Search results

1. nmwhitneyjr

Fisher 800C Restoration Troubleshooting

Finally finished replacing all of the caps/cans on my 800c. Cleaned the pots/switches. Cleaned the tube sockets/replaced tubes. Hooked up a pair of speakers. Plugged it into my DBT. Prayed. Threw the switch. Bulb came on... but not at full brightness. No smells, pops or smoke. I...
  2. nmwhitneyjr

800C dial glass woes

This is not really a question, just shamelessly looking for sympathy. Pulled the 800C dial glass to clean it this morning and noticed (even before removing the glass) the numbers were already delaminating. I went back and looked at the pics I took of the unit when I brought it home, and yep...
  3. nmwhitneyjr

Can't see S*** Captain - Fisher 800c - C118

I'm recapping my Fisher 800c. No issues but one. I. Can't. Find. C118. I can't find it on the schematic. I can't seem to locate it on the chassis. I've been playing "where's waldo" with this for 3 hours now. Anyone familiar with Fisher 800c's feel like doing me a solid and telling me where...
  4. nmwhitneyjr

Prophylactic Transformer Re-varnishing

I'm throwing this out there just to get opinions. I recently picked up a Fisher 800c. The transformers have some surface rust. I haven't ohmed out the taps yet (NGL I haven't done anything to it yet). But I got to thinking after reading this thread...
  5. nmwhitneyjr

Fisher 800c - one owner, original tubes

So I was searching for AA5 type radios on FB Marketplace the other day and stumbled across a listing for an 800c for $600 usd. Come to find out it belonged to the owner's father who bought it new in '62 (or thereabouts). It's been sitting in a carport storage room for the last couple decades...
  6. nmwhitneyjr

Speaker Query : V-M 1428

I’ve been running a pair of Nova 8B’s (with videolady crossover mod)... but I’m not convinced they are a good match for my Voice of Music 1428 integrated amp. I’ve located a pair of Wharfedale W60D’s that seem to be in good shape and have had the caps replaced in the crossovers. Would these be...
  7. nmwhitneyjr

6EU7's or 12AX7's with adapter?

Months ago I recapped my Voice of Music 1428 amp. It needed tubes, badly. I replaced the 4 EL84's and the 12AX7's. I never replaced the 6EU7's. The amp uses 3. My understanding is that the 6EU7 and 12AX7 are essentially the same, but for the pinout. I have the room in the case to use an...
  8. nmwhitneyjr

V-M System Up and Running

Finally completed the re-cap and clean up of my Voice of Music 1428 amp... which obviously led to the purchase of a 1416 Tuner (and the 1441 Stereo adapter). Speakers are a minty pair of Radio Shack Nova 8B's with the videolady201 crossover mod. The turntable is a BIC 980. This system sounds...
  9. nmwhitneyjr

Dual 1228q vs BIC 980

I have a BIC 980 I’m very happy with. I overpaid for it, had to put a cartridge on it and then had to disassemble, clean and lube it. I’ve got a line on a DUAL 1228q for $80 that needs a cart and a disassembly/lube. Would it be worth the effort to pick up?
  10. nmwhitneyjr

JansZen 130

Found a pair of these in nice cosmetic shape... I know they are electrostats that we’re generally paired with a woofer (not included here). Seller affirms they work. Any opinions?
  11. nmwhitneyjr

Going to ReCap my V-M 1428

I've never done this before, so I'm going to start slow... electrolytics only. According to the Sam's Photofacts, there aren't that many electrolytics to begin with. I plan on restuffing the cans, if possible (but I sent a query to Hayseed Hamfest just in case I lose my nerve). I've done...
  12. nmwhitneyjr

No Longer a Tube Amp Virgin... V-M 1428

I took a 6 hour road trip to pick up this little Voice of Music 1428 integrated amp. I've wanted to get into tubes and the price on this was affordable. The owner had a few things replaced... one tube socket, a couple failing caps and the power cord. He also had the bias set. Seemed like...
  13. nmwhitneyjr

Voice of Music 1484 Receiver - What Would You Pay?

Found a Voice of Music 1484 receiver on CL. Seller is asking $75 but reports that it won't power on. Not much info to be had on the internets about this model... that's gotten me even more interested in it. I'm a sucker for the older, (sixties-early seventies) not-so-well-known solid state...
  14. nmwhitneyjr

Lafayette LR-810 - new acquisition

I gotta say, I'm a big fan of the form factor. It's small (fits on my desk). It's not flashy. And the layout is simple... just like I like it. I found this on Craig'slist for $50. Bought from the original owner AND included the Owner's Manual. It has a very warm sound through my old Polk...
  15. nmwhitneyjr

Claricon 36-350 Receiver - info wanted

I picked up one of these of off Craigslist the other day for a mere $25. I know it's not a McIntosh or even remotely similar, but there is VERY little information on the internets about the receiver or the company, Claricon. It looks like they made a lot of walkie talkies and CB radios back in...
Back
Top Bottom