Search results

1. Carbon13

Fisher 500c left channel issue

I've been having a problem where the left channel on my fisher 500c cuts out. I can usually get it back on by working the input selector. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Thanks!
  2. Carbon13

Forte 1 crossover mods

OK, a bit of background. I have a pair of forte 1s that I've upgraded with Bob Crites (RIP) tweeters and caps. The crossovers were moved to a separate board when I did the caps. I've been playing them with my Fisher 500c and they sound great but need a bit of tone control to get the bass I like...
  3. Carbon13

Halfway through the tube rabbit hole...

So my system is a restored Fisher 500c feeding klipsch forte 1s, also fully restored with crites tweeter and crossovers. Source is primarily vinyl- restored and modded ARXA, dl103 cart and project ds2 phono tube box. My room is fairly large but wide and shallow, not ideal but the fortes seem to...
  4. Carbon13

Decware zkit parts list

I'm looking to build a decware zkit for a bit of fun. As I looked over the parts list there were many parts that are obsolete. Plus there are many opportunities to use better quality parts or alternative parts for chassis mount. I put together the attached revised parts list and posted over on...
  5. Carbon13

Marantz 140 peak indicator light on

I have an old 140 and the left channel peak indicator light is on. I looked through some old threads and I think I've narrowed it down to a couple transistors on the meter board. They are 2SC945 (Q or R). Looking online, I see three options...
  6. Carbon13

Help with Fisher 500C redplate

So I had my 500C professional restored by a tech about 2 years ago because I didn't feel confident doing it myself. I can solder and follow instructions but I was a bit overwhelmed by this one so I decided to leave this one to a professional. I scraped a bunch of info from here and shared with...
  7. Carbon13

Tube rolling Fisher 500c and project DS2 phono

I spent the weekend rolling tubes in my Fisher 500c and project ds2 phono preamp. Tubes I had on hand were 12ax7s: Sovtek LPS Genelex gold lion gold pins Tung sol reissue Electro harmonics Balswins (used) And NOS sylvania 5751s Rolling the v14/v15 in the Fisher, the 5751s were the winners...
  8. Carbon13

Fisher 500c broken tap wire

Hi there, my tap wire broke and before I solder it back together I just want to double check the position. It looks obvious where it should go but I want to be sure. Pic shows where wire enters the chassis (blue arrow) and where it looks like it should solder (red arrow). Please let me know if...
  9. Carbon13

tube amp upgrade?

I'm currently feeding my Klipsch Forte 1s (with crites upgrades) from a fully (professionally) restored Fisher 500c. I absolutely love the tube sound and it's great but... I'm starting to wonder i) Is the Fisher more than I need? I don't use tuner, phonostage (external) or other inputs. Also...
  10. Carbon13

Hegel h90 ht bypass?

I just picked up a denon avr3600 for my livingroom 5.1 system. I also have a hegel h90 that I use for 2 channel. I know that the h90 has ht bypass and the denon can preout the fronts, but is it worthwhile doing? My biggest concern is convenience. Will the h90 come out of standby or do I have to...
  11. Carbon13

First pair of cans

Just picked up my first pair of decent headphones. I went with the hifiman deva because I really like the versatility. So far I am pretty impressed with the sound quality, even through bluetooth. Fun cans for sure.
  12. Carbon13

Pioneer SE-L-20A Headphone restoration - wiring help!

I'm in the process of restoring a set of these headphones but I'm a bit unsure of the wiring on the 6.35mm plug. Here's a pic from the internet on the left speaker wiring: It looks like the white would be white is left channel (ie. centre pin on 6.35mm plug). The black is summed and goes with...
  13. Carbon13

LS-890 tweeter

I have a set of LS890 speakers that I have fully restored except one tweeter just died. I couldn't see any break in the wires but I tried reflowing the solder anyway, no luck. Any other suggestions on how to repair or where I may be able to find a replacement would be welcome. Thanks!
  14. Carbon13

Project Tube Box DS2 Phono Preamp...and one man's journey so far...

It's been approx. 8 years since I started into this hobby; not that long compared to many on this forum. One thing I've come to realize is that this hobby/obsession is a never-ending journey with lots of twists and turns and ups and downs. However, every so often there's an epiphany. One of...
  15. Carbon13

Crites titanium tweeter on Forte 1

Just installed the crites titanium tweeter in a pair of original Forte 1s. I'm very pleased with the results so far. Listening to Joni Mitchell Blue, her vocals seem more natural and "airy" in presence. Piano notes I couldn't really tell much difference but acoustic guitar notes were very...
  16. Carbon13

Tube Kit recommendations

Hi all, I've been running my rebuilt Fisher 500C for a while now and it sounds great, really enjoying it but...you know how this hobby goes...always looking for an "upgrade". Also, the Fisher is a big unit that I really don't need all it's functionality. I really only listen to vinyl on it...
  17. Carbon13

trouble shooting turntable/receivers

Ok, I have a weird one. 2 turntables, an ARXA and a TD124. The ARXA has RCA jacks and connects through separate RCA cables from blue jeans. The TD124 has a SME 3009 mounted with original cables and connectors. 2 receivers: a solid state yamaha CR2040 and a Fisher 500C tube. Both have been...
  18. Carbon13

Recap help on LS-890

I picked-up a pair of Kenwood LS-890s on the cheap a while back and although conventional wisdom is Kenwood speakers generally suck (sorry if that offends anyone but...), these really impressed me. So much so, I'm going to spend a bit of effort to restore them. Cabs are in rough shape but I'm a...
  19. Carbon13

Forte 1 restoration

Just picked up a pair of Forte's in natural oak with the round, 4 ohm labeled terminals. I'm planning to do a fairly extensive restoration on the cabinets, partly because they were in a smokey environment and they do smell. So I plan to strip down the oak veneer and refinish. I will give the the...
  20. Carbon13

Fisher 500c tube noob

As I'm sure you all know, this hobby is a slippery slope. Started out with speakers, then vintage turntables, then onto some excellent vintage receivers and now I've finally made the jump into tubes! I picked up this Fisher 500C this past weekend, it was in great cosmetic condition and the guy...
  21. Carbon13

Kenwood LS 890s

Just picked these up. They look rough but they sound terrific! I'm going to clean them up, fix the cabinets and re-do the x-overs once I get my current projects finished up. Anyone else have a pair of these or worked on them? Any advice would be welcome.
  22. Carbon13

ARXA Restoration, where to start?

Just obtained this ARXA. Looks rough but motor is running well and quiet. I'm pretty handy with woodworking so a new or refinished plinth will be coming. The top plate will be stripped down and repainted. Wondering about other mods to arm and suspension? Any guides or advice would be welcome...
  23. Carbon13

Yamaha cr2040 LEDs

I read somewhere that the meter bulbs are needed to drain residual voltage or you get pops. I'm wondering if there would be any issue replacing these with LEDs. Anyone done this?
  24. Carbon13

MP-110 cartridge alignment on Thorens TD-160

As per the title, I have a TD-160 with the original TP-16 arm but no alignment gauge. I installed an MP-110 cart using a homemade shim to get it close to these measurements: http://www.rbs-thorens.eu/services/cartridge-alignment-and-tonearm-settings/ I did align the cart with the proper...
  25. Carbon13

Ariston RD11S rocker switch

I'm in the process of the restoring an RD11S. The power switch is an illuminated red rocker type switch with 5 pins (although only wired with 3 wires). While I was disassembling, the little plastic inserts broke on the switch as they were really brittle. I found a non-illuminated (which I...
Back
Top Bottom