Search results

1. The Shocker

Is leaving a turntable sitting around unused for an extended period bad for the belts in it?

My problem is when I look at things up close, like you need to when aligning a cartridge, my eyes go cross-eyed and everything goes out of focus. I end up using magnifying glasses and getting my kids to help. That's why I was so happy when I discovered p-mount. It made alignment bulletproof. I...
  2. The Shocker

Is leaving a turntable sitting around unused for an extended period bad for the belts in it?

This video clearly shows how the cartridge has a major effect on IGD: My AT-VM95ML got rid of all my inner groove distortion.
  3. The Shocker

IGD goes away with Microline sylii. That problem is "fixed" for me, And for most of my old records, they sound clean. But recent used purchases and new vinyl is a crap shoot I am not willing to take any more. Vinyl Records are not the format for me. I tried for a few years, and it didn't work...
  4. The Shocker

And spending more money will eliminate the surface noise in my existing LPs? I'll never hear a pop or click again?
  5. The Shocker

I have a huge issue with meticulous cartridge setup. It's a huge PITA and I don't like doing it. The last 2 tables I bought are p-mount just to avoid that pain. I'm actually really surprised that the simplicity of p-mount hasn't made a comeback with the vinyl resurgence. if you like to tinker...
  6. The Shocker

Modern CD players can't do gapless playback?

One thing I think is true. If you want to listen to good high-quality audio, it is MUCH cheaper to do it onh a CD Player than it is to do it in the analog domain. I can buy a used Sony Discman right now on eBay for probably $20. I can plug the line out into any competent systems, AUX in, buy a...
  7. The Shocker

I know some formats natively support gapless playback and others don't. MP3 does not. various MP3 players and computer software work around the problem. But there's no standardized way to do it. AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, ALAC, and Opus all have a standardized way to deal with gapless playback. So...
  8. The Shocker

I have a Panasonic portable CD player with skip protection. I'll turn on the skip protection and test a CD and see if it does gapless playback. I think it will because it buffers for 40 seconds. I know I've seen portable CD players in the past where the CD would stop spinning after about 2...
  9. The Shocker

If I had to guess, a lot of the CD manufacturers, probably made compact displayers using some off the shelf mechanism they got from China. They wrap their own boards around it, their own power supply, and they test and tune it based on reference compact discs they have in their library. None of...
  10. The Shocker

Oh, I agree there. The Steve Wilson remixes of the Tull catalog are great.
  11. The Shocker

I've started use a service called privacy.com. It lets you generate unique card numbers per site. That way if a service gets hacked and they get your card number, they can't do anything with it because it won't work anywhere else. You can also set a spending limit per transaction.
  12. The Shocker

It's the whole familiarity breeds content thing. I have a friend who's a HUGE Led Zeppelin fan. When the new remasters came out in the 2000s, he did not like them at all. But I think that was just because they sounded different than what he was used to. I often have that same problem with...
  13. The Shocker

My card got damaged. I had the bank issue a new one. It had a new number. Forgot that YouTube Premium was tied to that card. Kids complained they couldn't listen to their music. Stuff happens sometimes. Now I keep better notes of what autopay is tied to what cards, so that doesn't happen again...
  14. The Shocker

Funny that you should mention that. I remember back in the 90s, buying some remastered albums by The Who and wondering WTF they did to the CD release that made it sound so off. I found out a few years ago that a good chuck of The Who catalog got remixed for some of the 90s remasters. And...
  15. The Shocker

My biggest problem with streaming is that you are renting your music. Should you forget to make your payment, then you lose access to your music. I've partially mitigated that by ripping my CDs, and setting up my own streaming server. But I'm in IT. I'm geeky enough to pull that off. My kids...
  16. The Shocker

I thought mine would, especially with how excited they were that I got back back into records for a few years. But they're still just using YouTube music. i did buy them good headphones though to use with their phones and laptops.
  17. The Shocker

That is a good point. The the yungins wanna called them vinyls, it shouldn't bother me. I should more concerned that curse words are becoming part of normal polite conversation these days rather than what people call various record formats. I guess I'm turning into one of those "Get off my...
  18. The Shocker

He lives with me. He has full access to my entire collection whenever he wants. I've offered to put a turntable in his room. He wants them, but he never listens to them. A lot Gen Z buy records and never play them.
  19. The Shocker

I call them records. I don't know why, but the term "vinyls" irritates the crap out of me. Maybe because I'm old and back in the day we always used "Record" and not "vinyl." I remember all the commercials would say 'Available on record, cassette and compact disc."
  20. The Shocker

Well for one, they records not vinyls. I don't listen to "aluminums." :)
  21. The Shocker

I remember when Apple came out with the iTunes LP. The entire album was packaged with liner notes, additional videos, and other potential cool addons. Sadly, no one cared, and the format died.
  22. The Shocker

Streaming is very convenient. I just wish it came with the liner notes. I'm glad that more new music on streaming services comes with lyrics now. Lyrics are VERY important to me. My "best of both worlds" situation is to own the CD, rip it, and add it to my in-home streaming server. That way I...
  23. The Shocker

It might. But I could spend thousands on a turntable and not get past the surface noise problems I have with most vinyl records. Elimination of surface noise and a quiet noise floor are more important to me than anything else. Records can't get me that, especially on headphones. I gave it a go...
  24. The Shocker

I agree. Obviously, the problem still exists in some models. The latest CD players from Yamaha don't do gapless, which is a shame. But gapless playback is a feature of CD players. I would not expect CD players to even exist that don't do gapless playback. That fact that even ONE exists, is a...
  25. The Shocker

Well, I can only speak from my limited experience. On the tables that I own, the cart is what makes or breaks my tables.
Back
Top Bottom