 2 woofers and two tweeter on adjacent faces). When I first got the 202's they...
  2. Drum

I made a trade...kef for PSB

I have the stratus mini and love the sound, they are my current main speakers with an HSU sub. Having said that, they are my third favorite speaker behind the EPI 202 and Canton CT-800. The stratus are more "accurate", but the other two are more open and dynamic and really sound big. Maybe...
  3. Drum

EPI-100 vs Dayton Audio BR-1

I have not heard the BR-1, but the EPI is going to be hard to beat. It has an advantage in woofer and cabinet size, so bass should be much better. The tweeter is also very good.
  4. Drum

Best/your favorite sounding vintage receiver under $500 today?

Love my Sony STR-GX9ES. Easily available for under $500. Evan a 10ES would be under $500. I know some may not consider these vintage, but they are 30 years old now.
  5. Drum

New to Audio - have NAD Receivers 7225pe & 712 - which to keep?

If you have strong stations nearby and don't want to string anything up you could probably get by with a paper clip. :)
  6. Drum

New to Audio - have NAD Receivers 7225pe & 712 - which to keep?

7225PE for me. I need to have loudness compensation. Adds a lot when listening at low levels.
  7. Drum

Why do I like these '80s and '90s Onkyo receivers so much?

Interesting that you also have EPI 202's. Did you rewire yours - if not they should have a switch for 4 or 16 ohms. In 16 ohm mode they would be extremely easy to drive. I rewired/recapped mine and left out the switch. They are permanently in 4 ohm mode and they seem to be very easy to...
  8. Drum

Oykyo TX-SR805 one of the big boys with nudes

Love my NR807. Sounds great in stereo. Really makes mp3's come alive.
  9. Drum

Could not walk away from this Sony ESpecially at that price...

Love mine GX9ES, but wish I had the copper back of the 10. I know it is a bit gimmicky, but it looks great.
  10. Drum

Bought a pair of Cerwin Vega VS-150 yesterday

What color of danish oil did you use - Cherry or Natural?
  11. Drum

how-can-30-year-old-receivers-sound-better-than-new-ones?

Agree that late 80's is now vintage. Love my late 80's ES that I snagged recently. Lots of power, controls I like (I can't stand anything with menus) and looks good. The ginormous remote is a bonus. I think this is a sweet spot for equipment now.
  12. Drum

PSB Stratus Mini?

I own these (first gen) and they are fantastic. Surprising bass for a small size. I had them on their stands about 3 ft from my desk and the papers on my desk would flutter with every deep bass note (port was the same height as my desk). Some say they lack a little bit of sparkle, but in...
  13. Drum

40 hz is low! 15Khz is high!

That's about where I am. Too much loud music as a kid I suppose. The only way I would know I can't hear the high stuff is through test tones. When I listen to music I still hear the shimmer of a triangle or cymbal and the high violin notes. Basically everything sounds like it always has.
  14. Drum

Best Looking Receiver of all Time

Well that's embarrassing. Guess I didn't read closely enough. Why leave the lights off when that is such an integral part of how a receiver looks?
  15. Drum

Best Looking Receiver of all Time

Did you really say how much you like the orange indicator and then post a pic with the power off? ;)
  16. Drum

Any hidden gems left?

The gems are just getting younger. There is a lot of late 80's and 90's gear that people get rid of that is not "vintage" yet, but can be had for a song. Just need to find that constantly moving sweet spot. Remember when AVR's first came out and 70's Monster receivers were just considered old...
  17. Drum

Need a tutorial on connecting preamp to receiver.

Run the Nikko into the Main In. The Pre - out can be open, but I have seen plastic covers that some use.
  18. Drum

Bookshelf Speakers vs. Floorstanding Speakers

I had a pair of BP-8's back in the 90's that I did not like the sound of at first. I put them in a closet and ran them for a few days and they were much better. They had really recessed kids that opened up a lot after break in.
  19. Drum

Does the size of the Volume knob matter?

I love large volume knobs. I have a small knob on my Proton D940 and it is really a pain getting fine volume adjustments at low level. Kind of important as it is now in an office system and I need to be at a low volume the vast majority of the time. Sad thing is this one small issue kind of...
  20. Drum

Fixing up a Yamaha T-1

It is mostly settled on the local stations moving from about 60 to 65 fairly gently. It jumps about twice that much on some of the weaker stations. Sounds like this is pretty normal, so I won't worry. What happened to the M504 - got me worried now.
  21. Drum

Fixing up a Yamaha T-1

OK - I can do that. Thanks. Does the signal strength generally jump around a lot on these? It seems to be constantly moving.
  22. Drum

Fixing up a Yamaha T-1

No. When the power is off the indicator is to the right, though not quite as much as what the true center tune appears to be. Thanks,
  23. Drum

Dynaco A25 - mirror image pair?

On an iphone when I send a picture to myself it gives me a choice of several sizes and I usually chose large. Not sure what android does.
  24. Drum

Fixing up a Yamaha T-1

I really like the performance of my t-80, but I wanted something with that analog glow, so I grabbed a T-1 that needed some work. Bonus is the green and black goes well with my Onkyo M504, I have replaced the bulbs and painted the tuning and signal strength indicators (came out well I...
Back
Top Bottom