Search results

1. justjed2

Headshell differences...

My pre-MkII SL-1800 normally wears an Ortofon 2M Bronze, on an Ortofon SH-4 headshell. The 2M series doesn't work on the standard Technics headshell, as the slider mounts the cart from beneath, and the 2Ms mount from the top with threaded holes. I'd never had much cause to complain, tho, and...
  2. justjed2

Lessons from a listening session....

Hi, my name is JED, and I'm an audioholic. Not the good stuff tho.... My gear is crappy. I know it is, because the good folks here have told me as much, on occasion. My speakers are relatively cheap home theater boxes. I got them to move more air than the speakers they replaced, and they do...
  3. justjed2

Burn-in....

I installed a new piece in my system Tuesday evening, and listened for a couple of hours. It sounded decent for about two minutes, then the mids and highs were overtaken by muddy, bloated bass. I'd been warned about a burn/break-in period, but I was not really prepared for what I heard. After...
  4. justjed2

An experiment...

Had a bit of fun over the weekend, experimenting with bi-amping. I have a pair of 125w Marantz mono-block amps as my daily drivers, and a 125wpc stereo amp that was not being used. And, since my wife was going out of town for a day or so, it seemed like a good time to make a mess with some...
  5. justjed2

IV. Another one gone... Neil Peart of Rush

RIP, Neil Peart. Aged 67....
  6. justjed2

Need some help...

I have a first-gen Technics SL-1800. I was under the impression that the tonearm lift operated off of a belt, and that the drop speed was dependent on the speed with which you moved the lever. But the manual says it is viscous damped, and should have a reservoir for the silicone fluid somewhere...
  7. justjed2

Technics question...

Just bought an Ortofon 2M Bronze. Put it on an Ortofon SH-4 headshell, did a basic alignment using an Ortofon protractor. Overall pleased with the results. Thin, somewhat raggedy sound. About what I expected. After a couple of hours, it found its voice. Bass tightened up somewhat, mids have more...
  8. justjed2

A question...

I just got my Kenwood Basic C-2 back after a serious overhaul. Everything seems to be fine except that the left channel of the headphone stage seems to have a short to ground somewhere, no output, just a 60hz hum that doesn't change with the volume. Doesn't seem to affect any other circuit. I'm...
  9. justjed2

A bit of help, maybe?

I have a Technics Sl-1800, not the MkII. No adjustable tonearm height. Running a Shure/Realistic R47XT, with an LP Gear hyperelliptical stylus. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the sound, probably 15-20 hours on it. It seems to display some sibilance, on some records more than others. While the...
  10. justjed2

Minor technical question...

I have a Technics Sl-1800, not the Mk II, and it sounds pretty good with a 2M Blue. Alignment was fairly quick and easy, but this tonearm has no VTA adjustment. I am kicking around the idea of upgrading to the 2M Bronze, which I understand can be a bit finicky in some arms. Are there any serious...
  11. justjed2

Technics question...

I just bought a Technics Sl-1800. I've read just enough to know that there is an 1800, and an 1800mk II. What is the difference, and how do I tell which one I have? By the way, it sounds very good with a 2M Blue! Quite happy, regardless....
  12. justjed2

Odd malfunction...

Running an old Pioneer PL-514. Recently, the tone-arm seems to be slamming back into the rest, even bouncing off of it a couple of times, instead of just bumping it. I've never seen this before, but think it would be likely to affect the cartridge alignment if it continues. Any ideas?
  13. justjed2

Is it just me?

Has anyone else noticed the ad for the Dyson v8 at the top of the AK home-page, and how much it looks like a high-end tone-arm?
  14. justjed2

Cable question...

I'm bi-wiring a pair of speakers. My cables to the bass are 10ft. The ones to the mid/tweets are 8ft. I'm of the personal opinion that with this short of cable runs, the time differential is only microseconds, and probably not noticeable by anyone or anything outside of some laboratory...
  15. justjed2

Not entirely sure how it would work...

I'm considering adding headphone capability to my system. I have separates, but no headphone out on my pre-amp, and no fixed output either. If I get a Schiit Magni, can I turn the volume about 3/4 of the way up, and then just use the remote volume on my pre to control the Magni, or would the...
Back
Top Bottom