Search results

1. visman

Real JBL Paragon for sale Phoenix Metro area

Also the curved section is notched at the bottom - is it fake or just a really bad restoration?
  2. visman

The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Oh, my comment was in good fun. I have absolutely no doubt the SOTA DD will be substantially improved over my upgraded Star Sapphire - which still holds good speed - but nothing like the Orion!
  3. visman

The Official SOTA Turntable Thread

Going from belt drive to DD to improve speed control and W&F - this is deja vu all over again!
  4. visman

How do you value the tubes (and other goodies) in your gear (when selling)

I’m not sure how “professional” it is but I have a B&K Model 747 which is a solid state mutual conductance tester. It’s easily calibrated and I have relied on it’s results for years.
  5. visman

This seems to be the right answer - luckily tubes are easy to sell and ship. Part of me hates doing this as these “The Fisher 12AX7’s” were original to the 500B - but I agree they will not get me a better price. Thanks all for the feedback.
  6. visman

Looking for an expert on old vinyl

Records and value are funny - I bought a box of 45’s and entered them on Discogs - occasional $3-$5 ones and then I hit the one in my avatar - that one has sold for $436.71 ! Mine is mint and signed by the artist. You have to go through every one to know what you have. Just because the first 99...
  7. visman

Yes we have a few receivers on display and playing music (or streaming videos) - we also sell cassettes and records (probably her biggest seller) and let clients play them before buying. We are space limited as the store is the main floor only - maybe 900 sq ft).
  8. visman

So I have some gear for sale in my wife's vintage shop - when setting price levels everyone says”go to ebay”. But typically ebay doesn’t set a value on the installed tubes and other add-ons. I can price them separately - but when you add it up it seems way too high. For example, I have a...
  9. visman

Crime of the Mid Century

Outstanding work! Thanks for posting progress!
  10. visman

Balance on X-101B

Do a full deoxit treatment of all controls (including switches). Each pot has a left/right section so be sure to get into both sections (especially volume). Work each pot/switch at least 20 times. If that doesn’t solve the problem start looking at the tubes. Switching the power tube pair is a...
  11. visman

Fisher 500B Volume Pot Challange

OK, well I opened her up and did two things - made sure all wires to volume control were separated and no opportunity for shorts or grounds (there is a lot of wires connected to the volume pot). Second a full deoxit of all controls (especially the volume pot). Now it works as it should - thanks...
  12. visman

Thanks Dave, I’ve used this same receiver on FM prior to this episode without issue - could be a new broadcast I suppose. The right channel comes on at 50% volume (loud) while the left behaves as designed. I’ll open her up today and take a look. Jan
  13. visman

So I fully recapped my 500B 7 or 8 years ago had it working 100% and put her on the shelf. Today I decided to bring her up on a variac and make sure it was still 100%. Well I have an odd problem - on FM the right channel comes on at significant volume. Volume control still works (i.e. it can get...
  14. visman

JBL L100 Century or 4312A

Some folks around here like to crap on the L100’s. I don’t think that’s entirely fair. They clearly have a following and are enjoyed by many. I wonder if those folks are listening to fully restored L100’s dialed into their sound preference (presence & brilliance)? Are there better speakers -...
  15. visman

DIY Rek-O-Kut Headshell Pin Replacement

One additional update - I couldn’t file the brass rod down without it breaking in my drill chuck (probably too darn clumsy). However, I found a pin on digikey that will work as a replacement It’s gold plated copper and cheap. The only downside is the fat part of the pin is hollow - but I found...
  16. visman

Hartley Zodiac 75’s

Me too! It will be spring/summer as our carriage house will be the venue for the comparison (it’s not heated). Driven by both tube and solid state. All the speaker pairs have had required service done - including updated crossovers. In every case (except the Quartets) they are restored to...
  17. visman

Hartley Zodiac 75’s

That could very well be correct - the speakers came with two different dead Philips tweeters - I elected to replace with the one that “looked original” - In terms of internal installation. The second tweeter (pic attached) had clearly been added at a later date - based on the amateur...
  18. visman

Hartley Zodiac 75’s

The Klipsch Quartets are efficient - though I converted the tweeters to LMAHL’s (Machined Aluminum Audio Horn Lenses) and not sure if that impacted efficiency. They do sound very nice. I didn’t splurge on the caps - eBay description… “Audiophiler 12uF ±5% 250V Metallized Polypropylene Speaker...
  19. visman

Hartley Zodiac 75’s

Quick update on my Hartley Zodiacs. Both tweeters were dead and I elected to replace them with the original Philips AD0160-T8’s which were still available on the bay (NOS no less). I did replace the caps and reused the inductors. I built a pair of grill’s using materials on hand (including...
  20. visman

DIY Rek-O-Kut Headshell Pin Replacement

I wanted to provide an update on springs. The 0.1mm wire springs seemed too weak to me and I ended up using 0.2mm wire - which provides plenty of “spring”. The correct spring can be found on ePay with this description - “Wire Dia 0.2mm Compression Pressure Spring OD 1.5mm L 5mm Stainless...
  21. visman

VTA Adjustment Or Lack Of

Whenever I read these discussions about various protractors I am reminded of the best system ever invented for a specific Cartridge - Shure V15-V (or variation there of). The protractor came with the cartridge - you set the protractor on the spindle and then set the body of the cartridge in the...
  22. visman

Empire Turntable Identification Prior to Purchase

I would think 2-3 hundred would be fair. Hard to say how much damage there is to the metal surface - but it may clean up for the most part. It’s a nice table when sorted.
  23. visman

Looking at picking up a Pioneer RT-707 (price thoughts)?

That seems very reasonable - plus if it is local you save big on shipping!
  24. visman

Bowie: Half Speed Master on Rhino

Certainly in my top 5 of all time! I was fortunate enough to see Bowie live in the 70’s at Toronto's O’Keefe Center on the Diamond Dog tour (which covered lots of Ziggy stuff). Most memorable was Bowie on a “spacecraft” descending from the stage ceiling singing Space Oddity. Can I assume you...
  25. visman

Bowie: Half Speed Master on Rhino

I went ahead and purchased the three Bowie Master LP’s - at some point I received a 10% off coupon at Rhino so with that each LP was less than $20. - Considering a MFSL of Ziggy commands $100+ seemed like a no brainer. I do have original pressings of all three so I will post a review.
Back
Top Bottom