Search results

1. lattiboy

Highly recommend a new album, Dijon - Absolutley

It is exceedingly rare to hear something actually new and novel, and I think the album from (mostly TikTok famous) musician Dijon is very worth your time. I don't even love all of it, but I've listened to it three times now and it's incredibly interesting and raw. The engineering/recording is...
  2. lattiboy

The Cayin RU6 DAP / DAC is utterly frustrating, but sounds incredible

Unusable on my iphone because of power restrictions over lightening, no external volume control from any device, doesn't play nice with the BlueSound node, no line out, and kind of bulky. That's all the bad, and it is kind of a big list. The good? It’s by far the best sounding headphone DAC /...
  3. lattiboy

Recommendations for a mid-priced tube preamp

Hello, I’m looking for something a few steps up from one of those FX Audio $50 tube preamps, but still under $500 (new or used). Two outputs would be nice; but not necessary. Also, the ability to run in passive mode. Totally fine with Chinese brands as I’ve generally had great luck with their...
  4. lattiboy

The Vandersteen Treo CTs, diminishing returns, and the end of (audio) history

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you look around a room and realize, “I don’t belong here and everybody knows it.”? Growing up lower-middle class in the US and being in constant economic peril until about the age of 30, I sure have. This is the story of how a pair of speakers...
  5. lattiboy

Run a single-ended stereo tube amp to a mono speaker?

Hi all, I have an great little APPJ EL34 tube amp, but it doesn't have a set of speakers for me to use with it at the moment. I also have a DIY Alpair 12p-based center channel speaker that is quite sensitive and sounds incredible. I think the APPJ would absolutely sing with this speaker. It's...
  6. lattiboy

Tube amp conundrum

Hi all, I’m looking to bi-amp (had bi-wire there at first!) my Vandersteen Treo CTs and need some help. 1) I have this tube amp, which I think is very good! I upgraded the 6n2 with some gold lion tubes and was quite happy with the performance. However, one of the stock 6P1 tubes gave out and I...
  7. lattiboy

The emotional roller coaster of learning to love the THX Onyx dongle DAC

I recently acquired a pair of Vandersteen Treo CTs that made me reevaluate my whole audio set up. This is what I have learned about DACs and streaming: I am a 99% digital streamer. Outside of the very occasional record spin, I use Tidal and occasionally YouTube and PlexDash for things not...
  8. lattiboy

The new Big Thief album sounds incredible

Hi all, Not often do you hear a spectacular “live room” album from a newer band in their prime and at the height of their success, but the new one from Big Thief is just that. Jaw-dropping room acoustics as good as any live recording I’ve heard, incredible imaging and separation, just a joy to...
  9. lattiboy

Subwoofer recommendation needed ($500 or less)

Hi there, I am looking to get a very tight and fast subwoofer to match with Vandersteen Treo CTs. The CTs have extraordinary bass down to 30-35Hz which I wouldn’t want to change much at all, but that last 10-15Hz I am used to just isn’t there. My budget is $500 or less, used or new (I...
  10. lattiboy

Vandersteen Treo CTs…. Which integrated?

Hey all, I fell bass-akwards into a pair of Vandersteen Treo CTs and now have to get an integrated amp that will realize their promise. Even on my Chi Fi 8W tube amp (admittedly upgraded with high end components and tubes) they sound extraordinary, but from what I’ve read they really open up...
  11. lattiboy

Black Country, New Road album is the best thing I’ve heard in over a decade

The new album is called “Ants From Up There” is artistically and sonically the best thing I’ve heard since Radiohead “In Rainbows”. I won’t go into too much analysis, but I would implore anybody who cares about music to take an hour and listen with the best system you can. If you’re not willing...
  12. lattiboy

Using a subwoofer with only LFE inputs with a receiver lacking sub out....

Hello all, I've got a MK V75 mkii subwoofer I absolutely love, but I recently replaced my Denon X3600H with a small tube amp lacking subwoofer out. I need a way to incorporate the sub into my system and am unclear on the best way to do this. Source is a Chromecast audio going into a Tubemagic...
  13. lattiboy

Onkyo D-77RX : the best speakers you didn’t know existed

Man o’ man, I didn’t need another set of speakers (as evidenced by the surrounding sets pictured below), but these Onkyo D-77RX are close to GOAT status to my ears. Got them off the son of a marine in Okinawa who thought so highly of them he paid to have these 60lb a piece (!!!) bookshelf’s...
  14. lattiboy

B&W CMD-NT7 tweeter.... is it unobtainable?

Hey there, I picked a pair of these up today for a steal and of course one of the tweeters is not functioning. The silver surface is crumpled, but not punctured. I’ve searched all over for part ZC12092 , but to no avail. can anybody recommend a repair service or a source? Thanks!
  15. lattiboy

Denon S750H: shockingly good sounding HT amp with tons of connectivity options

Just thought I’d write a quick impression of this budget receiver. I picked up mine used for about 250 bucks, which seems to be pretty regularly available price in my area on craigslist or offer up. I was getting sick of using vintage flagship receivers in my living room setup. Having remote...
  16. lattiboy

Speaker Factory SF12s, Seattle, WA

Hey all, I would normally nab these, but I’m turning over a new leaf! supposedly these are very well built with quite nice components. Looks like peerless tweets and 12” woofers. Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/GHBeHm6wYbb
  17. lattiboy

DIY REL Neutrik Speakon to 3 bare wire cable?

Hi all, I got a REL T3 for cheap and would like to get a 3 wire cable to do the high level input. The one from REL is $450 (lol!) https://rel.net/shop/accessories/bassline-blue/ it seems like the Speakon connectors are $5 and I have a ton of speaker cable. does anybody know what contacts to...
  18. lattiboy

McIntosh newbie needs help and advice on MX135

Hi all, I’ve never owned a Mac separate until today. I was able to get a heck of a deal on a fully functioning MX135. From everything I’ve read, the preamplifier section is about as good as anything out there, and I do not plan on taking advantage of any of the (now completely outdated) video...
  19. lattiboy

Standout center channel speaker?

Hello all, I’ve got a set of full range Canton CT120 speakers. I love them and they’re perfect, but I’m having a difficult time finding a center channel to match. I’ll be running it with a Denon 3600H AVR driving only the center speaker. I currently have a Boston Acoustics VR 12, which is a...
  20. lattiboy

Price check on JVC QL5 with Jelco arm

Hello, I was looking around for a turntable and while buying a preamp the guy mentioned he was selling his prized TT. I didn’t get the specific arm model, but this dude is into some pretty high end stuff. Here’s some photos he texted me:
  21. lattiboy

Tube DAC (or preamp) with auto off feature?

Hi all, I’m looking to get a tube DAC I don’t have to worry about leaving on. Is there anything you folks can recommend? If not, is there a 3rd party “sound sensor” that can toggle power off and on anything!
  22. lattiboy

Canton CT-120 price check

Hey there, picked up a mahogany set of these locally for $650 and was wondering what the actual going rate would be. This is the massive 4-way 90s tower. I feel like I underpaid significantly.
  23. lattiboy

The Canton CT-120s are the best speakers I’ve ever heard and I’m sad about it

The title of the post is the conclusion of the review, so if you’re not looking to read a mid-pandemic speaker fanatic wax philosophical about “audiophilia” and maybe realize the pursuit of audio perfection is futile, you can stop here. However, if you too spend an inordinate amount of time...
  24. lattiboy

Altec 615B/A duplex?

Hi everybody, I’m debating picking up a pair of these, there is practically no information about them online except for the original ad flyers. Some people say the 615 is the commercial version of the 605, others say the HF cutoff is 12K, so they’re worthless for HiFi. These are in...
  25. lattiboy

Triangle Borea BR08: these idiot savants shine with the right content

It’s not often I make gear purchases on a whim. However, when Adorama had the Triangle BR08s on sale for $900 a pair, I just kind of clicked “buy”. I’d seen a ton of reviews for the BR03 all saying essentially, these are the new kings of budget audio (inevitably to be replaced by a new “king”...
Back
Top Bottom